Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Central Machinery T-063 bandsaw... Any good?

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 738 times

Old 07-17-2017, 01:21:31 PM
Registered-III

Default Central Machinery T-063 bandsaw... Any good?

I'm still looking for a decent metal cutting bandsaw in my price range.

I've come across a Central Machinery T-063 - SID 7" x 12" listed at $350.

I'm not having much luck finding much info about it online. Does anybody here have experience with them, or know if they go by a different model number, or what newer saw they're similar to? I've read that the 7" x 12" HF saws are actually pretty good for the money, but I don't really know.

I'd just go look at it, but it's a 2.5 hour drive each way, and not coming back with it would kind of suck.

Thanks!
Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2017, 01:54:54 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Central Machinery T-063 bandsaw... Any good???

Central Machinery is Harbor Freight if that tells you anything about quality or lack of lol
Old 07-17-2017, 02:27:34 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormowers View Post
Central Machinery is Harbor Freight if that tells you anything about quality or lack of lol
Yep, I'm aware of that, & I know most of their stuff is on par for the price. But... I have read in several places that their 7 x 12s are better than one might expect from HF... I just haven't yet been able to find out if that applies to this particular one.

Life's too short for crappy tools, so if this one is "Standard" HF quality, I'll pass on it.

Chris
Old 07-17-2017, 03:18:49 PM
Subscriber

We have a Harbor Freight about an hour from where I live. I have looked at their bandsaws and the smaller ones seem flimsy. I just looked at the one you are asking about and it looks pretty substantial, but I don't know.

Dad bought the next size smaller saw years ago from ENCO and it has done lots of work.

If it is anything like Dad's saw, it will probably last quite a while for you if you are doing occasional work. If you are doing stuff on a professional level, get something better.

And my opinion is worth what you paid...

-Travis
Old 07-17-2017, 04:33:59 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Central Machinery T-063 bandsaw... Another option

Here is a plan B if you're looking for something small and flexible. Bought a DeWalt porta-band and made this stand for it. I cut through a piece OD 2" cast iron rod in about 4 mins. Nice thing is one can always remove the M6x1" screws for portability. Don't know what your needs are diameter-wise . This puppy has saved lots of time. The upside is you get a decent saw for about $300 with many uses. Took me about four hours to make the stand. Blades are about 5-12 bucks each depending on quality and available at box stores like home despot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	286694  
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGray For This Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 04:39:29 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,065 Times in 799 Posts

Any way to have them verify the model number? Have you seen a picture of the tag?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:32:01 PM
Registered-III

HF's quality is getting better on a lot of things. While not good for most commercial applications for the home work shop they will last years. There quality is no worse than most other hardware store tools. Face it, most tools you buy for a reasonable price are made in china. Just HF doesn't jack up the price by putting a american name on it. I am actually waiting for the Bauer brand portable band saws to go on sale so I can scoop one up!! They look like great machines $120 vs $350 for a milwaukee or dewalt.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:38:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,376 Times in 1,865 Posts

Nice work on the table Paul.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:16:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,902 Times in 1,263 Posts

Chris,
I've had one for about a year. I had an ENCO 6"x10" direct drive with 3-speed gearbox .... gear broke & took out another or two. I had a HF 25% off coupon & saw was on sale. I had a project that needed a cut-off saw. I think I paid about $600. I've used Lennox & Starrett bi-metal blades and am satisfied with it. It cuts square after some adjustment. I appreciate the larger size compared to the ENCO & it's much better than the smaller 4 1/2" x 6" saws. I don't care for the cheap plastic belt guard or the speed changes compared to the 3-speed ENCO by just shifting a knob. Buy a quality bi-metal saw blade as hi-carbon one that comes with it is not good & won't last long. I use it primarily horizontally but vertically on occasion.
ENCO no longer had parts but after buying the new one found that Grizzly sells same/similar saw & sourced repair parts from them and was able to rebuild gearbox & sell it at a decent price when I thought it was junk.

Last edited by Doug Kimball; 07-17-2017 at 09:35:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:13:08 PM
Registered-II

$350 sounds irrationally expensive to me for something like this. Around here I can't see it bringing much more than $75. Right now a friend of mine has on craigslist a Powermatic 20" metal cutting saw with a blade welder (the welder does not work) for $650. i fairly regularly see older Wells and Johnson saws going for the price of yours, and no one would debate that these are REAL saws.

Personally, I would look for the larger Johnson model J. It's something like 9" x 18" which seems big but as soon as you have to cut an angle you will be amazed at how quickly that capacity gets gobbled up. I don't know about you but I absolutely HATE doing a job and bumping up against a saw/mill/lathe/whatever that is juuuuust too small to do the job.

I have owned several orientals over the years and I have come to the conclusion that they are created as punishment for bad behavior. They vibrate, they run hot, the motors are wimpy (and prone to premature failure), and the chintzy aspects of these machines make them a chore to use. All I have left is a "wide" (13") belt sander for surfacing wood. It's a nuisance but I bought it cheap and it's semi-okay for the very occasional use it gets so I keep it around. But the depth setting mechanism is prone to drifting, the raising and lowering mechanism is cheezy, and the depth gauge is plastic and floppy to the point of being useless. It chugs along for a while, then it simply stops. Many times this is caused by the head drifting lower and taking a deeper cut than intended. Let it cool off, reset the breaker and try again, then hope the thing made a cut of a depth somewhere similar to what you wanted. Marvelous.

If this sounds appealing to you, go for the oriental machine. If not, wait until a real saw comes along. You'll be glad you did.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 01:45:16 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Central Machinery T-063 bandsaw... Any good?

I passed on this one... Getting more info about it from the seller was like pulling teeth.

I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks for all the input!
Chris
Old 07-21-2017, 02:07:48 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,065 Times in 799 Posts
Default Re: Central Machinery T-063 bandsaw... Any good?

When I checked Denver Craigs list there were a pile of them. But I would not want to drive in Denver for a saw either.