Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Another try for answer on 15HP Reid engine

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2185 times

Old 06-29-2009, 02:51:56 PM
Email NOT Working

Default Another try for answer on 15HP Reid engine

Help !

The one question I am still looking for an answer to is :

Will someone who has a 15 HP REID that has sparkplug/preasure release hole on the top side of the cylinder casting,help me by going out to their engine, remover the spark plug and tell me what they find. ie how deep do the treads go? what size is the hole past the treads to the inside of the air/fuel passage in the area of the fuel transfer valve? Is the hole the same size all the way past the sparkplug threads or is there a step to size the hole down?
I am asking for these dimensions as right now my apparent hole starts out in what appears to be a broken off plug. There is what appears to be the beginning of threads showing around this broken off plug. Looking up from the bottom through the transfer valve hole there appears to be a circle that could be a plug. If it is a plug I have no idea what holds it in place, which could be important to know. This apparent plug is about 9/16"
to 5/8" in diameter.

Your help will be greatly appreciated
Bob Alone out west on the high desert
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Johnson For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2009, 06:11:59 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Another try for answer on 15HP Reid engine

Hi Bob, My 15hp Reid has the same busted off plug. I know that the hole is very deep. At least 2". It is 1/2 tapered pipe thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich Hudak For This Post:
Old 06-29-2009, 08:37:10 PM
Sponsor

My plug was busted off at the top to, I drilled down a good two inches in the plug itself, and then I taped it for half inch corse strait thread to install a bolt for a new plug. I did not want to chance breaking the case by trying to heat the old plug and remove it. I now have a valve installed to make for faster bleeding. Phil

Last edited by OldironPhil; 06-29-2009 at 08:48:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldironPhil For This Post:
Old 06-29-2009, 08:58:57 PM
Sponsor

The hole between the charging and main cylinder is for a long pin to limit the travel of the transfer valve. The hol is drilled for 1/2 NPT threads. The hole is the same all the way down. It is threaded 1/2" NPT about 1" down the hole. A lot of people us this hole for a spark plug, when a mag. is used.Some also use a relief valve to clear cylinder when engine is flooded.
Tom in VA.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Weatherford For This Post:
Old 06-29-2009, 11:06:28 PM
Registered-II

Tom, what? I never heard of that. A pin to limit the valve moment? The manual does not talk about that at all--at least not where I have read. It shows it used for the release valve. I assumed the hole is where it is in order to facilitate machining the valve opening, but that was a guess. Can you explain the pin idea a little bit? This is interesting. Why would you want to limit the valve movement? How would you keep the rod from over heating? Why, what, why....huh?

I don't mean to igore your question, Bob, but Tom has me curious. Also, my spark plug is in that hole, and the wire gets so hot the rubber insulation gets brittle. Any time I remove it, it is necessary to replace the wire. I'd pull it and measure it if it weren't for that. There are enough 15's out there, I hope you can get all the information you need from somebody. (My recollection, though, is that it's about 5" deep and a 1/2" pipe thread at the opening.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Joel Sanderson For This Post:
Old 06-30-2009, 09:23:25 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,073 Times in 651 Posts

My 30 had the same plug that Tom speaks of. I can not remember what the thread was but it was not standard pipe thread. Had to have a bushing made to use my spark plug.
The Following User Says Thank You to JHFoster For This Post:
Old 06-30-2009, 08:52:04 PM
Registered-II

Bob, I took the spark plug wire off and unscrewed the fittings. (The spark plug wire was fine this time.) The hole in my 15 is 3 7/8" deep and has a 1/2" pipe thread. There is not a step in my hole size--the hole is what would be necessary for a 1/2" pipe tap.

Where are you Tom? You're not gonna leave it at that are you?
The Following User Says Thank You to Joel Sanderson For This Post:
Old 06-30-2009, 10:35:37 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Weatherford View Post
The hole between the charging and main cylinder is for a long pin to limit the travel of the transfer valve. The hole is drilled for 1/2 NPT threads.
Tom in VA.
The 1924 Frick and Lindsay catalog shows part number 147, "Indicator Hole Plug". It doesn't show the plug itself but merely points to it on the cylinder. Also, it is listed for the 25, 30, and 40 hp sizes only. That being said, my 15 hp had the long plug as Tom describes. It was 1/2" pipe thread and extended down into the valve chamber. The valve definitely contacted the plug from time to time since the top of the valve and the bottom of the plug were worn.

Kirk
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Taylor For This Post:
Old 07-01-2009, 01:37:31 AM
Email NOT Working

Hi Kirk,
Thank you for the information about the "PLUG". From your information and some from Tom and Joel I am getting a better idea of what is in the hole. Seems like a bunch of the plugs are broken off in other peoples engines. I kind of wonder why? Right now I am assuming that the plug was pipe thread for about an inch and then just a rod extending down the same size as the proper sized hole for the pipe thread.I am assuming that this is a one piece plug.I plan to start drilling real soon and I will keep you informed of my progress. If by chance I ruin my cylinder I have located another one but it is a long way away so I am hoping for some good luck.
Thanks all
Bob
Old 07-01-2009, 08:04:58 AM
Registered-II

Bob,

Like many, mine was broken off on top. I drilled ~7/16" diameter hole ~2'' deep in the center of the plug, then drilled the top 1" out almost to the threads. This relieved the plug enough to drive it out the bottom with a big pin punch. The remaining threaded part at the top was split with a hacksaw blade and bumped out with a cape chisel. No damage to the threads or the cylinder. The threaded part is 1/2" pipe same as any other 1/2" pipe-threaded hole.

Kirk
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Taylor For This Post: