Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Ancient Westinghouse DC Motor

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 3525 times

Old 01-11-2003, 09:59:11 PM
Henry S. Prellwitz

Default Ancient Westinghouse DC Motor

Greetings; I have a couple of quick questions concerning this old Westinghouse DC motor. It was originally installed in the Carnegie Music Hall in Pittsburgh, PA in 1895, to power a lift mechanism that allowed the pipe organ console to rise up to stage level. The motor is 4 pole, 2 brushes at 90 degrees, one single winding in each field coil, and is supposed to run at 1200 RPM, at 110 VDC. The end of the armature is stamped "2 HP". The latest patent date on the ID plate is 1892. Does anyone know how to hook this motor up? Is it a series or shunt motor? I have no controller for it, and never found the original. I used to service the pipe organ there, at Carnegie, until they quit using it about 15 years ago. Is there any way a power supply could be built so this motor could run? Thank you!, from Pittsburgh, PA.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2003, 10:24:53 PM
EDS

Default Re: Ancient Westinghouse DC Motor

Henry, That is a beautiful motor. It may take you some time, but check out this web site on how to hook it up >www.tpub.com/neets/book5/18d.htm. It would not be difficult to convert 117 vac to dc but it may be best to also use a transformer. How many amps does it draw? From your answer, we cansize the diodes.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:23:32 AM
Franz

Given that it was originally designed to operate a lift mechanism, chances are it was series wired. That doesn't mean it cannot be wired in shunt configuration though. If you run it in series connection, it must have a load, or it will overspeed quickly, and may blow it's rotor apart. If you only want to run it for demonstration, it may well run on 12 or 24 volts DC from a battery or charger. DC starting boxes show up on Ebay all the time, so it shouldn't be hard to find one.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:28:13 PM
Patrick Traubert

According to my 1902 #5002 Westinghouse instruction book, you have a compound wound motor.

The outer terminal connections are used for the series circuit. The one terminal that has two wires running to it and the center conection are for the shunt circuit.

At 125VDC the motor would draw while running approximatly 12 amps.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:12:00 AM
Henry S. Prellwitz

Thanks to everyone concerning this old Westinghouse motor. Patrick, I cannot find but one winding in the field circuit --- and compound wound motors usually have 2 windings in the field? I think??? Maybe someone altered this motor, and rewound it with only one winding. I wanted to run it for demonstration only, without a load, and 12 VDC makes it go just fine! Again, thank you all -- this is a GREAT site, with loads of useful info.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:19:19 AM
Registered

Patrick,

Where were you able to find an instruction book from that long ago? I have a 1925 Westinghouse A.C. Generator and I have been looking for one but have had no luck.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:27:20 PM
Subscriber

Hello Henry,
Do you still have this motor? I may be able to help you.
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry S. Prellwitz View Post
Greetings; I have a couple of quick questions concerning this old Westinghouse DC motor. It was originally installed in the Carnegie Music Hall in Pittsburgh, PA in 1895, to power a lift mechanism that allowed the pipe organ console to rise up to stage level. The motor is 4 pole, 2 brushes at 90 degrees, one single winding in each field coil, and is supposed to run at 1200 RPM, at 110 VDC. The end of the armature is stamped "2 HP". The latest patent date on the ID plate is 1892. Does anyone know how to hook this motor up? Is it a series or shunt motor? I have no controller for it, and never found the original. I used to service the pipe organ there, at Carnegie, until they quit using it about 15 years ago. Is there any way a power supply could be built so this motor could run? Thank you!, from Pittsburgh, PA.