Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

WHAT...is going on? (classified ads)

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 6072 times

Old 01-03-2008, 05:42:55 PM
Registered-III

Question WHAT...is going on? (classified ads)

I always thought that the "Classified Ads" section was for actual AD's...NOT auctions!!! There's getting to be more & MORE "AUCTION's" for engines &/or parts than actual AD's...WHAT GIVES??? Is that what's gonna happen at the Swap's, too???
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2008, 06:09:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,300 Times in 308 Posts
Default Re: WHAT...is going on?????

Took a little searching but I found the link to the way I like to view the ads:

http://www.enginads.com/classifieds/

You don't have to page thru 14 ads of someone dissecting an engine and selling it on eBay piece by piece....

My website
Old 01-03-2008, 09:42:24 PM
Subscriber

Keep in mind the guys dissecting these engines are the ones keeping the rest of our engines running. Most common engines are worth more in parts than they are complete. One donor engine may bring 10 or more engines back to life, been there done that.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:58:33 PM
Registered-III

Talking Re: WHAT...is going on?????

Guess I am an old school enginads guy, I have always gone to enginads.com to check stuff out. This is the link to page that I always went to when I was in college back in the 90's http://www.old-engine.com/index.php I saw this guy Harry sitting on a GP John Deere in the snow that lived in Oswego(????) NY. I love it when I get a part I need or help someone get a part they need, I made money and lost money on engines and parts and would say after 16yrs of doing the engine bit I am about even and if you can do that an have fun then I think it is wonderful situation, met a lot of people, talked to alot of people, made some mad, made some happy. I couldn't think of a better hobby to be in, cars are cool but don't have any meaning to kids these days, engines are still reasonable if you don't go overboard in spending. Just the ramblings of an insurance agent in southern ohio on a cold night!! before i forget i don't want to make anybody mad, that is the last thing in the world I would want to do, there is already enough of that in the world, you guys are like an extended family to me!!!

Last edited by Rex Pyles; 01-03-2008 at 10:03:49 PM. Reason: i wanted to
Old 01-03-2008, 10:36:18 PM
Registered-III

Well Said Rex,
Bill in KY
Old 01-03-2008, 10:55:26 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gosciminski View Post
Keep in mind the guys dissecting these engines are the ones keeping the rest of our engines running. Most common engines are worth more in parts than they are complete. One donor engine may bring 10 or more engines back to life, been there done that.
I couldn't care less if someone is parting an engine out, I have done it a couple times myself when I had one that wasn't gonna make it for one reason or another. I was just stating a fact as I had just clicked the ad link and had to wade thru several parts for the same engine until I got to the for sales.

Thanks Rex... you know you made me happy........

My website

Last edited by Jim Sherman; 01-03-2008 at 11:37:25 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:01:47 PM
Registered-III

I understand the dissecting part...that goes without saying. What I DON'T understand is WHY they have to be auctioned off to the highest bidder & not just sold outright at a fair price! Some guys have deep pockets & will pay whatever it takes & to hell with the rest of us that have a limited budget to work with!
Maybe I'm just old fashioned about this, but it seems to me that there's getting to be too many out there that are after the almighty $DOLLAR$ instead of just enjoying this great hobby.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:12:26 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,162 Times in 430 Posts

e-bay has ruined it for the rest of us, some of these engine guys want top dollar, one guy here shall remain nameless wanted $75 for a fairbanks D carb, ended up buying it locally from a collector for $30, and it had the choke plate too!!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:51:41 AM
Subscriber

One thing I have noticed is some guys will post engines for sale on Harry's and run the ads several times, with no results it seems, then the engine appears on E-bay and brings at least as much as being asked on here or even more. I wonder if the folks buying are'nt looking here first? Or are they just getting caught up in the excitement of the auction and become involved in a bidding war??
Old 01-04-2008, 12:51:52 AM
Registered-III

...gotta love auctions.Cuts out the WHINERS!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:15:18 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,164 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
e-bay has ruined it for the rest of us, some of these engine guys want top dollar, one guy here shall remain nameless wanted $75 for a fairbanks D carb, ended up buying it locally from a collector for $30, and it had the choke plate too!!
Chris:

It's what the market will stand, nothing else.

If there is a buyer at the asking price, then there's a deal, otherwise it wouldn't sell.

People are more conscious of ebay these days, and it does bring a wider audience into play than would otherwise be the case.

Yes, there is bound to be a profit motive as well, but we are all guilty of thinking about the $$'s I am sure.

Peter
Old 01-04-2008, 10:29:23 AM
Banner Sponsor

Thanked 4,098 Times in 533 Posts
Angry Re: WHAT...is going on?

ok guys, I know your bitchin about me here so let me have it.

I list the parts on the auction page because I'm sure there are alot of guys like me that don't have the time to search ebay everyday looking for that part they need but they make sure they spend time on Smokstak so this is a way that they can see that the part is on Ebay and can go look at it. And yes I have parted out a few engines so that guys can get the parts they need. I figure that one not so complete engine that got parted out will make many others up and running again. There are tons of guys that thank me for the parts that they need and have been looking for compared to handfull of complainers that are out there. I don't see anyone on here complaining about some of the major parts suppliers on here who have parted out engines years.

THIS TOPIC COMES UP ALL THE TIME AND IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF ABOUT ALL THE CRONIC COMPLAINERS ON THE STAK AND THE WAY I SEE IT IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN DONT BID ON THE ITEMS BECAUSE SOMEONE ONE ELSE WILL.

Tom W
Ohio
Old 01-04-2008, 10:38:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,356 Posts
Default Re: WHAT...is going on?

Tom,
Not to get you more po'd but I think the complaint was the many auction ads all in a row of all the parts of a single engine. I kind of liked it better when ad ran something like "parting out 1 1/2 FBM on Ebay. See auction # 1231231223 & click on "View seller's other items"; then maybe another for 2 1/2 hp Hercules instead of ten ads for parts of the same engine. Just my opinion.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:56:46 AM
Banner Sponsor

Thanked 4,098 Times in 533 Posts

Thanks Doug, I'll try that next time.

Tom W
Old 01-04-2008, 11:10:13 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

I Just bought an F M. Z D carb on Ebay for $34.00 with the choke plate and didn't even have to go past the mail box to get it. I am making about 1/2 of my income off of Ebay auctions now and I don't post my engine parts on Engineads if they are on Ebay. If in the future I should part out another engine I will run one ad to draw attention to the Ebay sale.
Iron Wolf
Old 01-04-2008, 12:24:55 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kimball View Post
Tom,
Not to get you more po'd but I think the complaint was the many auction ads all in a row of all the parts of a single engine. I kind of liked it better when ad ran something like "parting out 1 1/2 FBM on Ebay. See auction # 1231231223 & click on "View seller's other items"; then maybe another for 2 1/2 hp Hercules instead of ten ads for parts of the same engine. Just my opinion.
Well said Doug.

My website

Last edited by Jim Sherman; 01-04-2008 at 12:43:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:00:54 PM
Registered-III

I have no problem with Tom (or anyone) parting out an engine rather than spending a pile of money trying to bring it back to life. It happens daily with cars, machinery etc.
The part that does hurt is when a series of auctions comes up with parts "removed from a running engine". In my feeble way of thinking, that is only done for greed!
The next Staker may now take the soapbox.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:38:52 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,949 Times in 433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Ackley View Post
I understand the dissecting part...that goes without saying. What I DON'T understand is WHY they have to be auctioned off to the highest bidder & not just sold outright at a fair price! Some guys have deep pockets & will pay whatever it takes & to hell with the rest of us that have a limited budget to work with!
Maybe I'm just old fashioned about this, but it seems to me that there's getting to be too many out there that are after the almighty $DOLLAR$ instead of just enjoying this great hobby.
Randy, I listed a complete and "running" Stover CT4 with a hot Wico mag on here for $500.00 EVERYONE that responded wanted me to take money off and make them a deal. Sorry but I think $500.00 is a good feal for that engine, I put it on twice and still own the engine so now I will take it apart and sell it is pieces on Ebay for as much as I can and I guess that will bi close to $1000 that way. So it is a 2 way street. If you offer something out at a fair price and people want to talk you down why is that any different then a seller just trying to get as much as he can in the 1st place? Mike
Old 01-04-2008, 05:42:04 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,444 Times in 2,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kimball View Post
Tom has been posting correctly! I want all eBay ads to appear in the eBay section of the ad board where I have provided links for their auction numbers and their eBay user name that links to all of their auctions. I suppose that ALL the parts of one engine could be combined into one ad, but I haven't made it a point to maintain that policy.

If you don't want to see auction listings in your Enginads line-up, go to the individual boards and read the ads from there.

Non-auction: http://www.enginads.com/classifieds/showcat.php/cat/2

Auctions: http://www.enginads.com/classifieds/showcat.php/cat/25
Old 01-04-2008, 05:56:32 PM
Subscriber

Well said Mike, I tried for 3 years to sell a RESTORED RUNNING 7 hp Herc model EK throttler on the orig cart with a clutch for $1,400.00 and no takers,( seems you can't give the 7 hp trottles away ) One day I got a good offer on the clutch and decided to LET THE GAMES BEGIN and part it out
In 2 years time I have gotten over $3,000.00 in sales of parts from it and still have goodies left. If I come across another like it the same will hapen to it. ( The way I feel is do what you want with things you own and let others do what they want with thers. )