Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

What makes a good tractor show?

this thread has 42 replies and has been viewed 4868 times

Old 04-03-2012, 12:01:55 PM
Subscriber

Question What makes a good tractor show?

On another forum the question was raised "What makes a good steam show". I didn't want to hijack the thread so I thought I would ask for opinions here.
We do not have any steam engines come to our show but we do try and have demonstrations with tractors and small engines. Last year we threshed, shredded and shelled corn, run an ensilage cutter, ground corn with a truck monted hammermill and burr mills.
We compete with a very popular engine show the same weekend as our show and several years ago someone really ticked the engine guys off at our show so we have a limited number of engines as well.
We have a good show overall and I would like to make it better.
I would also like thoughts and suggestions to bring more young people into our hobby
Thanks for any input
Murph
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2012, 01:34:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,258 Times in 4,198 Posts
Default Re: What makes a good tractor show?

Make it not every year.
Do it once in the 3 or 5 years.
We went to to much shows in the past.
Situation gets borring for us.

It keep the exitment much higher if you do it not every year.
And try to make it a little differend everytime with other things in it.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:06:37 PM
Registered-III

Hi Murph,
It sounds like your show has a great start with working exhibits. But, I understand about competition for certain weekends. There are some weekends when there are no shows around here. You might pick a different weekend.
As for the exhibitors that have become soured by past incidents, there is no making someone come back. Small shows have their charm. Some people don't like large crowds. This year I'm planning on attending a smaller show instead of the bigger one. It needs my support, too.

Having kid friendly grounds is helpful, too. A playground with pedal tractors that have implements attached to them for grating in the sand. Make sure there are benches so parents can take a breather, too.

I don't know what it is about a rock pulverizer but, I feel like I could sit and watch it all day. But, then again I like watching wrestling, too. My kids like watching the blacksmiths.

Kids driving tractors is done at some shows. But, I suppose there is a liability issue there and the insurance, too.

Good Luck with your show.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:32:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,400 Times in 1,543 Posts

Gas engines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HBurk For This Post:
Old 04-03-2012, 03:53:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,513 Times in 933 Posts

Good tractors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Selmer For This Post:
Old 04-03-2012, 08:33:18 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,284 Times in 4,059 Posts
Exclamation Re: What makes a good tractor show?

A tracter pull for the kids is also a good attraction, both for the kids and the adults! Give trophies for fires, and ribbons (2nd, 3rd 4th place, and participated) for all contestents. Every kid goes home with something. Just to say you participated is often good enough for a youngster. make everyone who attends welcome, and you probably will get many returns. it doesn't hurt to have a couple donation buckets around either. if visitors enjoy the show, they will show their appreciation and support. We use 5 gallon water jugs, with the clubs logo and a sign asking for donations to help make next years show even better than this one. We have a permanant fence around out engine display, and the donation jugs are zip tied to the fence posts. Sad to say, we used to have then near the dorways on our display building, but someone decided he needed the money and the jug, more than we did. Cops caught him trying to leave the fair grounds with the bottle under his coat, but a passer-by, who saw the rip off gave a description to the cops. To be honest with you, we didn't even notice it had gone missing, as we had a huge crowd in the building, due to a rain storm. As we were running lights with our Lister power plant, we were the only display building with power for over an hour! We had a great turn out, and many people had said they had just walked by the building, not knowing what was inside. Our display explainers were almost hourse with all the talking they did that night!
Andrew
Old 04-03-2012, 09:04:19 PM
Registered-I

I joined a tractor club last year. They have a annual show from horse plowing,threshing, potato digging with all periods of time represented. Ill look and see if I have pics of it. I know there is alot of belt powered stuff including a rock crusher and a saw mill.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:07:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,400 Times in 1,543 Posts

And BAD tractors!
The Following User Says Thank You to HBurk For This Post:
Old 04-03-2012, 09:43:28 PM

Thanked 20,317 Times in 5,910 Posts

Sounds like you have things under control murph.......
Engines. tractors and ACTION.
ACTION is what it's all about. Have SOMETHING going on all the time so folks don't mistake your show for a museum.......

Dave Misch might pipe in about things for kids........he seems to have had some success with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 04-03-2012, 09:57:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 28,072 Times in 7,096 Posts

Any show with a big bubbling pot of beans n ham.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post: