Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Chain Saw Collectors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Chain Saw Collectors Vintage chainsaws and other air cooled gas engine saws, collecting and restoring.

Chain Saw Collectors

Partner K12 Cutoff Saw

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 1750 times

Old 12-08-2016, 08:54:48 PM
Registered

Default Partner K12 Cutoff Saw

Hi,

Any ideas where to get a schematic? (I'd like to know the part names before asking for help.) My understanding is that the motor (which is the first order of business) is identical to the R12.

Pics included.

If anyone wouldn't mind explaining how the pull start assembly works, I sure would appreciate it. I really don't want to wrestle with that spring just to figure it out. (By the way, the pulley isn't engaging. The teeth appear in good enough condition. I'm guessing that there's supposed to be some sort of inward/outward movement inside the pull start assembly that isn't happening.)

Thank you. (Great site by the way.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161208_173911.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	269802   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161208_173932.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	269803   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161208_174100.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	269804   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161208_174030.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	269805  

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2016, 11:23:27 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Partner K12 Cutoff Saw

Addem, you tube is your buddy !, look up small engine recoil starter repair,had a free lawn mower with the same problem, you tube saved the day , might not be the same as yours , but will help a lot , the mower recoil by the way was filled with grease for some reason !
Wayne
The Following User Says Thank You to OrgWayne For This Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 11:44:54 AM
Registered-I

Google is also your friend.
Search for Partner K-12 Cutoff Saw repair manual.
Here's one result:
http://www.lacountyfirefighters.org/...hop_manual.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlieB For This Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 11:33:12 PM
Registered

Thanks, guys.

I've tried those options. That manual is for a (much) newer style. And, I don't know the part names to refine my search on Youtube.

I wonder if someone had the wise idea of shooting grease into that pulley. I was throwing around the idea of spraying some lube into there to see if it would help anything.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:50:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,669 Times in 1,625 Posts

Soak that thing with your favorite penetrant. It won't hurt a thing. Those saws create a lot of dust that can really gum up a mechanism like your recoil starter.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkologist For This Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 09:19:57 AM
Registered

Thanks! I'll give it a shot. (Pun intended.) Will update afterward.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:20:12 PM
Registered

Thank you, thank you, Junkologist! I sprayed it, let it sit while I washed my car, and it was working when I reassembled it immediately afterward.

Being able to crank the motor, I found that the piston seems to be striking the spark plug. I figured that the wrong one was installed. After cleaning it up a bit, I went to my local small motor shop to get the right one, and he pulled out a bigger one and told me that the one that's in there is as small as they come. He says that the problem can be massive carbon buildup or the compression is just so high that it feels like it's hitting something. (As an aside: the mechanics there seemed quite pleased to see the saw.)

I'll try to disassemble next week during lunch. Suggestions still welcome, especially that schematic!

---------- Post added at 07:20:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17:34 PM ----------

Edit: I haven't completely cranked the motor. I've only pulled it gently until I hit that resistance at the top. I know it was at the top because I watched the piston through the exhaust port.
The Following User Says Thank You to Addem For This Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 09:01:27 PM
Registered-II

Remove the spark plug and see if the engine makes a complete revolution. If not, you have other problems. If the engine turns over, reinstall the spark plug and try again. If the engine does not make a complete revolution, unscrew the spark plug a turn at a time until the engine turns over. Now measure he distance between the top of the cylinder head and the bottom of the plug body, including the sealing ring. This is the bare minimum amount the spark plug is too long.

It sounds like you have taken the exhaust off. If so rotate the crankshaft to bottom dead center. You should be able to see the top of the piston and whatever carbon is there through the exhaust ports. It is far more likely that the carbon is on the inside of the cylinder head, though, but if the engine turns over freely with the plug removed, carbon on the head is highly unlikely to be the problem.

And if the engine has been sitting for a long time, you may want to remove the carburetor and reed valve plate, if it has one, and make sure the lower end is well lubricated. Dry bearings can show their displeasure in strange ways.

What is this schematic you are looking for? The ignition system on this saw is probably a simple breaker points magneto. Schematically they are pretty much all alike. Find a Small Engines Service Manual or a Chain Saw Service Manual (published by Sams or Intertec or ???) and you should have what you need.
The Following User Says Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 12-11-2016, 10:40:30 AM
Registered

Hi S100, and thanks for the help.

I immediately pulled the plug, testing if it would complete the rotation, and it did. That's when I visited the shop. I'll check the plug as you suggest, but it's a really short plug and those guys said that it was the shortest that I could get.

I'll check that piston for carbon through exhaust port.

I'll lube the lower half. It's got to be metal to metal. The first time I rotated that flywheel, the metal to metal sound coming from that exhaust was like I've never heard. (Not that I'm a motor mechanic, but I've messed around with plenty.) I poured a bit of oil into there too. Is this something that disassembling and greasing would justify?

I'd like the schematic for problems like this. A simple check might have told me that the spark plug was correct, and I would have saved a trip to the shop. It's missing the choke lever; maybe I could use the part number to order a new one.

Is it possible that compression could be the resistance that I'm getting at the top of the stroke?

By the way, it turned into a pretty good looking saw with a little detergent and water.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:03:37 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,669 Times in 1,625 Posts

If you poured oil in through the exhaust port, that will boost your compression significantly at first by sealing the rings really well. If you poured a lot of oil in there, you could experience hydraulic lock since oil is not compressible like air is.

I would rotate the engine until the piston is at top dead center and try to screw the spark plug in with your fingers. You will know right away if it is hitting the piston when it won't go all the way in. If the plug goes all the way in, you have one of the two situations above.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkologist For This Post: