Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Reid hot tube gas pressure

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2696 times

Old 01-26-2009, 07:59:27 AM
Registered-II

Default Reid hot tube gas pressure

I have a 20 hp Reid with a 10 lb fixed gas regulator on the hot tube. When I adjust it to get a good soft flame the tube will seem to get too hot.I was wondering if an adjustable regulator would let me reduce the pressure some and give more control over the flame.I don't remember the orifice size but I got it from John Burns and I think it is ok. I would like to know what other guys are using. Thanks,Chip Watford
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2009, 11:10:50 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Reid hot tube gas pressure

2 to 4 OZ's of psi is enough. With 10lbs of psi I could see why it gets hot.
And if you dont have a needle valve there to increase\decrease the gas I'd put one on there. On my hot tubes, once the engine starts I turn the gas nearly off, just enough to keep the flame going. I use Oz regulators for charcoal grills.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:30:06 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,375 Times in 1,571 Posts
Photo Re: Reid hot tube gas pressure

Chip, I have a adjustable regulator on the tank and run 13 to 15 LBS of pressure. I run about 5 ozs. on the mixer. Heres a short movie of it.

Are you coming to Portland swap?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Van Hook For This Post:
Old 01-26-2009, 08:32:39 PM
Registered-II

Thanks Fred,I may try an adjustable regulator and see what effect it has.Doug,I run a low pressure regulator to the mixer but the hot tube requires much more pressure.I've seen them with anything from 2-20lbs. Chip
Old 01-26-2009, 11:16:22 PM
Registered-III

Maybe I'm confused? But why would you need 2-20lbs of psi to the hot tube? I run mine all day on 2 or 3 oz, and still use a needle valve installed at the orifice to turn it down.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:48:22 AM
Registered-II

Well,don't be confused Doug.Thats the reason I'm asking.I actually use two tanks.One with a low pressure gas grill regulator to the mixer and a small 25lb tank to the hot tube with the 10lb regulator.I've seen some engines run with one tank with a tee before the regulator going to the hot tube and low pressure to the mixer.I will try and run the hot tube through the low pressure regulator and see how it does,as you suggested.I just thought that the tube took a higher pressure.I've got a needle valve at the burner. Thanks,Chip
Old 01-28-2009, 12:59:54 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,131 Times in 3,979 Posts
Exclamation Re: Reid hot tube gas pressure

To run our Oil City/South Penn engine, we use 2 cylinders of gas. 1 is a 50 pound cylinder with the regulater set at 11" Water Column, which in turn feeds a 4"x30" accumulater, for engine cylinder use. The hot tube is a regular 20 pound gas grill tank and a grill regulater, which I think is set at 4 or 5 PSI. We are using a John Burns hot tube, and chimney made for this engine, The actual tube is approximately 5" in length. 10 PSI seems excessive for heating the tube. Even at the 4 or 5 we use, we throttle the gas way down after the engine starts - keeping the flame just high enough to keep the tube at a bright red/dull orange heat, about 1/2 way up the tube. To make the entire tube a bright orange/dull yellow heat is both a waste of gas, and possibly dangeroue, as it will lead to premature tube failure. Our burner assembly came with a throttling valve so heat could be adjusted. With our set up. both tanks will run out of gas about 4 - 10 hour days of use.
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 01-28-2009, 07:47:50 AM
Registered-II

Thanks for the reply Andrew.I've got an accumulator tank and have no problem on the mixer side as far as running.With my regulator,there seems to be a fine line between getting the tube too hot and not hot enough.I have a good needle valve but my pressure may be a bit excessive.I will experiment further!Thanks for the help,Chip
Old 01-28-2009, 11:38:05 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,249 Times in 321 Posts

On our South Penn/Oil City half breed and our 15 HP Reid we use two tanks. For the engine side of things we use a gas grill regulator feeding an accumulator tank. For the hot tube we use a 20lb propane tank with NO regulator. Just a needle valve to control the amount of gas. We are using John Burnes Burner and have no problem regulating the flame size. When we originally set the engine up we were using a gas grill regulator and had trouble getting the hot tube hot enough. John recommended removing the regulator and running it straight from the LP tank. Have had no problems since.
Keith
www.herculesengines.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Kinney For This Post: