Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

4A032 Carb float or replacement carb

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 327 times

Old 03-05-2019, 02:14:48 PM
Registered

Default 4A032 Carb float or replacement carb

The 4A032 engines have always had carb issues when used with ethanol gas. Over the years, there have been various replacement floats and float mods done, but from what I've read, no replacements are still available. I have not seen any solutions poised in several years.

So, has anyone come up with an available replacement carb, or a brass replacement float for these engines?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2019, 04:49:39 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: 4A032 Carb float or replacement carb

All three of the little military engines use the same carburetor; the 1a08. 2a016 and the 4a032. The carbs are no where to be found and the military never had any individual parts made for them. They expected if there was a carb problem the whole unit would be changed out.
Some people on this site have coated the floats with gas tank sealer which I understand does work, but I would be afraid of the weight change. Best thing I have found is to run the engine totally out of gas by shutting the fuel off @ the tank every time you run. Been doing that with our 3 units and no problems yet with the floats.
Saturn used to have carbs, but I believe they are all gone and Saturn just is selling on e-bay now, not their store anymore.
Good luck.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:53:18 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltruck View Post
All three of the little military engines use the same carburetor; the 1a08. 2a016 and the 4a032. The carbs are no where to be found and the military never had any individual parts made for them. They expected if there was a carb problem the whole unit would be changed out.
Some people on this site have coated the floats with gas tank sealer which I understand does work, but I would be afraid of the weight change. Best thing I have found is to run the engine totally out of gas by shutting the fuel off @ the tank every time you run. Been doing that with our 3 units and no problems yet with the floats.
Saturn used to have carbs, but I believe they are all gone and Saturn just is selling on e-bay now, not their store anymore.
Good luck.
I'd seen that Saturn did not have carbs anymore, and I'm hesitant to just coat the float for the reason you stated. The more I've read, the more it seems like the best solution might be to simply replace the carb with a different one and work out the linkages. Thanks
Old 03-05-2019, 10:44:34 PM
Registered-III

try colemans surplus for a carb
Old 03-06-2019, 12:27:39 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Radtke View Post
try colemans surplus for a carb
Will do. thanks for the lead
Old 03-06-2019, 11:02:57 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,025 Times in 670 Posts

If you do find a carb from military surplus, it will most likely have the same plastic-coated foam float. Best bet is to find an old chainsaw or something with a Tillotson that has a metal float. I've been seeing some black plastic MD floats on fleaBay, may be for alcohol fuels, I dunno I'm interested to hear if anyone has used the black ones.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:11:40 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnucklehead View Post
If you do find a carb from military surplus, it will most likely have the same plastic-coated foam float. Best bet is to find an old chainsaw or something with a Tillotson that has a metal float. I've been seeing some black plastic MD floats on fleaBay, may be for alcohol fuels, I dunno I'm interested to hear if anyone has used the black ones.
I certainly don't want to get a replacement that has the same issue! I'm looking for a carb that someone has used sucessfully.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:47:24 AM
Registered-II

I have coated the float successfully.

I used model airplane Dope. I was made by Midwest products. It's getting harder and harder to find. I also have one coated in Redkote that I didn't get around to testing last year, hopefully this spring.

The weight added wasn't much, and I didn't notice any weird effects. I will note, that there are Brass floats out there in some carbs, my 4a032 on my MEP-016A has one, and I got it straight from Gov't Liquidation.