Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Looking for inexpensive way to move heavy engine...

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 7192 times

Old 11-24-2009, 06:05:21 AM
Registered

Hi Guys
Just wondered if anyone had any innovative ideas?

Looking for simple inexpensive ways to move a heavy engine on transporter in and out of shed?

Trying to make life easy.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 07:03:22 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Looking For Simple Inexpensive Ways to Move That heavy engine on transporter in a

4 things: Ramp, Winch, Wheels And most important someone fit to wind the handle whilst you "guide" you precious toy
The Following User Says Thank You to E27N For This Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 03:44:47 PM

Thanked 6,760 Times in 4,297 Posts
Exclamation Re: Looking For Simple Inexpensive Ways to Move That heavy engine on transporter in a

Push the 'EASY' button.

All kidding aside, plenty of cribbing. blocks. GOOD planks (not the home despot type), lots of friends, and a GOOD remote control winch, are your helpers. Things that will work against you: Hurry, get it done fast, I can do it by myself attitude, I don't need you to tell me how to do it mentality. All of these can lead to a dropped or broken engine,, and possible serious injury. If the engine begins to fall, IN NO WAY should you put yourself in a position that the falling item can hit and injure you or someone else. LET IT FALL! once something begins to slip, momentum is going to take it, and it's not worth your life or a limb to save a piece of iron that may weigh tons. SAFETY first Proper cribbing, blocking, lifting and support, as well as lots of help will save you lots of hassle and pain in the long run. Yes, you can do it cheap, but above all be safe. Make sure what you are using can take the weight, and that the moving item is balanced properly, when you move it. When in doubt, move slowly, watch each movement carefully, at the first sign things arn't moving the way you like STOP, and see why. What ever you do, do not place yourself in a position where the load can hurt you, if it happens to slip and fall.

Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 04:24:24 PM
Registered

Wink Re: Looking For Simple Inexpensive Ways to Move That heavy engine on transporter in a

Hi James, i have found that if the wheels on the transport are greased up well most larger engines are easy enough to move around as long as the shed floor is concrete,if you have a hitch point in the shed a pull along winch is a cheap option for dragging engines into the shed, i have just mounted a 8000lb winch on my tandem trailer which will make life easier loading,cheers Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to David Nicolson For This Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 05:38:46 AM
Registered

Default Re: Looking For Simple Inexpensive Ways to Move That heavy engine on transporter in a

Hi, shifting my engines, mostly of the bigger kind, around the shed and yard is one of my problems. Anything in the shed, even my 4 tonne Hornsby is a breeze to shift - concrete floor sure helps. The boat winch also helps pull things into the shed when they are outside. Otherwise its a pain! I use a crow bar through the spokes to heave and puff 'em about a bit when outside. I can hear the purists and those with painted engines weep, but hey it does work. But I reckon a little tractor - say a fergie - with a stiff bar would be a good idea for shifting big engines on transporters around and a forklift for stationaries.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michaely For This Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 06:41:21 AM
Registered

Yes I Was Thinking Of A Winch In The Shed To Put It Back In As This Is The Hardest Part
Getting it out i can sort of get some momentum up on the concrete and that carries it out on to the gravel
were as getting it back in takes all my weight standing on one of the spokes and leaning back
Old 11-25-2009, 11:33:15 PM
Registered

May be the idea of a tractor is not too bad but what about a ride-on mower. They can be torquey things and with a tow hitch you can either drag it about or use a heavy pipe tube to push it with.
Cheers John.
ps. I will be in the new year using one of my hit n miss engines in a scale tractor to take to shows. Then all I would need is a big engine to drag about with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post:
Old 11-26-2009, 02:16:52 AM
Registered

Hi John
Thank you for the Ride on, idea
Love to see your hit n miss engines in a scale tractor
Old 11-26-2009, 05:50:46 PM
Registered

When I started out it was much more important to spend money on getting more engines. Soon you realise you are playing with your most valuable hunk of iron (that could well be worth more than a thousand dollars) with a two dollar strap attached to your 6 visits to the chiropractor at 50 bucks a hit! Mate save a few dollars and do it properly. In my opinion concrete floor is a must for ease of movement; you can not go past an engine crane on good quality hard rubber wheels. Many of my large engines are on tansports, the wheels are well oiled and I can move them on my own with out busting my pooper! I have used the ride on heaps of times for engines under 4hp
Russell
Old 11-26-2009, 07:10:14 PM
Registered

Thanked 4,979 Times in 1,066 Posts

I agree with Russell that you have to set things up right and don't skimp. All of my big engines are on wheels and for the smaller ones I have a selection of trolleys and a 3 tonne engine crane on wheels (it also helps when putting the big ones together).
Due to lack of space I have a container at a mates place where we have the joy of a forklift. Everything in the container is on wheels or on pallets. We have made extensions for the fork so that we can lift any of the engine transporters from the doorway of the container easily.
At home I have a nice area of concrete which makes even dragging engines sitting on the ground easy. I can load any of my engines on my own (although it is quicker with some help). My trailer was built especially to carry engines (and to fit in my narrow drive) and is extra heavy since I broke the back on the previous one. I have also now put heavier axles under it as one of the old axles let go (due to age).
I now have the heaviest hand winch on my trailer that you can buy after having one let go with my big Stover at the top of the ramps onto the trailer. Thankfully the engine was not harmed but quite a lot of my workshop was squashed. I am still 50/50 on electric winches; they make life easier but a hand winch allows you to feel when an engine gets caught on the ramps, trailer or other obstruction and stop pulling. I have seen the damage done to an engine transporter by an electric winch when the engine got stuck, not pretty.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:57:41 PM
Registered

Hi Patrick, I have two things that help. My ramps have 2" sides so that once the wheels are on the ramp they cant slip off the side. I also have an anchor point cemented in the shed and use a snatch block running a stout rope back to my trailer winch. Easy and safe. Cheers John
Old 12-06-2009, 05:56:35 PM
Registered

My shed and skillion roofed area are concrete floored, my lister J is mounted on skids. I move it around easily with a couple of lengths of 1-1/2in pipe.
The Following User Says Thank You to B. K. Lahey For This Post: