Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Case Crusher question

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 930 times

Old 07-27-2017, 10:00:20 AM
Subscriber

Default Case Crusher question

I'm working on a Case crusher made by the Denver Fire Clay Company. It was seized and upon tear down I found part of a broken bolt in the mechanism that pushes the heavy anvil that rests in a pocket in the bottom of the crusher. There is nothing that keeps the anvil in place except it's own weight pushing downward. I removed the broken bolt and you can see in the pictures where it was. Is there something else that bolted there that held the movable anvil in place? Also, what exactly is a case crusher? I thought it was for crushing red bricks but they are to big to fit in the mouth. It works now but the anvil will come up out of the pocket if you pry it up, so I suspect that something should hold it down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0950.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	287256   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0949.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	287257   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0948.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	287258  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2017, 10:22:06 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Case Crusher question

Hi Tom,
I think We must have the only ones left!. Here is a link to an old thread with a couple photos of my crusher, I think yours might newer or bigger(mine doesn't have the part no.s on the toggle links).
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73506
I think the jaw was supposed to lift for cleaning as that was part of the patent. is the hole on the toggle where the bolt was?. Can you tell me what the opening size is on yours?.
Nathan.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:45:10 AM
Subscriber

Rock crushers take small bites when they are operating. I think yours will slowly eat away at the brick and allow smaller pieces to fall in.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:05:38 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBall View Post
I'm working on a Case crusher made by the Denver Fire Clay Company. What exactly is a case crusher? I thought it was for crushing red bricks but they are to big to fit in the mouth.
The small crushers were used primarily for assay, laboratory, and specialty work where only a small quantity of ore, mineral, or rock needed to be processed. Modern equivalents are still manufactured and sold for the same purposes.

Kirk
Old 07-30-2017, 06:22:52 PM
Subscriber

Nathan, the jaw size is 3x2 3/4 inches. The toggle link that moves the anvil has the hole in it. I don't have a clue what attached to the link, but I surmised it had something to do with holding the anvil down into the pivot socket. It makes sense as to removing the anvil for cleaning, but I would think it would be held in place until then. I put a small hard rock in it while turning the crank and it shot out and careened off my glasses. They didn't break but it surprised the crap out of me. As I said before, a brick would not even fit the jaw opening so I knew it wasn't designed for that purpose. I'm glad for the responses so far.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:21:41 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,353 Times in 3,474 Posts
Exclamation Re: Case Crusher question

Spit back often occurs with rounded rocks! Most ore put in crushers do not have smooth surfaces, so the anvil and hammer have something to grip. ALWAYS use safety glasses or a face shield when using a crusher. When operating, they always spit out a bit of dust and small shards! You only get one set of eyes - protect them!
Old 08-03-2017, 10:09:33 PM
Subscriber

Hi Tom,
My crusher is the same size(I have 1/4" of shims in it to make smaller product) but doesn't seem to have the part numbers so I think it's older. When I was looking at there patents - old ads ect. they did not seem to make this style for long before they changed to a stronger frame/overhead eccentric and then the direct link type that is fairly common. I also wondered what the hole in the toggle was for, best I could think of was a tube to oil the connecting rod(which way was the oil hole on your con. rod?). The jaws on mine are rough(there must have been some hard stuff go in at one time!) and using the crushed/ bagged landscape limestone ~1" minus is very easy on it also with next too no spitting.
Nathan.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:38:27 PM
Subscriber

Nathan, my connecting rod didn't have an oil hole from what I remember. The lower crank end had an L shaped deflector on each side to help keep debris off the crank pin. The mains have oil holes but I don't remember any others.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:40:37 PM
Subscriber

Hi Tom,
Mine has a vertical hole on the side of the lower bearing hole that was turned toward the jaw end of the crusher which is why i wondered if there should have been a tube in the hole in the toggle to oil it?(I turned it to the outside to get at it better). I don't think it has any shields for dirt, Would you be interested in swapping some photos if I send you my email?.
Nathan.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:04:23 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
Spit back often occurs with rounded rocks! Most ore put in crushers do not have smooth surfaces, so the anvil and hammer have something to grip. ALWAYS use safety glasses or a face shield when using a crusher. When operating, they always spit out a bit of dust and small shards! You only get one set of eyes - protect them!
My livelihood is crushing rock and glad to see somebody else besides me warn people about this. First job out of school they had 10-32 Pioneer jaw and it had a very thick steel plate over top of the jaws probably 2" thick and it was bent from rocks hitting it. Years ago at a show a fellow was playing with one just a bit larger than this one tossing round rocks into it. Just as I was telling him he should not be doing that where people can get hurt (and he was telling me I was full of animal exhaust) the crusher shot a fist sized rock about 50 foot in the air and landed in a group of people miraculously missing all of them. The show shut him down, thankfully. Smooth dies or not they all do it now and then when fed hard round rock due to what is called the nip angle. When worn out, like most seen at a show, the problem is worsened.

They are reasonably safe when crushing bricks, limestone, shale etc but personally I would not run one at a show without a heavy plate over top of the jaws. I am not a safety nark but in 42 years of crushing rock I have seen a bit and learned a little.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:27:22 PM
Subscriber

Nathan, what pictures do you want to see. I don't have any of it dismantled although it could be taken apart again I suppose.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:28:06 PM
Subscriber

Hi Tom,
I was looking for some general shots around it and some dimensions of the flywheel as that is the one think missing from mine.
I will send you an email, thanks.
Nathan.