Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

6.5 NHD quit generating

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1461 times

Old 08-13-2011, 11:45:55 AM
Registered

Default 6.5 NHD quit generating

Hi - all
First off I have a ONAN 6.5NHDFB30502M Serial # D0000 89093
The problem started when I went to start the generator after sitting a while, the battery was low but gen started up and ran perfect - appeared to be no output voltage, after futher checking, output voltage was 48 volts at 62 hz, brushes are new, changed out voltage regulator (I have a spare) same thing not enough output.This is the first problem, now on to the second or most recent problem, with the circuit cover off checking votages etc, The L0 J3 and the L1 J4 came unplugged while it was running when these wires came unplugged it engaged the starter - need to know where these wires go, they come out of the control board and go somewhere on the output side of the generator- where my breakers etc are. I have cleaned the slip rings 7 ohms reading across slip rings, nothing to ground , I read 2.7 k ohms reading across brushes with them out of gen With wires still attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Taking it to a cummins mechanic wil be kinda of a hassle as they are about 50 miles away, if any one has a wiring diagram for this genset would be very helpful- Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2011, 02:47:32 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: 6.5 NHD quit generating

On my very different unit, one AC ring (the neutral ), is grounded.(through the brush) One prong of a plug, 1/2 the DC brushes, 1/2 the AC brushes, all grounded. This is a comment to THINK on. You'd be better off to get advice from "a resident smart guy", before ACTING. (on that). D.