Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Lister D type

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1420 times

Old 10-10-2015, 01:57:11 PM
Subscriber

Default Lister D type

This is a 1930 Lister D type , it came to me dismantled in several boxes, the only thing I had to do apart from put it together was to free to rings off , it started quite easily . This engine has the spoked flywheel these were often fitted to generator engines or cement mixers, this one came off a mixer.
Not the best of videos, it was taken on my phone , but you get the idea.

Thanks for looking
Nev

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Neville Bond For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2015, 05:29:09 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Lister D type

Neville,
I have a 1928 Model D missing alot , I have picked up some pieces from Stationary Engine and Ebay UK but how hard is it to get parts for it ? Need a D-104 breather cover,side cover D-70 ,screw in oil filler d-46 I know it would be better to ask on the UK Lister site but have tried 3 email address and no luck logging in. I stripped it to the last part and set everything in my dip tank and the head is finished and painted , seems the parts on ebay are mostly for the later engines . Like to hear back when you have the time ,your engine looks fine did hear about a 90 Year Rally some where in Britain . Did you make it ? Cheers Mike
Old 10-11-2015, 04:29:10 AM
Subscriber

Hi Mike
The engine I have is quite rare but not as rare as yours ! I think yours was made in the first two years of production , the screw in oil filler would be hard to find as the changed to a bolt on fitting after a few years , but you never know , there will be one in a shed somewhere , you just have to find the shed !
Could you send me a private message then I can email you ? It seems I can,t PM you ?
Good luck with the Lister.

Nev.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:49:10 AM
Subscriber

Thanks so much Neville , it is serial 85780 spec 11D2 first thing I did was download the parts breakdown,but the Overhaul Manual,The Lister D Story and the Model D Restoration book. Every time I pick something up on Ebay.UK I always ask if they have anything else,I was told a auto jumble was about 5 months away and they might be something there .I will pm you right away. Cheers Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lister on work bench.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	236593  
Old 10-17-2015, 04:41:48 AM
Subscriber

There is a Lister D rally in about 12 months to mark the 90th anniversary of the D type , I will check the part numbers you mentioned to see if I have anything in the garage, no
PM has turned up, maybe the settings you have Don,t allow it and you have to change something ??
Old 10-17-2015, 05:59:28 AM
Registered-III

I'm also registered on the UK Stationary Engine Forum, mostly so I can drool over engines that we very rarely see here in the U.S.

The Lister D is one of the more common engines available in the U.K. if I understand correctly, yet it has all the attributes that we admire, i.e., vertical construction, open flywheel, rugged reliability and just plain fun to watch. Then there's the Lister diesels, Petters and on and on.

One of these days I'm going to find the time for a trip to Great Britain. One of these days.........
The Following User Says Thank You to George Andreasen For This Post:
Old 10-17-2015, 07:23:26 AM
Registered-I

Mike-send me a PM regarding an early model Lister D I have. Thanks for your time. Kevin.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:04:43 AM
Subscriber

Morning Neville,
Sorry for the confusion I thought the messages were getting thru,anyway yesterday while looking for a parts engine I bought another from Bruce G. Thanks Bruce ! It is a Serial 83889 Spec11D2T Rpm 1,000 loaned out mu book so going by memory think it is a generator engine. It was seized when I bought it but after a good spray with Krown and a gentle rocking of the flywheel by hand it now spins free. And I have decided because of it,s age and completeness not to pick it apart but rather save the a pair of them. At least now I can clearly see what I need, going to need to ask some question Neville hope you can help .How did they lubricate the skew gears on the old engine when there was no oiler ? Was it just mist from the sump ?
Think this one must of had a vertical exhaust as there is a coupler on a short pipe from the exhaust . Thanks Everyone Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lister two.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	236923  
Old 10-17-2015, 05:03:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,812 Times in 974 Posts

Hello all.
For early Listers some people might suggest you come to Australia or New Zealand before that cold, damp place called Pommyland. It seems we didn't melt as many during the two big wars.
You people are very fortunate to have the Bruxton (sp?) flywheel versions. they are very sort after. I wished I had one. They were popular on generator sets.

I have a few different D's with my early one number 87826 spec 11D. I also have a D that everyone tells me is wrong....really wrong as it has a Solex carbi on it. I just nod and agree. It's a spec 16 if I remember.

In regards to the oil filler. I may have one. I do have an early block at the back of the shed and there may be a filler on it. I'll have a look next week. With the exchange rate, it might be worthwhile looking in Pommyland, New Zealand or Australia for parts.

Anyway, here are some pictures of Desmond my early D. I placed Desmond on the English site and asked what was out of place on him from when he left the factory. The only things that popped up was the water tap and governor spring. The rest is similar to how he would have left Lister. There were arguments as to what was original period or not but the end result was the two items mentioned.

Cheers Scott

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 10-26-2015, 09:46:52 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,812 Times in 974 Posts

Hello all.
I found one of the screw in oil fillers in the shed. It hasn't got a lid but the rest is there as it's still screwed to a crankcase.
Anyone interested?

Cheers Scott