Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Chevrolet R-20 barn door suburban - front end

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 2726 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2017, 02:27:06 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,726 Times in 4,272 Posts
Question Chevrolet R-20 barn door suburban - front end

I have replaced all the control arms in my R-20. It is a Silverado version 3/4 ton 'bus'. 2 WD with the 454 and towing package. They were from Moog, and sold thru NAPA. I bought them because they were US built, not Chinese crap. Cost about 75% more. Now for the problem: Upper control arm bushings on both sides have backed out of the arms! The left side has now come apart 3 times, the right twice. The rear bushings seem to be the ones backing off. Moog has replaced the arms but won't cover labor. At 150 a clip, it is getting ridiculous, as for replacement cost! Anyone got any ideas? I cannot align, as I was told the arms have to break in for about 250 miles so they can be set. CANT even get that before the darn bushings back off! The back off has now wiped out the front tires as well HELP! When the bushings back off, a loud 'CLUNK' is heard and felt thru the chassis, and steering wheel spoke location changes (movement is causing steering changes). Has anyone else run into this? The truck is a rust bucket, but the frame, engine, and running gear are in excellent shape except for this damn control arm issue.

These are NEW control arms, with NEW bushings, mounts and ball joints already installed. The bushings are metal, not the push in rubber ones used on the 10 series. They are heavy duty, and look like the ones that were removed. They are supposed to be in 'bolt on' condition. The original GM units wee worn out, as were the ball joints, thus the complete replacements. NO suspension mods, bone stock suspension. All new steering componants, new box, pump, relay rod, pitman arm, tie rod ends, you name it, it was replaced. The tires were balanced, and new brakes recently done. Rims checked for true (none bent). No vibration while driving either. truck rides well except for the darn control arm issue.