Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

DC Motor Question

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 720 times

Old 12-11-2018, 10:41:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,722 Times in 1,729 Posts
Default DC Motor Question

I have been contemplating building a electric garden tractor from parts for a long time . I want a hydrostatic transmisson and have 1 from a large cub cadet late model that was made to pull heavy stuff.
The old E8 and E 10 Electracs I have use a shunt stabilized dc motor. the deck motors are Pm motors.
Now,I don't understand alot of what that means.
The E8 and E 10 do not use a speed control on the motor, it is simply turned on or off. In my application I would be using the transmission for speed and direction.

I am thinking a 3 hp unit should work but am having trouble understanding shunt wound,shunt stabilized and so forth.

Can someone give me a bit of schooling? I would apprciate it.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2018, 11:51:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,430 Times in 1,862 Posts
Default Re: dc motor question

I'd check wikipedia for the shunt motor info. Myself I'd look into the DC motors and controllers used in the electric scooter field. Try http://tncscooters.com or even ebay for parts. I know tncscooters offers free download of data sheets for any of the controllers they sell.
Doc
Old 12-12-2018, 07:46:07 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: DC Motor Question

Being limited by the limited amount of electricity stored in the battery I would start by eliminating all unnecessary power drain and instead of a hydraulic transmission opt for controlling ground speed I would use PWM (pulse width modulation) on the motor. I believe that's how electric scooters and the like are operated. In PWM the power is electronically switched on and off in in varing rates to control speed and saving power.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:49:17 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,895 Times in 2,966 Posts
Default Re: DC Motor Question

I agree with Joe. Hydrostats are power hogs. The trade with them is that you have continually variable speed.

A PWM controller is the way to go. You might find what you want on Ebay. There are a lot of imports out there that should do the job.

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com