Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

15hp Reid

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1962 times

Old 07-09-2004, 02:14:17 PM
AFretired

Default 15hp Reid

I've been working on my engine the last few weeks. I have finally got everything apart without breaking anything. As I stated in an earlier post, the pistons were stuck as bad as they could be. My problem now is the extreme pitting in the cylinders. I'm sure others have been down this same road. Last night I put it back together and put some pipe fittings in the hot tube hole and hooked my air compressor to it. When I pumped in the air I had a lot of blow by. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is having the cylinders sleeved, and I don't have a clue where to get something like that done, or if it would be financially feasible. David
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2004, 10:37:06 PM
Patrick McNallen

Default Re: 15hp Reid

I have a 15 HP Reid that has rust pitting at the crank end of the bore. It looks pretty bad, and it extends a good way into the bore toward the head end of the bore. It looks like the engine sat for years with leaves and dirt or rat's nests in the cylinder. The engine runs fine though, and has good compression. The more I run it, the better the rings seem to hold. If your rings look OK, I would assemble the engine and try it out for a while. It may have to run for several hours for the rings to re-seat. There is a lot of good information on fitting piston rings in the archives of this website and on some of this site's sponsor's web pages.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:05:16 PM
AFretired

Default Re: 15hp Reid

Patrick It's nice to hear that your's runs good. It gives me some hope. I've not given up at this time. The main piston will probably be alright after it runs a little and the rings reseat. The rings look good and square, so hopefully they will work. I guess I need to get ready to belt it up to something. I don't think my back will stand trying to get it started.