Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

My Britstand 2 hp and Rosebery 2 hp.

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1718 times

Old 11-15-2015, 07:01:45 AM
Registered-I

Default My Britstand 2 hp and Rosebery 2 hp.

I've just taken some pics of the two engines I bought home on Friday but can't work out how to post pics, would there be any members I could email the pics to and put ' em up here for me please?

Maybe send email address via pm to ensure privacy......

One engine is plated as a Britstand 2 hp and has a Wico EK magneto and the other engine doesn't have any identifier but is essentially the same but with a rotary magneto.

Both look complete to me, both turn over, have compression but need oilers and one needs a grease cup on one crank bearing ( it's got a miss matching one atm)

Cheers,

Terry

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2015, 02:02:36 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,812 Times in 974 Posts
Default Re: My Britstand 2 hp and Rosebery 2 hp.

Hello All.
Here are some pictures of Terry's new second engines.
The first is the Britstand. the next reply is the 'homebrand' version.
All I can say is what a lucky fella to find these two virtually complete, early Buzacott built engines.
I'd be pleased as punch if they found their way into our shed.

If the greaser you've said is the mismatched one the big end greaser on this Britstand badged engine then I'd leave it. But that's me.

Cheers Scott

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 11-17-2015, 02:05:53 AM
Registered-III

And the 'homebrand' engine.

What a way to start a collection. Your one lucky fella Terry.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 11-17-2015, 05:53:06 AM
Registered-II

Gday very nice scores! They are great little engines and light! I was chasing one for about 15 years till one turned up at the right price. I notice one of the engines looks like it has a weld or braze repair to the flywheel rim where the governer pin goes through. Ide be a little cautious running this one, its probabably run for years like it, maybe someone on here can donate a good flywheel from a wreck?
Still great scores though
Cheers
Matt
Old 11-17-2015, 07:21:10 AM
Registered-I

Thanks Scott for posting the pics up for me, thanks also to mdavey and hornetb for offering help as well

I've emailed that last pic of the Britstand name plate to you Scott that got missed when I sent the other pics.

I originally was only after one engine but I got a good deal on both and had room in the trailer to fit both so here we are.......

I got them for just a little more than what the respective magnetos on each one would sell for so can't complain at all on the price.

Seller also threw in new copper 6 inch diameter pipe and end caps for both engines to make up new fuel tanks as both originals are missing though the Britstand still has the tank straps that I can use as templates for straps for the second engine.

I see what you mean Emu about that pic that shows what looks like a repair on the flywheel on the no name engine. I didn't notice it on the engine itself when unloading but I really didn't go over the engines that much as I had a busy weekend.

I'll have to have a closer captain cook at it on the weekend to see if its a repair or just some casting flash ??

I did notice one engine has a stuck inlet valve so probably best to remove the head and unseize it properly and decoke at the same time.

Any ideas as to where to get head gaskets for these engines ???

I might ?? have to pull both pistons out as well because the oiler shafts are blocked up by bloody mud wasp nests , though I'll try and clean the crap out first without pulling the pistons.

Might get enough room to clean it out with piston on TDC ??

I guess it would be best to undo the big end on both engines and crank bearing caps and give them a good clean as I'm sure dirt/dust has made it's way in there over all the years since they were last run.

I really don't want to try and run them as is without a clean up and lube up just because of all the dirt/dust that's probably got into everything whilst in storage.

And I'm guessing there might be some spark problems from the magnetos as well ??

Cheers,

Terry.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Forgot to ask before....

What brand of magneto is on the no name engine ?

Kinda looks the same/similar to the Lucas RS1 magneto on my Ronaldson Tippet type N 3 horse ??

Cheers,

Terry.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:47:01 AM
Registered-II

That maggy is an aussie made technico.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:49:52 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Helsing View Post
What brand of magneto is on the no name engine ?

Hello all.
It looks like a Tecnico to me Terry. Australian made.

Here's the name plate for the Britstand as well

Cheers Scott

The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 11-17-2015, 05:56:23 PM
Registered-II

Hi there ,
Roseberrys etc have a copper ring style gasket which you should be able to reuse if not vintage engine spares makes nice bronze repos
Sunshineman
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunshineman For This Post:
Old 11-18-2015, 02:08:32 AM
Registered-III

Very nice way to start a collection. Our Buzacott has the same style greaser as the one on the Britstand, all you do is undo the "t" handle a little bit and the spring pushes the grease through. Remember to fit a check valve on the fuel pick up line at the bottom of the fuel line. Your idea of checking the bearings and cleaning them first is a good one. The oiler we use is a simple 2" diameter oiler for the bore and are readily available. I think that you can clean the oiler tube out without removing the piston but I am not sure. One thing for sure try not to want to remove the tube as they get frozen in place and if it breaks are tricky to fix and replace. Maybe a piece of wire in your battery drill and give it a rev and then blow with compressed air.
Fantastic buys both of them.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:26:18 AM
Registered-I

Thanks sunshineman, I'll reuse the copper ring headgasket if it's still reuseable and check out a new bronze one if need be.

Thanks Cobba, one of the fixes I was thinking of was wire or Brazing rod or similar on a drill to clean out all the crap down the oiler tube and then running a gun bore cleaner down there as well. An air blower and kerosene or diesel along with the above process should get me a clean oiler tube.

I think I'll have to pull both pistons out as the engines look like they were stored with pistons ar TDC or thereabouts and the bores aren't overly clean ( more dirty than rusty) though that said, they both turn over very smonthly as is.

Might as well re-ring them while the pistons are out and give the bores a light hone.

Where do we find rings for these old clunkers.???

I've got to get fuel tanks made up for them, seller gave me 6 inch copper pipe and ends to make up some tanks but need the tank fill caps ( in brass or copper) and fuel line connections to carby/mixer.

Are these things available in new reproduction? or do I have to try and find original filler caps and line fittings?

Cheers,

Terry