Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Water treatment, oxytrol

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2065 times

Old 06-10-2006, 04:49:25 PM
Registered-II

Question Water treatment, oxytrol

Our club owns a C & G Cooper corliss style engine we run for demonstration...no load. We are in Freeport, IL. You can see it here. http://www.steamengine.com.au/steam/engines/cooper/
We use Oxytrol FP 100 for an oxygen scavenger. I mixed some up this year for our automatic feed system and the Oxytrol settles out. What would cause this? What was mixed last year didn't do this. We use 1 cup for every 10 gallons of water. This is meter pumped into a feedwater tank as the feedwater is pumped into the boiler.

Thanks,
Eugene
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2006, 06:08:06 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Water treatment, oxytrol

We use and O scavenger awell im not sure of the name, will find out. we add some to the boiler at the start of the yr, and then some to roughtly each bunker full of water, it seems to not boil off and go with the steam in the engine but remains in the boiler and offten find the level higher after a run, when taking samples we find the blowdown to have a higher concentration then say at the top gauge cock but thats in a traction boiler that moves around. we considered circulating it with a fish tank type pump if the engine stands long
Old 06-11-2006, 01:40:39 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,919 Times in 1,935 Posts
Default Re: Water treatment, oxytrol

Quote:
We use Oxytrol FP 100 for an oxygen scavenger. I mixed some up this year for our automatic feed system and the Oxytrol settles out. What would cause this? What was mixed last year didn't do this. We use 1 cup for every 10 gallons of water. This is meter pumped into a feedwater tank as the feedwater is pumped into the boiler.
F12Mahon
Eugene
Is the Oxytrol FP sodium sulphite (santosite)? I remember having difficulty getting that to mix with water sometimes, so I'd place the powder in the bottom of a bucket, then using a hot water hose, hold the end firmly against the bottom of the bucket, and turn on the water . . . carefully throttling it. This caused the incoming water to form an inverted umbrella shape . . . roll & tumble, with excellent mixing qualities. Carefully pour the liquid into the chemical tank, and avoid letting any solids enter, as you can repeat the above procedure. (The chemical tank should have a mixer that runs constantly, as it usually does with 24-7 operation.)

I assume you're testing the boiler water for excess oxygen scavenger residual? It's not uncommon for industrial boilers of 150 lbs. pressure, operating 24-7, to maintain 30 to 50 ppm concentration.

In high pressure boilers operating at 500-600 lbs. pressure, it's not uncommon for them to use hydrazine, as it doesn't leave any solids in the boiler. Hydrazine will neutralize the corrosive effects of free oxygen. It combines with oxygen to form water and nitrogen, and therefore does not increase the concentration of solids in the boiler water. Some of the ammonia formed from the hydrazine is carried from the boiler with the steam, where it neutralizes the carbon dioxide, reducing corrosion in the condensate return lines. Hydrazine being alkaline and toxic, is best handled as a dilute solution.

Years ago when I was an Oiler-Watertender on the steamship Ralph Watson, the 1st engineer asked me what is the best deaerator? I couldn't answer that, and guessed the vacuum surge tank system or a deaerator itself! His answer: The suface condenser operating under a high vacuum, as the steam condensing to condensate releases all non-condensable gases, which is carried off by the air ejection system!

Gary K