Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Lincoln model unknown

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 3739 times

Old 11-20-2006, 05:01:35 PM
Registered-II

Default Lincoln model unknown

This past weekend I came across a Lincoln welder/generator which is buried under a pile of junk in the corner of an elderly gentlmans garage. He says it is time to part with it. It was last used about 20 years ago and at that time worked perfect. However he does not remember for sure what year it is. He thinks its about mid to early 70s and he is not sure of the model because he can not find the paper work for the unit. The unit is in very good shape but all the decals are gone exept one on the side which says "Lincoln Arc Welder". The unit is mounted on a tubular frame with about 8" or 10" wheels. It is powered with a large single cylinder Kohler engine about 18 hp. The welder/generator panel is on the end of the unit and it has in the centre a weld temp setting dial and two 110v recepitcals, one on each side of the dial. On the far right of the panel is a 220v receptical and on the bottom of the panel are the + and - teminals for the welder.
If this unit sounds familiar I would sure like to know more about it. Model and or code number. If you are familiar with this unit I would like to hear your pro's or con's also.
Thank you in advance for your reply.
Renee
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2006, 08:34:07 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,469 Times in 807 Posts
Default Re: Lincoln model unknown

what color is the kohler and what color is the welder?? it might be an old onan driven welder...the onan engines were In my book junk...And might have been replaced by the kohler..
Old 11-20-2006, 09:20:17 PM
Franz

Go to www.lincolnelectric.com

Search weldpower or weldapower probably 50 different models.

If it runs, and makes electrons it is only worth a couple hundred
Old 11-20-2006, 09:39:06 PM
Registered-II

The entire unit inside and out is red in color including the Kohler engine. The paint looks original.
I have been searching in the Lincoln web site of and on for the past couple days now and there are so many to look at. I may be back to have another look at the unit in about two weeks and I will probably take a picture to post with my message. That may help jog someones memory. In the mean time, when I identify the unit I will let you know.
Renee
Old 12-12-2006, 08:04:55 AM
Registered-II

It is a Weldan Power 150 Ac/Dc. We pulled the unit out from under the pile of junk and saw it was not in as good a shape as we had hoped. To many loose and missing bolts which could not be explained.
However, just out of curiousity, what size hp Kohler did they put on these units? It looks like a single cyl. 16hp? or maybe 18hp? The unit is from the early-mid 80s. The motor is the only untouched part.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:59:22 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,469 Times in 807 Posts

Your kohler engine on that welder is a 10 horse power kohler... here is a link to one like yours... http://groups.google.pl/group/sci.en...eade1ac7cf5d3e
Old 12-14-2006, 04:53:45 PM
Registered-II

Thanks jkwidener. Your right. It is a K series and I downloaded the manuals from Kohler. May offer the owner a few bucks just for the engine. It's the only part not violated.