Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Chain Saw Collectors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Chain Saw Collectors Vintage chainsaws and other air cooled gas engine saws, collecting and restoring.

Chain Saw Collectors

McCulloch chain saw Need help with I.D

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 925 times

Old 06-18-2017, 11:56:53 PM
Registered-II

Default McCulloch chain saw Need help with I.D

i have a aquirred a McCulloch chain saw that needs some TLC. I ve scoured the saw all over and cannot find any markings.
I ve been told the model number is under the gas cap on the tank. I ve unscrewed it on it and the only numbers i find are 28732. I ve checked with Chainssaw corners and find nothing on this. Anyone that can direct me in to where i can find a model number ...i d be grateful.
The saw in back is a McCulloch 35. The one up front is a....i dont know...i do notice the oil tank for the auto oiler is missing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3499.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	284699  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2017, 12:28:25 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: McCulloch chain saw Need help with I.D

your saw looks like a 33 or 35 mac
Old 06-19-2017, 11:01:45 PM
Registered-II

Those saws were a very good saw as long as it did not have carburetor problems. That would make a preacher curse at time.I worked for a McCulloch dealer in the late 50's and eventually was a dealer in the late 60's and early 70's. All the saws I ever saw with the black on them were the Super 33 series. I never saw one with an automatic oiler. they all had the little thumb pump down by the handlebar in front of the carburetor air filter. The diaphragm in these saws were large and often got baggy and stretched which caused it to run an extremely rich fuel mixture. The little lever at the top of the carb section could be moved from one side to the other as if it were a load adjusting needle. when you go to the end of it's travel, just pull up on it and get another bite to adjust a little more. putting a diaphragm and the steel ball fuel valve back in one of these is an exercise in patience. These saws were a staple of people cutting pulp wood here in the 50's and 60's. They put a bow on them and the gear reduction pulling a large 1/2" pitch chain were a very reliable combination. They were slow cutters, but almost bullet proof.There was also a brush cutter attachment sold for them.It was bolted on to where you took the transmission and oil tank off and used the saw clutch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GADavis For This Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 12:20:39 AM
Subscriber

I've had a couple of these over the years & have to say they were about the most trouble free of any saw I ever owned....Until the Stil saws out there now. The Onle trouble I ever had with them were the recoil starter spring & It was a real bear to replace.