Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Lookin' for info

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 2404 times

Old 02-08-2007, 07:40:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,626 Times in 504 Posts
Default Re: Lookin' for info

No, I don't know when it was written or originally published, but I have seen it reprinted under a few different titles. It was obviously written back in the day and intended to be a learning tool for real thresherman, not just hobbyists like us. I love the language and the writing style the author uses, maybe it's just the plain old fashioned speak of it. It makes what is basically a manual read like a good story IMO.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2007, 09:39:28 AM
Registered-III

I've downloaded Maggard's book and at first glance it looks like what I was looking for. I also won a 181 page book by him on that site.

I thank you all who replied. My interest for now is to run an engine and boiler safely. I see no reason why his book wouldn't apply to our VFT also. As previously mentioned, we ran a similiar setup last fall for several days and learned a bunch, ran the injectors at several pressure settings, experimented with blower, draft, which needed some serious attention, and ran the coke bottle style vertical, similiar to our Wachs. The engine ran a shingle mill so it got loaded up very nicely.

We've now got the material for skid ordered, Friend Corky is milling a mount for the mechanical oiler. Then I'll pipe (or do you plumb oil line ) using 3/16 aircraft tubing up to the main steam line.

Well I've got some reading to do, but first I need to make a few passes with the snowplow.

Take Care....Live is Good!!!
Rick
Old 02-09-2007, 10:34:07 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,664 Times in 1,069 Posts

Rick,

Here are some photos of a vertical boiler and engine mounted on a skid that I took at N.T.A. in 2005.

Jeff Smith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2697.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	16413   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2699.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	16414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy IMG_2698.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	16415  
Old 02-10-2007, 06:56:31 AM
Registered-III

Talking Re: Lookin' for info

Thanks Jeff. One of these days I hope to get better acquainted with my displacement oiler. For now, I don't have a warm fuzzy on the glass packing. Will show it to Gary and the Mt. boys when I run into them.

Now these engines on that site have me stumped.

Plowing again today,
RickinMt.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:57:48 AM
Email NOT Working - Over Quota

Rick:

The answer to the question, "plumb an oil line" was answered by a pipefitter to me.

"The only thing that is plumbed is a bathroom, and I am a pipefitter, NOT a plumber." Quite forcibly!

So, I take him at his word, and pipe an engine, not plumb it.

Melvin
Old 02-10-2007, 10:40:18 AM
eMail NOT Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPierce View Post
Rick:

The answer to the question, "plumb an oil line" was answered by a pipefitter to me.

"The only thing that is plumbed is a bathroom, and I am a pipefitter, NOT a plumber." Quite forcibly!

So, I take him at his word, and pipe an engine, not plumb it.

Melvin
One of differences between plumbers and pipe fitters is that plumbers don't bite their fingernails. John the retired plumber.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:33:00 PM
Registered-III

Question Re: Lookin' for info

Plumb it is . How can we tell if our engine is getting the right amount of oil? Oiler does have a sightglass and one can see the pulsations.

Rick
Old 02-10-2007, 02:17:36 PM
Registered-II

Thanks for the Gutenberg site!! Downloaded the text zipped in about ten seconds on a dialup!!

Great reading. They sure have a wealth of titles there.

Most respectfully,
Mike Rock
Old 02-10-2007, 03:06:35 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Lookin' for info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Strobel View Post
Plumb it is . How can we tell if our engine is getting the right amount of oil? Oiler does have a sightglass and one can see the pulsations.

Rick
Rick; One way to tell is to watch your exhaust steam, be it from cylinder cocks, weeps at packing glands, or the like. When you have discoloration and it looks like pus, you are on the right track. PUS IS GOOD. Start out heavy and work to less feed, not the other way around. Oil is cheaper than making new parts. In addition to Rough And Tumble Engineering , another James Maggard text The Traction Engine It's Use And Abuse is a good read. My copy is copyrighted 1898 and revised and enlarged (By An Expert Engineer) in 1902. If your "Coke Bottle" engine and vertical boiler are rigidly mounted together pipe your engine exhaust to the boiler stack like a traction engine and use that exhaust steam for draft rather than running a blower. It will save you some steam, which in turn will save you fuel and water. That, in turn, will save you work! Firing's fun, but no need to over do it! Hope this helps - HAPPY STEAMING!