Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Looking for parts - Hercules 1.5 HP 1925

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2263 times

Old 11-25-2009, 04:24:38 PM
Registered

Default Looking for parts - Hercules 1.5 HP 1925

Hi Everyone

Just joined up to Smokstak due to a foolish impulse buy of a fairly incomplete chunk of rust on eBay.

Others here have told me it's a Hercules 1.5 HP, about a 1925model, off a drag saw rig. It's on it's way to me in Adelaide from the seller in Albury, NSW & I hope to receive it tomorrow.

If anybody here has any spares to suit this engine, I'd be very pleased to hear from you. I've already firmed up with Alan in Naracoorte for a Wico EK magneto, but I'm going to need to source quite a few other vital components. I have some basic workshop equipment (lathe, drill press, welder etc) & think that some of the needed items can be manufactured. (??)

Also, any photo's of your complete engine would be appreciated. Quite frankly, I have zero knowledge/experience in this field & need as much help as might be offered.

Thanks

Flywheel
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2009, 04:30:44 PM
Registered

Default Re: Looking for parts - Hercules 1.5 HP 1925

Ah ! My photo didn't attach for some reason. Here goes again.

Flywheel
Old 11-25-2009, 06:23:45 PM
Registered

Flywheel, welcome to this great aussie section of smokstak,

Here is a link to photo posting instructions, read it carefully, it is simple to do.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40589

I Use the paper clip Icon up the top of the message box, once to find the pics and upload them, then click on the paper clip again to post them.

You can get just about anything for a Hercules at Hit n Miss http://www.hitnmiss.com/index.html they are a sponsor on smokstak, and will post stuff to us here in oz. usually comes in 7-14 days. Its a good time to buy as well with our $ up at the moment! once you get on their site click on the parts catalogue and hercules.

regards Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldsiron For This Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 09:08:56 PM
Registered

Hi Chris

Well, three attempts later & still no joy. I strongly suspect that Bill bloody Gates & his mates have something to do with it, having happily slipped me an unwanted update yesterday.

I posted a pic on the "Meet & Greet" thread yesterday, so there's a dodgy photo of it there.

Thanks for your welcome. I did check out the "Hit n Miss" site & see that they have a good selection. I was hoping to find some stuff here. Let's see what come up.

Have a good one

Flywheel.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:11:51 PM
Registered

Sorry, the pic is in the "Unidentified engines" thread.

Flywheel
Old 11-25-2009, 09:50:17 PM
Registered

here is Flywheel's pic
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	67921
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldsiron For This Post:
Old 11-27-2009, 04:17:10 PM
Registered

Well, the engine arrived at the office yesterday. We took it off the pallet & loaded into the back of my station wagon & it is now sitting on a work trolley in my garage.

I went over it carefully looking for any name plates or casting numbers. All I found was:-

1) The word SPARK stamped in the non drive side flywheel.

2) What looks like a casting number on the main body, just below the hopper on the same side. It is covered with rust/gunk & I didn't want to try remove anything without a proper clean, so I tried a rubbing with one of my daughter's colouring pencils. I think what shows is 2 22 25.

Could that be a date ? Would Hercules have changed the date each time they did a casting run?

Anyways, it's in a sad state, though I'm sure some of you have seen worse. Here's what I've noted is missing so far.

Big end bearing. Two nuts off one of the crankshaft bearing caps. One crankshaft oiler sheared off. The other two oilers have the screw-on covers missing. One oiler is bent. The two gears which work with the gear on the crankshaft. The drive rod (?) mechanism to the magneto & valve system. The magneto. The spark plug. Valve springs, retainer washer, split pins. (I'm guessing a bit there.) Fuel filler. Fuel tank. Drain cock. Lubricator. I'm sure there's other items missing, but I just don't know enough at this stage to note them

The magneto mounting bracket has been broken at some stage & brazed together. A real pity, but it will do.

Valves are rusted solid. I did manage to get the head off. I gave it about 4 hours with a penetrating sparay treatment every hour or so & the nuts came undone very easily. The head is quite badly corroded inside, with the valve stems looking like something off a WW1 sea bottom wreck. The cylinder is stuffed. Score marks about 1 mm deep in many places. A half handful of rust in the space between piston TDC & the cylinder head.

So, all in all, a lot of work, a lot of expense & a decision to be made.

Any comments, observations or jokes at my expense gladly received. I'll put up pictures somewhere over the weekend & will post a link.

Have a great weekend.

Flywheel
Old 11-27-2009, 11:03:48 PM
Registered

Flywheel, looks like you have got yourself a challange Email Mick on this address mickc782@hotmail.com, he had some herc stuff.
Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldsiron For This Post: