Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Toys that are no longer 'fun' (according to the PC Police)

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 1996 times

Old 12-11-2018, 06:02:06 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,812 Times in 974 Posts
Default Toys that are no longer 'fun' (according to the PC Police)

Hello all
I know we make fun of New Zealand but I found something that New Zealand made which would have been fun.
I know it's PC bad to even mention these things now but bad luck. I know a lot of us had similar and had hours of fun with them. All with out killing someone or turning into a serial killer. So thanks New Zealand. Do you remember these Merv C?
To say I was surprised and happy when I found this was an understatement. When the bloke said he had the advertising card for it as well was a shock.
To say I swapped 2 garden chairs I found in a council clean up day, which also just happened to be sitting on top of the trailer, for them was just the icing on the cake. It saved me from pulling the chairs all apart to paint them.
On the advertising card you can see a grey sticker covering, what I assume to be, the old pre decimal price tag. So would it be safe to assume 1965-66 build date?

I didn't have one of these as a kid but I had a cast pig metal spud gun. It was good fun with orange peel or the hard soap out of mum's laundry. I might have to search for a spud gun now.

So what are your toys you really shouldn't admit to have or show?

Cheers Scott
PS: They must have been rich in new Zealand. They had a TV to watch it seems.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2018, 06:26:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,547 Posts
Default Re: Toys that are no longer 'fun' (according to the PC Police)

My Red rider carbine BB gun now today that is probably a no no i would make what is called a Sling Shot it would be a no no today i made my own bow and arrow and these were lethal i would hunt rabbits
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Onan Dan For This Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 08:05:57 PM
Subscriber

Since smoking is such a No-No, I guess a squirt cigarette would probably not be, pc.....
Or even stink loads ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1544572991849.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	324348   Click image for larger version

Name:	1544573057932.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	324349  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Big Bird For This Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 12:46:38 AM
Registered-I

Talking Re: Toys that are no longer 'fun' (according to the PC Police)

do what you want and the hell with everybody else, life is short, tuff crap for them...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ulgydog56 For This Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 02:11:09 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,051 Times in 312 Posts

Scott,
We didn't have a TV then and I have no recollection of that toy. but it sure looked like fun.
In my childhood we had cap guns and played Cowboys and Indians. Probably inspired by Hopalong Cassidy and The Lone Ranger etc films.

Merv
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Merv C For This Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 04:31:32 AM
Registered-II

Like Merv I have no recollection of that type of BB pellet. How do you know they are from New Zealand Scotty?
The Trev
Old 12-12-2018, 08:38:25 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,074 Times in 2,360 Posts

Lawn darts. We used to heave them over the house at each other.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 03:43:48 PM
Registered-II

I also did not have one of those pellet guns, but I did have plenty of lead soldiers and cowboys & indians, but a far as cap guns goes I loved hem. By the time I was a teenager I had a collection of ten early military rifles and bayonets as well as quite old pistols etc.
That collection grew very fast after I was earning a weekly wage. All gone now though but the original Daisy Air Rifle are a very valuable collector item today. Toy collectors would love to get hold of that Pellet gun today Scotty Cheers John
The Following User Says Thank You to john gilbert For This Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 05:08:22 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,288 Times in 4,063 Posts
Exclamation Re: Toys that are no longer 'fun' (according to the PC Police)

Lots of 'toys' I had when I was a kid, would be outlawed today. For instance - Buddy L rocket launcher. it would layunch a misile that looked like a 50 cal military round with fins. depending on which spring (indoor or outdoor) you put in it, the 'rocket would go about 5 feet or 10 feet, when 'launched. my grand pa thought that was wimpy, so he put his own spring in it. The 'missile' went 10 feet and THRU a 1/4" thick plate glass window, leaving a neat 3/4" hole in the glass. Another good one was a cap gun that shot plastic bullets You put the bullet in the cartridge and then placed a gren round stick on cap onto the load. fill up the 6 holes in the cylinder and have at it. sounded like a 45 and the muzzle flash was pretty realistic too. great fun until I set moms curtains on fire with the muzzle blast (I had doubled up on the caps)! No cat was safe, while we were 'hunting'. Last but not least - the Gilbert science kit. All kinds of neat chemicals, and instructions on how to kame things blow up! Nitric acid and glycerine ("keep cool and do not shake the test tube"). Picric acid. not too bad in liquid form, but unstable as hell when it dried out. Charcoal, sulfur and bat dung. BOOM! AHHH, those were the days!

The ad at the beginning of this thread reminds me of my son's "Air Soft" gun. Re-usable plastic pellets that HURT if you got hit. Within 20 feet, the pellets would penetrate skin!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 05:27:21 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,812 Times in 974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor A Cole View Post
Like Merv I have no recollection of that type of BB pellet. How do you know they are from New Zealand Scotty?
The Trev
Hello Trev.
The Made in New Zealand with the Kiwi under the trigger is a give-a-way. A bit hard to see in the picture.

We also didn't have TV in the 60's. I rang mum up. she said it was about 1972 before we had a telly. We didn't go to the movies very much either. I remember going to "Jungle Book" in Murwillumbah and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" in Lismore and that was about it until well into High School. Oh, "Jaws" at the Alstonville drive in.
We didn't do much of the cowboys and indians thing. We explored a lot in building sites, rubbish piles and dumps. We made billycarts, shangais and other great stuff from what we could find. I don't know how many Qualcast mowers we parted out for the wheels. Qualcast wheels on a gravel road did not lend themselves to a smooth ride I can tell you.

We got our edumication from comics. Phantom, Archie and Superman were in our toys box. We got them secondhand from the army disposal in Keen St Lismore for 5c each. A returned Coke bottle was 10c.
Our toy box (3 boys) was a big cardboard Corn Flakes box. The one the individual packets came in. Mum didn't have problems with toys laying about. We didn't have many to lay about.

Cheers Scott

---------- Post added at 07:27:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by john gilbert View Post
Toy collectors would love to get hold of that Pellet gun today Scotty Cheers John
There were actually 2 guns there John. When I go back through I'll see if the other is still there. I know a bloke and his bride who would might like them. Sadly I had nothing else to swap or much cash when I found these. They were one of those finds you find when your least expecting a find. I was so glad they wanted a couple garden chairs I found in a council clean up to get what I got.

Sad thing is we have to build a pool room 'cause this find is straight to the pool room.

Cheers Scott
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post: