Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Witte Voltage Regulator

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2407 times

Old 07-10-2006, 01:36:06 AM
Registered-II

Default Witte Voltage Regulator

I'm looking for advice on upgrading my original Witte BDRBA mechanical regulator to an electronic regulator. Is this a big operation and is it possible to get an electronic unit that will function better than the original mecanical one I have now? This one surges all of the time when I put on the washing machine or air compressor. I have to go out and turn off the generator just enough that the rpm's slow down enough then it fixes itself for a few seconds. Hopefully the electronic one can fix this problem. I guess the points mechanism can't keep up with this kind of load that it has to undergo. Any advice and sources for a new regulator would be appreciated. The generator puts out @7.5 KVA at 920 RPM's. I have to turn up the RPM's to keep the voltage up to 115 VAC and it's running way faster than 900 right now.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2006, 03:22:47 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,166 Times in 757 Posts
Default Re: Witte Voltage Regulator

Before embarking on what might be an expensive replacement, it's worth looking to see if what you have already is suitable for the job you are asking it to do, and also if it is in good mechanical condition.

Most generator engines have pretty good governors for most applications, it is unusual to hear of one that doesn't do the job unless there is either a fault or there is overloading.

If the basic engine/generator is not up to what you are asking of it, then an electronic replacement won't help much, although it may improve things in the short term.

Remember that inductive loads have a low power factor which 'looks and acts' like a bigger load than it it seems. Banging a big or even a medium size induction motor onto a generator will cause a dip until the regulator gets hold of the load.

I would first of all check all the governor linkages and the fuul pump for free movement, and the see exactly what load the machine will carry without dipping revs too much. Having done that, you can work out where you want to be with the operating range, bearing in mind that if you are at half power already with other loads, then the washing machine and compressor may well tip the engine over into uncontrolled oscillation as it goes from full throttle and back as it tries to govern properly.

Also check that fuel filters etc are clean and the fuel is OK as far as age and quality goes.

7.5kVA sounds slightly marginal for the sort of stuff you are throwing at it, although you haven't stated what other loads you are working with it.

HTH

Peter
Old 07-11-2006, 03:50:55 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Witte Voltage Regulator

Good advice Peter. I guess I should mention that I'm running the generator off of straight canola oil and it slows down a bit once I switch the fuel over to it. I also run a biodiesel processor element @1800 watts plus a circulating pump at the same time for a few hous at a time. When I'm not powering up my workshop I pump the power to two small houses that charge up the batteries for the inverters. Each charger draws @14 amps and we seldom use any electricla appliances since the rest of the house ( water, pumps, stove, fridge are 12 volt or propane. it's just the air compressor and big loads like that which cause grief on the Witte. I try to keep the revs up to maintain 115 vac but I think I'm pushing the motor a little too much at times. I'll make sure that I'm up to speed and voltage tomorrow and really put it throught he test to see exactally what it takes to make her bog down and surge the regulator. I'll get back to you.