Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

Chrysler Dodge Diesel

this thread has 33 replies and has been viewed 9378 times

Old 01-01-2018, 01:47:27 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Chrysler Dodge Diesel

I know when the engine was introduced,in early 1939 and from SAE documents I know they were doing the final testing on them starting in mid 1938 and installed them in five trucks. It's clear they were focused in the truck market at first and they were offered in the Dodge 2-ton KLD line and the 3-ton TKD (a variety of wheelbases and configurations in each general group, as well as the "A" suffix models with a handy 2-speed rear axle. Been looking for the RAYMAN post at Old Marine Engine but haven't found him yet.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2018, 02:37:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,328 Times in 2,146 Posts

Sooty, give Dave a call at VPW. Maybe he has more data or can point you to someone who can help.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 03:26:07 PM
Registered-II

Maybe look for RAYMAN posts also on this site. He's been about on heavy equipment sites for years. I believe his name is Ray or Raymond Morey.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:23:58 AM
Registered-I

The injection pump on these engines was made by the "Ex-Celo-O" Corporation. They were unusual in that they used a swash plate. I have one of these pumps in my collection, but know nothing of the engine it came from. The pump is covered in a number of publications but does not appear to have been adopted by any other engine manufacturers.
Hugh
Old 01-03-2018, 08:50:42 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Power View Post
The injection pump on these engines was made by the "Ex-Celo-O" Corporation. They were unusual in that they used a swash plate. I have one of these pumps in my collection, but know nothing of the engine it came from. The pump is covered in a number of publications but does not appear to have been adopted by any other engine manufacturers.
Hugh

Hugh, do you mean the Ex-Cell-O KB pump or Ex-Cell-O pumps in general. They had a number of different types, as seen on Continental, Buda and some others. I don't have any specific apps for the KB and don't have time right now to look it all up, but I don't remember seeing that particular pump before. Their Type A pump was also a swash plate pump and the head section was similar to the KB but little else. I think the type A is one used on certain Budas used by the USN. I have a Navy diesel manual with a section on it.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:47:05 AM
Registered-I

Sooty, I was thinking Ex-Cell-O in general. I will check the name plate on the pump I have at the next opportunity. I did not know they were used on so many engines. Probably very few reached Australia.
Hugh
Old 01-04-2018, 09:10:28 AM
Registered-I

Hugh-

Well, they weren't anywhere near the biggest in the day, but they were a player. They were a big player in the machine tool industry and in aircraft components. Parts of the company appear to still be in business. And near to me, in Lima, Ohio.

Relating to the Dodge/Chrysler Industrial diesels,they used either a Ex-Cell-O Model B, Type KB or a Type KD . The KB pump and the KD pump were similar, with the KB designed for engines operated at variable load/rpms (automotive/marine) and the KD for stationary use.

Ex-Cell-O started in the injection biz in 1927, with a goal to develop a simple injection system. I have a little info on their Model A diesel pump in an old Navy manual. I can verify the A, and B pumps were available into 1948 but there is nothing about the Fuel Injection Division in a big corporate newsletter from '54 that listed all the corporate assets. They were big into gasoline fuel injection for light aircraft in the '40s. That's all the digging I have been able to do at this point.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sooty Jim For This Post:
Old 01-05-2018, 06:42:06 AM
Registered-I

Interesting history Sooty. I will back when I have looked at my pump.
Hugh
Old 01-05-2018, 09:07:42 AM
Registered-I

Thanks Hugh-

Also, many pre-WWII Budas and at least some of the wartime Budas had an Ex-Cell-O pump.

For some reason i like typing "Ex-Cell-O." I like saying it even more but my wife has ceased to appreciate my finding any excuse to include it into a sentence.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sooty Jim For This Post:
Old 01-05-2018, 04:59:57 PM
Registered-I

Well, the Dodge diesel story has shipped and is slated for the May issue of Diesel World. This was an exceedingly interesting story to do! Many thanks to Bob Taylor for his help.