Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Chain Saw Collectors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Chain Saw Collectors Vintage chainsaws and other air cooled gas engine saws, collecting and restoring.

Chain Saw Collectors

Disston DO 100

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 5585 times

Old 03-08-2013, 09:56:44 PM
Registered-I

Default Disston DO 100

Old mercs.com? What the hell is brian's problem! I gave him $75 for a remaned carb 6 weeks ago. Now I can't get ahold of him. He doesn't answer the phone. Anyone know why??? This is kind of ridiculous. It doesn't take this long to mail something from colorado to Washington Have a good one Derek
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 12:11:22 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,025 Times in 804 Posts
Default Re: Disston DO 100

I am confused old mercs.com is based in PA, if you are referring to Brian at APSE outside of Denver, he has been out of the office this week. I needed to get ahold of him and he was gone. He has always been very good about getting things out, but sometimes with as much as he has and a one man show, it gets backed up. Shoot him an email or just keep trying the phone. Its frustrating but unfortunately sometimes life gets ahead of us.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:59:03 AM
Registered

Well Derek...

As Ryan pointed out I am a one man show, internet, phones, ebay, parts orders, mechanic, on the road for purchases of saws/parts, janitor, etc. I am aware after talking to your wife? that the first one shipped out seems to be missing through the virtues of the USPS. However, I have not had any messages or phone calls that I have not returned, and of course cell phones as we all know are perfect. The second fuel meter had to be rebuilt by me personally, as it wasn't available at the second window at the McDonalds drive thru. It is on the way to you as we speak.
Perhaps a phone number correction might help, 720-260-0157, my email is apse-llc@live.com. I hope that the fuel meter is the only problem with the failure riddled fuel system on the DO series of chainsaws from Mercury Disston.

Geez, I dunno, maybe the call was missed due to the blizzard we had last week?!?

BTW...Thank You, Big Gurn!

Brian
Old 03-09-2013, 10:48:15 AM
Registered-I

sorry about that. My wife said she called twice with no answer. I just wanted to know what's going on. I know it's hard to get parts and I don't trust the internet much. But without the internet that old disston my dad gave me years ago would still be sitting under the bench doing nothing. I hope to see a package soon. Thanks Derek.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:16:55 AM
Registered-III

Ive bought about $500 of parts from Brian, anything from one of a kind NOS Disston gasket kits to chain link repair kits. He's a man of his word. Its the mail system which is questionable. For example I live on Beech Place, there are 9 different Beech Place's in zipcode 11743, all spelled slightly different "Beach" "Beache", etc etc. When buying something I always give out the second 4 digit zipcode extension. It usually solves all of the USPS miss-delivery problems! Maybe that's the same issue you are having. Anyhow, I hope the issue gets resolved quickly!

Chris
Old 03-09-2013, 11:33:51 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by APSE View Post
I hope that the fuel meter is the only problem with the failure riddled fuel system on the DO series of chainsaws from Mercury Disston.
You mean my DO-101 isn't the top tier saw of all time? Besides the fact that the Stromberg-Bendix Mechanical Fuel Injection is complicated, prone to flooding the engine (easily avoided so long as you never try and start the saw), and hard to fine tune, not to mention makes what could have been a great engine way overly complicated, I thought it was a miracle system. I mean atleast ir runs right. (thanks for the parts for the fuel meter!) Oh and I nearly forgot, how about that scratcher chain (and that quality straddle chain to boot), talk about a great cutting set up! Then don't even get me started on the internal mechanical clutch and the slip friction spur drive on the chain! Yep, she's a real peach to operate! Enjoy:

Oh, I nearly forgot, make sure to check all the lines for the pressurized bar and chain lube system, small cracks in the lines or plugs and fittings that are loose or not sealed tend to cause issues with this other wise near perfect saw. Oh did I mention the saw floods easily? (I really do like mine, it's must a little complicated for the average Joe). Enjoy yours and remember to wear hearing protection! The oversized muffler seems to make a great amplifier.

Last edited by bigGURN; 03-09-2013 at 03:07:57 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 03-09-2013, 10:59:19 PM
Registered-I

I would be happy with that. That saw sounds great!!! Mine will run but it shoots fuel from the exaust. It runs better on a home made gravity feed drip but only till you pull the throttle then it floods and dies. I do think those saws are over engineered but if they run that's great. nice job! Derek Klein
Old 03-10-2013, 01:47:09 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvalleyboy64 View Post
Mine will run but it shoots fuel from the exaust. It runs better on a home made gravity feed drip but only till you pull the throttle then it floods and dies.
Yep, sounds like a Disston DO saw! Told you not to start it! Once the fuel meter is rebuilt it gets better... still if it doesn't start on the first or second pull, it's flooded, so pull the plug. If I was going to spend any time running mine, I'd place a fuel shut off valve between the fuel pump and the strainer so that I could turn off the fuel while I started the saw. If I get ambitious I may do that just so I can start it when the wife comes up with honey do's...."what's that sorry, can't here you and it's going to be atleast 15 more minutes before I cut through this log"
The Following User Says Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 03-13-2013, 10:21:33 PM
Registered-I

Ok got my new fuel meter on. The saw flooded after running for about 5 seconds. I was wondering about the fuel lines one goes to the fuel pump, the other goes to the fuel meter. I'm not sure what fell apart in the fuel tank. It was part of the line that goes to the fuel meter. something sticking in the tank like a one way valve or a filter??? I was wondering if anyone knows what that thing is or what it does. Thanks Derek
Old 03-13-2013, 10:36:58 PM
Registered-II

what about a bad fuel pump.i have never worked on a do-100 but if the fuel pump is leaking could gas be going directly into the crank case. i have had that happen with mikuni fuel pumps on the older polaris snowmobiles. the diaphram gets holes in it and crankcase vacume sucks fuel into the crankcase bypassing the carbs instantly flooded engine. just a thought. i can see one of these saws will never end up in my collection. these saws sound like the old remington bantem they were another saw that had fuel system problems but you could take off the old carb that was the problem and replace it with a tillotson hl carb then they ran .
The Following User Says Thank You to coyote62ny For This Post: