Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

Homebuilt Swapmeet scooters ?

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 10711 times

Old 09-06-2005, 06:56:52 AM
Registered

Question Homebuilt Swapmeet scooters ?

I would like to built a three-wheeled scooter to get around and haul stuff at swapmeets. I was just a Midwest Old Threshers in Mt Pleasant Iowa . I saw a couple of neat homebuilts. Just something to ride around and put my "treasures" in . Does anyone have any pics of what they have built or pics of what they have found ? I know there is other guys out there like me that would like to see also.
I would prefer a gasoline powered one but would also consider an electric.
Thanks,
Raz
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2005, 01:47:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,970 Times in 1,533 Posts
Default Re: Homebuilt Swapmeet scooters ?

Look for an old engine powered self propelled reel type mower - Don't go cuttin' up a classic, there are plenty of old junkers out there. Remove all of the blade components and you have a drive unit that you can then attach a bicycle frame to. Remove the rear bike wheel and spread the frame to the width of the mower top (engine mounting) plate. Weld & brace as needed. The mower will have some sort of clutch - probably an idler pulley that will tighten and loosen with a rod or lever. You'll need to rig up linkage for this clutch and a throttle. Brakes might be a good idea too. Won't be fast, but should motorvate you at a good walking pace.
Be careful,

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 09-08-2005, 10:14:10 AM
Registered-III

Raz, here is some pics of mine, built in 1996.

My intent was to have a seat due to age, and move at a slow walk for look'in, and three bolts to separate front wheel assembly for hauling in GEO Tracker.

The motor is 1976 3hp aluminum B&S from a tiller, including idler/belt tightener. The rear axle with spider gear differential from a flea market (probably a small riding mower). I staggered home from a industrial supply house with the #40 chain and sprockets.

The speed range from idle to moderate throttle is very slow stroll to fast walk. motor to axle ratio is 1 to 30. Yours may vary due to motor speed/wheel diameter.

I was pleasantly surprised at its pulling power. Easily handles trailer with chair and adult or engine. At Portland, it pulled three trailers from the field to campground carrying Tony Leonard, his dad Bud, and a 3 hp m.

I hope this info will be helpful in your design and that you enjoy yours as I have mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img1276.JPG
Views:	628
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	3698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img1279.JPG
Views:	750
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	3699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img1278.JPG
Views:	578
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	3700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img1277.JPG
Views:	527
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	3701  

Old 12-29-2005, 05:11:07 PM
Subscriber

I went a little diferent route. Poke around the next show and buy a one wheel cultavator. They tend to have a little 1.5 hp Brigs on them. The good one has a nice clutch Mine just has a belt tensioner. Then find a two wheel sulky (or weld one togeather) and make a hitch. It is important that the hitch allows the cultavator to turn but not to tip. I used a short section of pipe on the cultavator and a Pipe T on the sulky of the next size larger so it drops over the pipe.
It is light weight and small

Frankhttp://www.smokstak.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5828&stc=1
3 wheel2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 wheel2.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	5828  
Old 01-26-2006, 08:38:43 PM
Registered-I

If you look around enough you can find a Scooter three wheel vehicle like an APE made by Piaggio (Vespa). Pronounced "Ah Pay". In fact there is one in Georgia on eBay right now for $1,500 but I would pass on it for that much money. And I picked up one made by an India based company, Bajaj, for $800 in better condition. I did pay $1200 for one that was in very good condition. These are simple 150cc, 2 stroke, four speed, with a cab and lights and everything. Very easy to rebuild the motors and have four manual forward speed and reverse! They look sort of like a Cushman or some such three wheel utility vehicle. Drive like a scooter with a shift on the left grip and take simple scooter tires and such. I have two of these I am redoing for my work. Interesting looking and can come with beds, boxes or even Rickshaw rears on them. Or you can make your own.

Bajaj imports a 4 stroke street legal one even today. But its mighty overpriced. I think 6 grand. No one imports a Diesel one at this moment. But they are prevalent over in the East. I have one of these coming over for a Biodiesel project that is being brought in Gray Market. Off road only and demonstraton machine.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:52:43 PM
Subscriber

With 800 viewings of this topic, I'm really surmised there aren't more postings of our homemade buggies. I've been collecting parts and pieces for a number of years and now its time to build one. I started with an old Wards weed mower with a Clinton 2 hp engine from the 50s for my power plant. I'm building a riding cart and will be fabricating a swiveling hitch for it over the next couple of weeks. To see the current stage of development, go to : http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...298&a=32086764

I'll post more pictures of my progress as it comes together. Greg
Old 02-17-2006, 05:54:56 PM
Registered-II

Default junk yard wars

Hello greg i alway thought about doing the same thing. butt its one of my one hundred options. maybe we should get to geather and go on tv on that show junkyard wars. I know i would be a happy camper. you dont even need a welder, if you drill and bolt every thing together. i got alot of them walk behinds. butt they did make them so you could put a two wheel seater behind them. iam just waiting for someone to post one. hey good luck with the homemade four wheeler. cant wait to see it Dan
Old 02-17-2006, 07:07:51 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,100 Times in 3,966 Posts

I re-engined an old ford garden tractor with a QBA 8-13 HP Fairmont railcar engine! I used the factory clutch and gearing, and mounted an 8" V belt pully on the engine. The machine went fastest when I put it in reverse, and reversed the Fairmont ! I made the exhaust pipe out of 2" type L plumbing copper pipe, and put a 2" x 1" bull headed Tee on the end, with 2 - 1" street 90 degree ells, on the running ends. 2 Volkswagon flare tips, clamped in the street ells quieted the exhaust somewhat, I didn't have to blow a horn to get people out of the way. They gave it a wide berth!
Andrew
Old 02-17-2006, 08:26:33 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,412 Times in 480 Posts

right now im working on a "tractor" for the up coming show season. the rear wheels and gearbox/ diff. are from a david-bradley style garden tractor, im guessing from the 20's. it is steel-wheeles with 3" spikes! i wish i knew exactly what kind it was. i used the existing bracket for whatever engine originally came on it, and just bolted some angle iron on, and it just so happened that they are the perfect width for my cushman binder motor. i will have to make a pulley for the cushman, because they dont aline perfectly, but i will be able to use the original driven pulley and tensioner. i have made good progress for working on it only a few hours. yesterday i cut the handles down to use them as brackets for the platform, which i will hopefully get done tomorrow. i also have another "tractor" of basically the same style that im robbing the controls off of. i'll see if i can get craig to post a pic and maybe some of you fine folks can tell me what i have.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:15:28 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by HilltopCycle/ATV
I would like to built a three-wheeled scooter to get around and haul stuff at swapmeets. I was just a Midwest Old Threshers in Mt Pleasant Iowa . I saw a couple of neat homebuilts. Just something to ride around and put my "treasures" in . Does anyone have any pics of what they have built or pics of what they have found ? I know there is other guys out there like me that would like to see also.
I would prefer a gasoline powered one but would also consider an electric.
Thanks,
Raz
you might want to a 4 wheel scooter a lot of the shows dont allow 2-3 wheeled veales any more