Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Harry, worldwide virus??

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1424 times

Old 01-25-2003, 07:10:09 PM
David Greenwalt

Default Harry, worldwide virus??

Hi Harry, this morning I know some who had trouble logging on. And then I saw on CNN that the internet was attacked by a worldwide virus this morning. How, or did, it effect your server? Just curious, I've been hearing one of the ways terrorist will attack next is by trying to severely disrupt the net. David.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2003, 09:51:20 PM
Jim Fero

Default Re: Harry, worldwide virus??

David, if they start messing with our internet, I will personally kick they're asses!!

Jim
Old 01-25-2003, 10:29:40 PM
Simon Thomson, Scotland UK.

David, I thought Harry had one of his rare server outages. You know the ones that near give you a heart attack when you can't access the stack and you think the world has ended.

Sometimes I would get the split windows of the frames saying page unavailable in the bottom frame and the top one blank or just throwing me offline. or other times I would get thrown offline with nothing onscreen.

It just seemed to affect U.S. sites as I could access euro sites no problem but when I tried my wee sisters pages or Harrys I got thrown offline.

I hope these nonentities aren't testing the waters for a www.meltdown.

I personally know muslims that are absolutely sick at the thought of OBL and what he's trying to do, but when you read about the sick individuals that are trying to hide under a peaceful religion and stir up hatred it creates distrust and resentment on both sides. I personally am not religious in any way as I believe religion is responsible for 99% of the worlds problems.

Here I go again well off topic. No offence to anyone is intended and I hope nobody is put out.

Regards Simon.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:45:08 PM
Administrator

Thanked 11,696 Times in 2,023 Posts

Nothing happening inside the server. Outside is another matter - it's a big world web out there.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:59:45 PM
Bill Sherlock

Simon,

I think you forgot to include politics.

Bill
Old 01-26-2003, 02:01:37 PM
David Greenwalt

Gotta find 'em first Jim, I've checked the caves around here. They are all clean. David.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:19:42 PM
David Greenwalt

Just curious Harry, about just how much outside influence effects us. This technology is still a wonder to this old country boy. We have a large board at work in our conference room that you can draw sketches and diagrams on, it's hooked up to other plants across the world. I can be talking to someone in Brazil or Germany and if he has a suggestion on some experimental equipment he can just sketch it in and shows up on our board as he's doing it. And if I don't like it, I can erase and sketch in my suggestion and see what he thinks of it. Sure beats the heck out of waiting weeks going back and forth by snail mail or trying to picture in your mind what each other is trying to say over the conference phone. I know this is old hat to a lot of you guys, but I think it's pretty neat. David.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:11:10 PM
Administrator

Thanked 11,696 Times in 2,023 Posts

The worm attacks SQL, a data base function in the servers. I have mine shut down because we don't use it and luckily so. There is a fix to this current bug, but I don't have it implemented yet. I think I will do so soon even if we don't use the function.

Some of the newer php boards use sql and they are able to handle phenominal amounts of messages and users. We may have to convert to it in the future. Unfortunately, those boards don't do threads.

The worm crawls into SQL, infects it and then propagates itself out to other machines. Before long the traffic gets so thick there's no room left for regular user's access.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:45:31 PM
Randy

My internet server was hit. It started Saturday, around 12noon, CST & I was just able to get back on-line, a couple hours, ago. Their e-mail is still affected, but I don't use that one, so I don't care about that. Just glad to be back on-line! I have to use a generic password, but will change that, soon.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:06:14 AM
Simon Thomson, Scotland UK.

There's just been another bulletin on CNN about it. It's called the SQL slammer virus. Luckily this one didn't have a "payload" but they expect copycat viruses in the next few weeks that do carry a payload. I take it when they talk about payload they mean it will cause widespread disruption and damage to servers.

Simon.