Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Kubota Z482 Diesel powered generator

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 5036 times

Old 06-23-2015, 11:54:17 PM
Registered

Default Kubota Z482 Diesel powered generator

The engine is out of a kubota T1600 lawn mower it is belt driven 2 to 1 to a 12 Kw 1800 Rpm military surplus generator it's a Lima 3 phase. The engine runs at 3600 rpm runs great almost no blow by holds a load well right up to 8 KW engine smokes a little but that's what the engine is rated for. The problem i'm having is the valve cover is filling full of oil and not not draining back it take 30- 40 min to fill and then it all starts coming out of the crank case vent it don't blow it out fast just a pencel lead size steady strame once it gets going and won't stop until i unload it and idle it down..... the engine is rated for 3600 continuous use. I am stumped as why it's flooding the valve cover i figured this how after i refilled it and loaded it for about 15 min and took the filler cap off and looked valve cover was about half full. if i leave the cap off it don't flood. or if i put a piece of plastic over the cap so i can look in there it didn't flood until i put the cap back on. Nothing is wrong with the vent its open and clean and all the parts are in there correctly this engine has almost no hours on it from what i can tell. Loading don't seem to make much of a difference for it flooding the valve cover. Any ideas The only thing i can think of is change the pulley so the engine runs just a little slower but i will lose capacity with a slow engine speed. I would figure if it had a lot of blow by it would need a rebuild or at least rings but there is only enough you can see if you hold the breather up to the light you can't even feel it!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2015, 12:39:09 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Kubota Z482 Diesel powered generator

Are the drain ports all free and clear in the head? Does it drain if you pull the cap or does it just not overflow?
Old 06-24-2015, 10:40:00 PM
Registered-II

1st, what oil are you using? 15w 40 is too thick, 10w-30 or 10w-40 is what it calls for.
I would guess you have excessive blow by if the drains are clear. with just a "breather tube" out of the valve cover being the only vent of blowby. How much airflow is coming from the breather tube?
2nd, you are overloading that engine, with 2hp/kw as a guide, you would need at least 24hp to power that generator, the continuous hp rating for the 2cyl Kubota is less then half of what you need.
I have a 722 (the 3 cyl version of your engine) and I know it likes to run at 2400 better then 3600.
Also the engine bearings are not rated for high sideloads so a external bearing(s) should be used to keep from damaging the crank bearings
Old 06-27-2015, 11:39:42 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,400 Times in 1,392 Posts

^^ thinner oil might help - but there's something wrong. (I use 15W-40 in similar engines with no issues)

The engine isn't necessarily overloaded. It's rated at 14 HP, so pulling 8 kW is about right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZelmer View Post
...I am stumped as why it's flooding the valve cover...
I think it's simply a combination of blow-by (the engine is worn, and maybe needs rings) and plugged oil drain ports. Pull the valve cover and have a look-see at the oil drain holes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim McIntyre For This Post:
Old 06-28-2015, 02:27:28 AM
Registered

I am using Parts master 15-w40 the oil drain back through the push rod holes and there are 2 holes on the bottom of each lifter and a hole between the two middle lifters and one on the flywheel end. under the cam are only 2 half inch or less holes that let oil drain in by the crank and pan not sure if there is another hole under the front cover behind the cam gear or not. not taking that stuff apart at this time. even took the guts out of the breather in the top of the valve cover to see if that helped. It didn't. I tried 10w30 also parts master brand oil that made it worse it will fill the valve cover in 10 min with that. There is a little blow by but not much you have to hold the breather tube up to light to see it. not enough you can feel unless you put it to your cheek. if i hold my finger over the breather hose it will pressurize but takes about 3 seconds before there is enough to feel when i take my finger off. This is the same engine they use in the 6,7 & 8 KW generators the kubota makes fisher panda uses this in the 8 kw marine units also. It takes 7-8 Kw like a champ holds rpm well and only starts to smoke black just a little bit at 8 kw or more! ya it will roll coal if i over load it. I just got done splattering this thing it pissed me off I didn't see any thing wrong with any thing as i took it apart. I did learn it was rebuilt at one point it has .25MM over pistons & rings in it the pistons don't even have any scratches on them. the cyl walls were worn a little on the thrust side a little scratching not even enough i could feel with my fingernail. rings look good rod bearings don't have a scratch one them. I lightly honed it and hit the rings with some scotch bright to take the shine off. Will get a head gasket this week and see what happens. 120 bucks for 2 sets of aftermarket rings i will use the old ones! Checked ring end gap it't right at the top of the factory spec. well under the allowable max. The belt drive i'm using on this is the same that ran the mower deck on the lawn mower i only used a bigger pully on the generator to get my 2 to 1 ratio. It should be fine i'm even using the same tensioner.

With the 10-30 i can leave the oil fill cap off and it still won't drain loaded or unloaded. makes no difference. unloaded just takes a little longer like 5 min difference. The reason i have a 12 KW generator on this is because i got the generator for 200 bucks! Score! And i Know the engine is only rated at 8.1 KW continuous out put for generator use at 3600 rpm That is Kubota's spec! right off there sheet! I don't expect more than 7-8 Kw out of this set up any way. more like a 5-6 KW average load any way. I guess we will see what happens. The rings may not have been seated any way i don't know. This mower was traded in because the hydro unit munched something had lots of shavings in it and wouldn't move! So I used the engine for something i wanted to do for a while! I will post some pics when i get it back together.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:00:31 AM
Registered-II

The 12 KW Lima sounds like the one in my M-1031. It runs off the 6.2 truck motor via a PTO.

Would be interested in seeing pics of your set up, and you can always be on the look out for a bigger motor to get full capacity out of the gen head.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:07:58 AM
Subscriber

If it's not a combination of blowby and plugged drain ports, and its not the oil itself, that leaves only one thing (well two things, but thing two is very unlikely).

Can you run the engine without the valve cover and see where all the oil is coming from? It sounds like there's just too much oil getting delivered to the valve train.

Thing two relates to some kind of anti-gravity vortex in your area, but again, that seems unlikely...
Old 07-04-2015, 03:04:06 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dependable View Post
The 12 KW Lima sounds like the one in my M-1031. It runs off the 6.2 truck motor via a PTO.

Would be interested in seeing pics of your set up, and you can always be on the look out for a bigger motor to get full capacity out of the gen head.

That is what this was out of but it had a gas small block on it i have all the engine controls if any one needs or wants them i have no use for them the only thing i don't have is the throttle actuator. I also have the giant timing Pulley and belt from it. Just taking up space PM me if you need or have a use for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McIntyre View Post
If it's not a combination of blowby and plugged drain ports, and its not the oil itself, that leaves only one thing (well two things, but thing two is very unlikely).

Can you run the engine without the valve cover and see where all the oil is coming from? It sounds like there's just too much oil getting delivered to the valve train.

Thing two relates to some kind of anti-gravity vortex in your area, but again, that seems unlikely...

The oil looks like it is just running off the rocker arms it's a good steady drip almost a stream off all 4 rocker arms could they be warn and just letting that much oil by? there isn't any play in them that i could feel it is still apart. i will look at them off the shaft.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:52:32 PM
Subscriber

I'm sticking with my blowby theory. Especially if the problem goes away when you remove the load on the generator. Max load = Max blowby.

This is the reason that crankcase vent isn't connected to the intake manifold - a Diesel could run away if it starts pumping lube oil into the intake...
Old 07-09-2015, 09:59:32 AM
Registered-II

I don't think its blow-by. I have seen engines with a whole lot of it and now have any issues with drainage. have you tried running wire or something down the drain holes to make sure they are clear? You could pull the valve cover and try pouring a quart of oil on the head and see how it drains without the engine running. That would rule out blow-by.