Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary  Engines

Information on Mumford Medland Ltd.

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2519 times

Old 02-12-2009, 05:39:20 PM
Subscriber

Smile Information on Mumford Medland Ltd.

Hi everyone, does anybody know whatever happened to a firm called Mumford Medland from Winnipeg. They were the Ruston Hornsby Agents for Canada and the company records would be good research tools.

Cheers Al
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2009, 11:52:51 PM
Card Sponsor

Default Re: Information on Mumford Medland Ltd.

Hi as far as I know Mumford Medland of Winnipeg MB became Wajax.I remember the old Mumford Medland place up in Murray Industrial Park.The old Canadian fairbanks Morse building is still on Princess Street.It says Canadian Fairbanks Morse above the door etched in Tyndal stone,and now it's a clothing store.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:52:34 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,164 Times in 756 Posts

You could email Ray Hooley in the UK, he holds the archives for R & H and may have some information.

Ray's contact details are in his website on the contact page:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/ruston

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to ListerDiesel For This Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 11:34:10 AM
Subscriber

Hi Rudy, Peter

I think that you are onto something Rudy with Mussens being sold to Wajax back in 1985 but so far I cannot find out about Mumford being sold to either Mussens or Wajax. I suppose this is a backwards way of doing research but I thought it might lead somewhere since I was originally looking for information on a Ruston 6H sold by Mussens to CPR possibly.
I will get in touch with Ray again and see if he can shed any light on the subject.

Cheers Al
Old 02-14-2009, 04:12:25 PM
Registered-III

Hey Al, I have sent an email to the rail museum in Winnipeg to see if they have any contacts.

For those of you that dont know, both AL and I are looking for more information on the Rustons that were sold in Western Canada. We have both contacted Ray and purchased his materials. I think we are looking now for more detailed information that is perhaps local.

I personally am interested in the company and its history as there are always good stories.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:59:32 PM
Subscriber

Smile Re: Information on Mumford Medland Ltd.

Hi Rudy, I've start to do reverse information searching on my Ruston project.You see my engine came from a CPR pumping station and so since CP never buys just one of anything I thought I would have a look around my area to see if any of these pumping stations survived, many of my friends in the area tell me that they do exist out in the bush so I'm trying to track them down and go for a hike to see if anything has survived in them. Now if only I could get my hands on a old railway map showing the places. Hmmmm. BTW the project is coming along nicely with the engine now completely stripped down ready for cleaning and reconditioning as much as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	All Stripped Down_1.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	48763   Click image for larger version

Name:	UUGGGGLLLYY_6_1.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	48764  
The Following User Says Thank You to Allan Crook For This Post:
Old 02-21-2009, 03:19:25 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,164 Times in 756 Posts

While looking out my CR books for answering a query in the 'general' section above, I found a letter inside from Mumford Medland Ltd., 576 Wall Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba.

It was addressed to National Grain Co Ltd., Dauphin, Manitoba.

Peter
Old 02-21-2009, 04:20:16 PM
Registered-III

Can you do a good scan and post it (or email it to me?)... I would be interested.

AL, the restore is looking great!! I hope you put the pump back on it.

I am waiting for space in my shop so I can start on mine. A few pictures. I just uncovered it while we had a bit of warmth. I was able to adjust it so that I could try to turn the flywheel. It is stuck It wasnt supposed to be stuck I am hoping it is just a bit of moisture and the sub zero conditions but i may have to haul it apart (which I was hoping not to have to do). It was running a grain elevator up until 10 years ago.

Leo
www.engineutopia.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00071.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	49180   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00049.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	49181  

Last edited by spfx_dude; 02-21-2009 at 04:28:16 PM. Reason: Content
Old 02-22-2009, 11:19:53 AM
Subscriber

Cool pic's Leo. Could you send along a few hi resolution pictures to my e-mail. I'm especially interested in the piston ring oil injection quill and a little more detail of your camshaft. I see you were lucky enough to have air start on your engine, lucky indeed most of these engines from what I understand were "hand start". BTW I went to several UK web sites in my hunt for information on my engine you might be interested in them. The Museum of Internal Fire were really helpful and they have plenty of resources available. They gave me free access to there web resources but I'll send along the 10 quid anyway because they were so helpful. Here's the addresses.

http://www.internalfire.com/index.php

http://www.enginemuseum.org/index.html

Cheers Al
Old 02-22-2009, 11:25:58 AM
Subscriber

Hi Leo, I was just looking at your pictures again, turn your engine if you can to outer (bottom) dead centre where your rings are at the bottom of the liner and crank your Manzel Lubricator like crazy and inject some oil into your piston rings this may save having to pull the piston.

Cheers Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfx_dude View Post
Can you do a good scan and post it (or email it to me?)... I would be interested.

AL, the restore is looking great!! I hope you put the pump back on it.

I am waiting for space in my shop so I can start on mine. A few pictures. I just uncovered it while we had a bit of warmth. I was able to adjust it so that I could try to turn the flywheel. It is stuck It wasnt supposed to be stuck I am hoping it is just a bit of moisture and the sub zero conditions but i may have to haul it apart (which I was hoping not to have to do). It was running a grain elevator up until 10 years ago.

Leo
www.engineutopia.com