Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

MEP005 sucked paper towel into intake

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 5831 times

Old 05-23-2011, 11:20:19 AM
Registered-I

Question MEP005 sucked paper towel into intake

hello smokstak, first time on your site, I have (3) mep005 gensets and intended on getting them all running, first two went real well and are usable now last one was ready to start and I forgot to remove the (2) blue shop towels that were in the intake, well she starts right up purrs for a second then knocks so I shut down and instantly realized my mistake I was able to fish one complete towel out the #3 cyl, but the other is jamed in the head of #1 cyl Ive been able to pick small pieces with an peice of wire but still have a fair amount stuck, I was thinking of using my propane torch to burn what I can and then run the engine to see if the rest will work out I dont think at this point that there has been any damage to the engine, and if I need to I will pull the head but of course I would rather not. any input would be appreciated, Byron
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2011, 11:51:22 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,154 Times in 914 Posts
Default Re: mepoo5 sucked paper towel into intake

I just wanted to let you know your not the only one that has done such things. A couple of years ago I was trying to start 30KW Kohler diesel generator that I had bought off GL using a gasoline soaked red shop rag stuffed into the air filter, it suddenly came to life sucked the rag into the engine and with a big cough spit out out the exhaust manifold (no muffler at the time), it then rained bits of glowing charred rag for a few seconds. I can still picture the red glow of the fabric pattern as the rag shaped ash rained down.

Ike
The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac-1 For This Post:
Old 05-23-2011, 12:25:21 PM
Subscriber

Once foolishly I had unscrewed the airfilter from a running diesel engine and the foam rubber seal from the end of the element and a plastic foam prefilter was whipped into the intake before I could react and grab them, the engine clanked, smoked and stuttered for a few seconds while I was groping to cut the fuel, then it cleared and ran normally spitting blackened pieces of those items out of the exhaust before it could be shut down, afterwards, checks revealed no apparent damage was done to the engine. As you managed to shut your engine off before the the towels were able to pass through the engine I would say that you have to do whatever you need to do to remove the remaining towel from the port, if you really don't want to strip the top end I can't see any harm in trying to burn it out providing you don't end up burning down your workshop in the process! I'd wind the exhaust valve open a little with the rocker ajuster then pour a little gas down the port then light the gas, then blow some air down the port and hope that the towel soaked up some of the gas and burns away to a fine harmless ash in the airstream, the smoke should escape from the combustion through the exhaust valve. Thats what I would do, but then again I am completely mad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roland Hayes For This Post:
Old 05-23-2011, 12:27:03 PM
Registered-II

OK, I'm still laughing at Issac's reply... I can so visualize that scene!

I'd think that any way (including burning) would work as long as it doesn't contain any synthetic fibers (and I'm sure it won't) Maybe take a piece and see how cleanly it burns?
The Following User Says Thank You to nehog For This Post:
Old 05-23-2011, 04:37:34 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,284 Times in 4,059 Posts
Exclamation Re: MEP005 sucked paper towel into intake

Quite a few years ago. The Hudson Valley club had a similar experiance with their 50 HP Ingersoll-Rand single cylinder diesel. The usual practice was to belt up the engine to a Farmall tractor PTO, and turn the engine over. After a few revolutions, the compression release was let go. and the engine would start. Well. one cool humid day, the engine refused to start after 3 tries. It was decided that the intake air needed to be warmed up. A shop rag was soaked in gas, placed on the intake screen, and lir up. The engine was then cranked in the msual nanner. The engine kicked back on the first compression strike, nearly pulling the poor farmall thru rhe wall in the process. The poor driver left with a peculiar stain on the seat of his pants! A few minutes later, the procedure was again attempted, this time with more gas on the rag (dripping wet) This time, the engine gave a big snort, kicked backwards, and blew the filter off the intake. The tracter kept the engine turning though, and on the next intake, the flaming rag went into the intake! The engine left off a huge afterfire thru the exhaust, and then began to pick up speed. After about 30 seconds, and a few white puffs of smoke, the engine began to run normally, with smouldering pieces of rag coming out the exhaust pipe at every exhaust stroke for a few minutes. I do not believe they use the rag trick any more!
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 05-23-2011, 04:56:21 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,897 Times in 2,967 Posts
Default Re: MEP005 sucked paper towel into intake

Those stories are funny!

Only thing is that Diesels have a very small head-space (the space left in the combustion chamber when the piston is at top-dead-center) and it's easy for a foreign object to cause the engine to lock or bend a rod or valve, break a piston, etc.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 03:17:53 PM
Registered-II

All I can say is if you ever have a 2 stroke detroit run away on you use a clip board or hard cover book to put on the intake. Don't use a soft cover book.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:05:00 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer12 View Post
All I can say is if you ever have a 2 stroke detroit run away on you use a clip board or hard cover book to put on the intake. Don't use a soft cover book.
This advice applies to all diesel engines, not just the 2-stroke ones. A failed turbo charger allowing engine oil into the intake is a common reason for diesel engine run away, and a board, piece of plywood, or any *solid* flat object over the intake can help stop it.