Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Help with 1901 5 HP Flyball Blackstone oil engine

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 7426 times

Old 09-04-2009, 12:54:19 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,252 Times in 355 Posts
Default Re: Help with 1901 5 HP Flyball Blackstone oil engine

I am only passing on what was explained to me. I didn't see the engine as it was in storage as the owner had just shifted house. There was no mention of the choke but as he said it was the same starting procedure as the hot bulb, which is what I outlined. I would think without a choke it may not start as easily, but the same procedure would still apply. He lives two hours away so I won't get another opportunity to see it for quite a while.
Merv.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2009, 01:15:44 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,252 Times in 355 Posts

Here is a pic of the Campbell hot tube and my 6 1/2 hp 1908 Blackstone.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Merv.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Merv C For This Post:
Old 09-07-2009, 07:34:08 AM
Registered

Hi Wayne. yes mate , I have the engine, I left the ribbon on his dining table at his home, he can at least come and get his engine back when he gets home. Cheers John
Old 09-22-2009, 07:54:55 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,935 Times in 430 Posts

Patrick, I got the engine out and running over this past weekend, wile in the sun I took a good look at the color and the blue that is on my engine is only on the cylinder, Seems that some time ago the cylinder got a crack and was removed and repaired and then painted that very soft baby blue. The rest of the engine in a nice rich deep green color.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:05:55 AM
Registered

Sounds like you got a real good buy there Mike. Would love to see any pics of it. And with all that known history, just perfect.
Cheers John
Old 12-18-2009, 06:57:32 AM
Registered

Hi I had one of these tube Ignition engines for 25 years,it was the oldest surviving Blackstone 5 hp same as yours,I think I last saw your engine down in Somerset England about ten years ago.Wayne said that I put in spacers to reduce the compression,Well I did not they were fitted when I bought it,I have heard of similar spacers fitted from new to a vertical hot bulb Blackstone,I used an ignition tube made from inconel,i found by experiment that it did not matter if the bore of the tube varied in diameter,it was the diameter of the hole in the threaded adaptor that the tube screwed into that was critical, but as I have sold the engine I cannot check the dimension,Wayne is correct in stating that they suffer from ignition knock,start with the tube red hot ,then reduce the temperature of the tube after say 20 mins ,for show running I only used 15 uk gallons of coolingwater this was convenient but should have been at least 50 gallons,I did not adjust the fuel supply but I know of a 3 hp tube engine where knock can be reduced by adjusting the fuel pump.Starting,the handle is lethal and these engines have a violent kickback,do NOT attempt to start the engine just by winding it with the handle against compression,my drill was to,set the decompressor lever to open,wind the engine hard with the handle ,quickly remove the handle,and THEN drop the decompressor,my engine had a new liner and had very good compression,I never managed to start it by bumping against compression,probably because the bore was new.My engine had at some time been converted to mag ignition and a vapouriser fitted around the exhaust,it was converted as it drove a carpenters shop and the insurers did not like the fire risk from the lamp,in this state it started and run very nicely,I borrowed a set of castings and made patterns and got it back to original,and when trying it out with tube ignition for the first time it fired immediately,kicked back and the massive forged handle got too close for comfort as it flew off the crank and just missed me. as the burner was missing I used a propane torch which can be easily be controlled.Your 5 hp in my opinion is probably the best and most original of all the surviving tube ignition Blackstones.Looking through all the above,the two articles I wrote in stationary magazine only covered hot bulb engines.If yoy want any more info email me on nmcburney@btinternet.com
Old 12-18-2009, 07:14:41 AM
Registered

Hi Again
forgot a couple of points,the fuel is kerosene,I used central heating oil,there is no choke,the amount of fuel sucked into the engine can be adjusted on the pump ram,but I foundthat under normal Uk weather conditions,I found a good setting on the pump and never adjusted it any more over a period of twenty years,I used top grade 20/50 motor oil, non synthetic,for the cylinder,cheap oil degrades as it mixes with the unburnt kero,and thick 140 sae straight gear oil on the crank bearings,
Old 12-18-2009, 11:44:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,063 Times in 561 Posts

Hi Lampstart,

Welcome to Smokstak.

Sorry I got that wrong about who put the spacers in. I seem to remember you telling me they were there to stop it from knocking or that without them it would knock.

Regards,

Wayne

www.bluefuel-whitesmoke.com
Old 01-16-2010, 07:49:29 AM
Registered

gday matt ...my john robson hot bulb injected , plus my mates 8hp blackstone run real good on jet a.1 ( jet aircraft fuel) they sell it too me at one of our small local aerodromes.... hope this helps ..nice engine!!!!!!!