Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > Other Vintage and Antique Collectibles > Antiques for the Home > Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors Weeden, Empire, Doll, Jensen, Wilesco, Mamod, Marklin

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors

Need Help Identifying This Model Steam Engine

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 430 times

Old 06-18-2019, 11:13:04 PM
Registered

Default Need Help Identifying This Model Steam Engine

Hello to all-
I just picked up this little rig today. Ive been looking for a steamer to play with and this was available near me. I have looked for a name or numbers and have found nothing. Chinese knock-off? Or possibly a home built? Quality appears to be decent- brass bearings on rod and crank mains.
Turns very smooth, boiler heated quickly, reservoir tank holds water, and crank driven pump works. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_160844.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	337421   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_160653.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	337422   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_201611.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	337423  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joemaintenance For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2019, 08:52:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,404 Times in 690 Posts
Default Re: Need help identifying this model steam engine

It appears to be NOT a toy but a very nice vintage scale steam engine probably made by a Machinist. It is paired up with a nice older center flue Marine type boiler. A really nice outfit and probably run beautifully after you get the bugs worked out.

You will probably need to test the boiler first. Search Keith Appleton on YouTube and he covers boiler testing in detail. Simple to do but better be safe than sorry.

Nice piece and very well made. The Boiler could be a Steven's Dock Yard or similar. I haven't seen this particular engine before but appears to be a well built example by a "Proper" Model Engineer.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:26:25 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Need help identifying this model steam engine

The engine is quite possibly by Wilhelm Bischoff of Dresden. It has many of the standard features found on Bischoff engines such as the cylinder lubricator mounted half way on the cylinder. Also the crank bearing standards and brown color pretty much match my Bischoff.

Jim in Minnesota
The Following User Says Thank You to QuickJ For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 09:36:35 PM
Registered

Default Re: Need Help Identifying This Model Steam Engine

Hi, thanks for the information guys! I have hooked up some compressed air . With a cpl psi this ebgine sounds good after i set the timing. Ive got to replumb the supply lines. So now im trting 2 locate fittings here in the states. In my opinion, I feel the boiler is a bit big for this engine. There is a 7" wheel on the engine and im going to mic out the bore and stroke. But with a little love this unit should perform nice.