Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

CAV DPA Injection Pump - Nothing From the Upper Bleed Screw

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 2014 times

Old 04-25-2018, 06:08:43 AM
Email NOT Working

Default Re: CAV DPA Injection Pump - Nothing From the Upper Bleed Screw

send me a private message and I will send you pdf of the DPA manual
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2018, 06:44:03 AM
Registered-I

Joe I think you are on the right lines. If the head is not prevented from going in by the cam ring it must be bottoming out on the drive shaft. Is the o ring on the head entering the housing? A little grease or oil will assist along with making sure the lead in of the housing bore is clean.
Hugh
Old 04-25-2018, 08:12:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Stewart View Post
May be a piece of trash in there that I missed, which is preventing main drive shaft from being pulled forward.
Trash? doesn't this youtube expert say anything about injection pumps having to be CLEAN?
Smokstak member #442
Old 05-06-2018, 08:14:07 PM
Registered-II

Well, I finally used a huge C-clamp to push the hydraulic head into the aluminum housing. I wasn't proud of doing this, but it worked. I thought that I should have been able to push it in with muscles only.

I went on to assemble the rest of the pump and ran into several more problems.

I tried to slide the new carbon fiber vanes into their slots on the transfer pump rotor, but they are tight tight tight. I worked them back and forth with plenty of diesel for lubricant, and was finally able to get them into the slots.

Then I tried to install the transfer pump liner and could not get it to go in. The carbon fiber vanes would not let it get past. So i took the vanes out and installed the liner first (I think Mr. Bundy did it this way anyway). One vane will fit in, but the other won't because it seems the vane is too long to fit within the inside diameter of the liner. Then I took the liner and vanes back out, and I went over the inner surface of the liner with 600 grit wet paper. I placed one of the vanes inside the liner and rotated the liner (this is with both parts in my hands, not on the pump). That vane seems to be fine. I took the other vane and placed it inside the liner and tried to rotate the liner (again, in my hands). This vane keeps getting hung up, as if the liner is distorted (or the vane is too long). Perhaps I am supposed to trim this vane down? Manual does not mention anything like this.

I finally just went ahead and installed the vanes and liner and tried to bolt on the end plate. Well, as soon as I put torque on those four bolts that hold on the end plate, the pump seizes up and will not rotate. It is as if the transfer pump rotor is protruding ever so slightly and binds on the aluminum end plate when I tighten up the bolts.

And to make matters worse, I cannot get one bolt started on its threads - this is the bolt that holds on the automatic advance device housing. It is actually the bolt that houses the "cold start device". Can't for the life of me get it started on the threads in the aluminum housing. The threads do not look boogered. Cannot explain this one.

I'm preparing to give up on this pump. And this is perhaps the reason that the seller told me it needed a new injection pump. Bummer, because actually it looked like the internals were in ok shape. I want to thank everyone who responded to this thread.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:45:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,518 Posts

Sounds like bad aftermarket parts. Turn it in for a core & get one that works...
Smokstak member #442
Old 05-07-2018, 07:27:53 AM
Registered-I

Don't give up yet Joe. The head should not be so tight in the housing. Perhaps you have a faulty O Ring. With a little grease smeared on the housing you should be able to push the head in by hand. Remove the head and then try assembling without the o Ring. Screw in the lower advance stud first and then the other two should be in line. It is not uncommon for new blades to be a little tight. Install the liner in the head and then fit the blades. If they are too tight I would rub them down slightly on some very fine emery cloth on a sheet of glass. The transfer pump rotor should not bind when the end plate is tightened. It could be that pressing the head into the housing has forced the rotor against the end plate. Assemble the transfer pump with the head out of the pump. No force should be used in assembling the pump and it should rotate freely. A very slight binding of the blades is permissible when turning the pump slowly but with a brisk spin it should feel free. Wet all parts with fuel when assembling.
Hugh