Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

Atlas Diesel Found in old Connecticut Factory

this thread has 293 replies and has been viewed 71046 times

Old 09-14-2012, 05:23:07 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Atlas Diesel Found in old Connecticut Factory

I'll second JB's recommendation. George is your man. Very knowledgeable about these beast.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2012, 09:53:30 PM
Registered-III

Yes it can !!...I have a 25 ton American and 2 months ago I was in a similar situation as you; except, I was the truck driver, rigger and the crane man. I was loading a 10 ton Kahlenberg 4 cyl diesel on my trailer. Just like you, the boom brake started slipping. Thus the load started swinging out away from the crane....I threw the boom lock in but everything has started happening and the thing is going to swing over the trailer and smash into my truck. With a Quick push on the swing leaver, I saved the truck; However, the engine swung to the side and before I could kill the load the boom buckled and the whole mess fell into a pile of cable and tube...Live and learn. There was not much damage to anything but my pride. Four links of tubing and some angle iron and some brake work. plus about 80 manhours and "Brutus" is picking again.(owning a crane is not always nice) Thank goodness it was my own stuff !!
Forbes
The Following User Says Thank You to t6299fm For This Post:
Old 09-17-2012, 03:09:54 PM
Registered-II

What a beauty! I'm glad this is going to a good home to run another day (or ten thousand). Thanks to everyone involved for saving it, especially to the owners who were far-sighted enough to consider preservation. I wish more people were like that!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tirediron For This Post:
Old 09-25-2012, 04:17:46 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,340 Times in 2,350 Posts

Yep, it's NEVER a good day when you or someone else turns a crane over....saw that happen a few years ago at my old job. Fellow came in one Monday morning, and we asked him to move a tank for us. The crane was parked in the same spot it had been the previous Friday....but that Saturday another mechanic had moved it and used it in another spot-parked it back where he got it...mechanic on Monday wasn't thinking and forgot to check if his outriggers were out....they weren't! He just boomed out about 100' and over it went! Luckily the mechanics standing by the tank to do the rigging saw cables flying everywhere and headed for the hills before they could get hurt-the plastic tank, for whatever reason didn't have the sense enough to move and avoid getting hurt ...tore the bottom off of it and we had to wind up replacing it instead of repairing it. Just lucky everyone else scattered! My boss put me in charge of watching the proceedings and keeping folks off the road and out of the way while two rental cranes came in and lifted the dead crane up. (Of course it was pouring raining while this happened!) To add insult to injury, the crane that was tore up was one the company had rented, and did $40,000 worth of damage to...ouch!

BTW Ed, a really nice engine! Glad the owners are willing to work with your organization and save it. All too often nowadays all folks see are the dollars the scrap man will offer for it, and they just want it cleared away ASAP!

Mike M
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24:14 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 4,873 Times in 948 Posts

Just a heads up to those following this thread. We are loaded up and heading for the Atlas Engine site in Conn. Saturday morning and I will be posting new pics as soon as Sat. Night. First step is a complete photographic survey of the engine as it sits today so we can record how everything goes together. We will then start dismantling the outside parts such as the radiator, starting engine, staks etc. It will probably take several trips till the engine is stripped and ready to be lifted up through the roof and onto a trailer later this month. This is always the best part of the hunt when you finally get started on the move. Ed B.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:08:13 PM
In Memory Of

As promised it is time for an update on this thread. Today a crew met at the old factory to begin to get the Atlas engine ready to move to our showgrounds later this month. We drought plenty of tools and a generator with lights. The place was piled high with various debris which the crew quickly dispached. The pictures that follow show the gradual deconstruction of the engine and all its parts and extensive plumbing. The engine was completely surrounded with wooden platforms which were not built in any professional way. They were all eash to pull out of the way as soon as they were no longer needed in the job.
Pic. 1 This is a full view of this beautiful old Factory in CT
Pic. 2 This is a closeup of the engine tag showing the serial No. but no other info on speed Etc.
Pic. 3 This is our happy crew after finishing up for the day. It took 3 hours to get the engine ready to be jacked up in Prep. for lifting out through the roof. For all us rust hounds it doesn't get any better than this.
Pic. 4 This is the engineers chair in the position he left it when he shut the door in 1948.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas Diesel Recovery.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	151564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas Diesel Recovery-002.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	151565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas Diesel Recovery-009.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	151566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas Diesel Recovery-046.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	151567  

Old 12-08-2012, 10:21:49 PM
In Memory Of

This set of pictures shows the deconstruction over a period of 3 hours.
Pic. 1 This shows the main drive shaft overhead that led into the main work floor. It drove 10-14 button machines at once on two levels of the factory. The beautiful radiator can be seen in the rear. We will remove the wall behind the radiator and remove it, the main drive pulley-clutch shaft and air starting motor out through the opening with a loader. We will then rebuild the wall back in place.
Pic.2 shows member dave Chester unbolting the 4 exhaust pipe flanges and pipes that go through the roof above.
Pic. 3 View of the Ex. flange and welded on pipe going up.
Pic. 4 This is a view across the top of the engine showing the twin oil bath aircleaners that hang down over the 2 intake pipes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Atlas Diesel Recovery-045.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	151568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas Diesel Recovery-043.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	151569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas Diesel Recovery-042.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	151570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas Diesel Recovery-040.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	151571  

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ed Bezanson For This Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 10:34:55 PM
In Memory Of

Here are 4 more pictures of the deconstruction of the Atlas.
Pic. 1 This shot shows the rear end of the engine after most of the piping and wooden platforms have been removed
Pic.2 This is a good view of the Atlas starting engine showing dark green paint still intact.
Pic.3 Side view of engine after platforms have been removed. The engine sets on 2 concrete pillars and was held down by 4 5/8 bolts. We will jack it up and place 2 I-beams across that will be used to lift it out.
Pic. 4 We had to remove 8 large tapered bolts that connected the crankshaft to the drive pulley shaft. It is amazing that every bolt on the engine came out with no problems.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Atlas Diesel Recovery-027.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	151572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas Diesel Recovery-026.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	151573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas Diesel Recovery-021.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	151574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas Diesel Recovery-020.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	151575  

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ed Bezanson For This Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 10:47:32 PM
In Memory Of

This will be the last post till we go up to complete phase 2 of the removal.
Pic. 1 There is a large internal clutch that controls the load on the main power shaft.
Pic. 2 Art Chester is removing the main engine hold down bolts from the 4 corners of the engine.
Pic.3 Tapered bolts that connect the 2 main shafts have been removed so that the pulley and shaft can now be lifted out and away from the engine.
Last Pic. The engine is now ready to jack up in prepration for being pulled up through the roof. We may have to wait till the ground freezes up because it is still pretty soft around the building. We still are several weeks away from a hard freeze here in CT. A local crane co. Marino Crane Service from Middletown, CT has donated a crane and truck for the move to the Zagray farm museum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Atlas Diesel Recovery-019.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	151576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas Diesel Recovery-017.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	151577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas Diesel Recovery-015.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	151578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas Diesel Recovery-013.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	151579  

Old 12-09-2012, 02:05:34 PM
eMail NOT Working

Way To GO GUYS!!! Keep them Chesters turning Wrenches!

(keeps 'em out of trouble)