eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > eBayŠ Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBayŠ Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBayŠ Auction Discussion

At What Point Do You Bid?

this thread has 43 replies and has been viewed 10735 times

Old 11-01-2013, 03:45:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: At What Point Do You Bid?

I know I'm a little late to the party here, but I thought I'd offer up my $.02 anyway...

There are a couple of ebay rules to live by, as far as I'm concerned.

1. Almost ALWAYS bid at the last possible moment and do so manually if it's an item you REALLY want to win (see exception below). Think about it: you're using the fact that the clock is running out to your advantage by giving other buyers less time to think and react with a higher bid. As with any bid, your last minute bid should never be more than you're willing to actually spend on the item, which means that there is no point to bid your maximum early and let it ride...why not take advantage of the ticking clock?

2. Don't trust the snipe software if you really want to win. It does not always work, trust me. I've lost items for far less money than I was willing to spend (and had put in the snipe software) because I'd put my faith in sniping programs instead of working on it myself. I guess you could say I'm pretty hardcore when it comes to ebay, so if an item I want ends in the middle of the night, I set an alarm clock and get out of bed to bid on it. Yes, seriously.

3. The ONLY reason to bid before the last possible moments is because you stumble across something that you wouldn't mind owning but don't just HAVE to own, in which case dropping in a reasonable bid and letting it ride makes sense. Just don't expect to win those items very often.

I would not recommend bidding early to potentially de-activate the high "buy it now" price on the listing. If you really want the item, it's almost always better in the end to actually do the buy it now. I don't recommend bidding early on buy it now listings because you can end up de-activating the buy it now option and actually run the price up on yourself. For example, I've seen plenty of auctions that end run up past what was originally posted as the buy it now price all because bidder #1 put a bid on the item that cancelled out the "buy it now" price. Don't be that guy!

So what do you do if you really cannot manually bid at the last minute? Bid as close to the end as you can, and put in your "crazy number" price and let it ride. You may not win, but remember to be willing to pay the price if you do!

And, for sellers, there's this:

The best day to end your listings is on Sunday and at a reasonable evening hour. Too early in the day and nobody is camped out at the computer yet. Too late and folks are headed to bed. This means that the best way to list your items for sale is to set up your auctions to start on Wednesday evening. When selling, always run a 10 day auction. Doing so gives you two weekends of exposure along with an entire business week. The added exposure is absolutely worth the price.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2013, 06:13:50 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: At What Point Do You Bid?

"If we catch our limit of fish on every trip, we wouldn't call it fishing" Part of an auction (even e-bay) is the journey, watch, bid, maybe even win. Enjoy yourself! Try to find a "buy it now" if you can, and the price is right, I may bid, but I wait until the item ends to place my max. bid. Good Luck and Happy Bidding!
Old 11-01-2013, 06:56:34 PM
Subscriber

I snipe, I like the " thrill of the kill" . I have also lost a few since I was out bid. Sniping is a gamble but it sometimes pays off. If you really want the item, bid high and you cannot be sniped unless someone bids higher, but be careful as I have seen that backfire too. Bid too high to beat everyone and someone catches on they can run you up in a short time, last 3 seconds is generally when I bid.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:26:54 PM
Registered-III

If you want to wait till the last 3 seconds of the auction, thats fine if the seller keeps it till the last day... some sellers remove the auction b 4 the 24 hrs,,, they end it if it does not reach there min bid.... some sellers use ebay just for free advertisement... they have no intention of keeping it on till the auction ends... they post there fone number.. if you are a bidder you can contac the seller.... soooooo dont play games and wait till the last sec to bid..
Old 11-02-2013, 02:11:42 PM
Subscriber

Even if you bid early, the seller can cancel the auction at any time. Given the cost of sale for the seller to be near 15% of total price AND shipping, can you blame them?

As to sniping, it protects you from the guy who is bored and can't sleep, and want to know how much you bid. He sits there at 3am in his bunny slippers and keeps upping your bid till he wins, then retracts his last bid. Scumbag? Sure. Still it is permitted.

Sniping is the best protection from paying more than necessary. Also, wins a lot of auctions from the guys who will overpay cuz they get caught up in auction fever.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:42:07 PM
Subscriber

Seems like the folks pulling the auctions are the ones playing the games. Never said it was a guarantee, all auctions are a game. At Live auctions you gotta have a poker face and you never know who has the deeper pockets, you hope you don't get in a biding war as a buyer. If you don't want snipers you can always do a buy it now and remove the suspense. I have seen items skyrocket in the last few seconds but you gotta have the nerve to let your auction run it's course. I have been pleased for the most part on auctions I have posted and had snipers run it up at the end, of course I am also prepared to not get what I think I should and hope for the best. Best of luck to all.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:34:46 AM
Registered-III

best thing to do... if you see something that you really want. bid your max amount , including the shipping fees and tax..thats it. no more bidding... just hope someone does not shill the auction for the seller. ( the sellers freind). then the shiller retracts his bid, that will make you the high bidder... when an auction is over. and you are the low bidder...the seller will contac you, and tell you the winning bidder has no money to pay. or some other excuse.... DONT buy... you are not obligated to buying.. I will bet, every one that bought on ebay, has been shilled atleast once, and you dont know it
Old 11-04-2013, 05:53:46 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine nut View Post
If you want to wait till the last 3 seconds of the auction, thats fine if the seller keeps it till the last day... some sellers remove the auction b 4 the 24 hrs,,, they end it if it does not reach there min bid.... some sellers use ebay just for free advertisement... they have no intention of keeping it on till the auction ends... they post there fone number.. if you are a bidder you can contac the seller.... soooooo dont play games and wait till the last sec to bid..
There is nothing you can do about this as a bidder. Getting your bid in early or doing it in the final seconds makes no difference...the seller is ALWAYS in control of the auction and can cancel bids at any point for basically any reason or could pull the plug on the entire auction. I would actually say that bidding at the last possible moment virtually eliminates the risk that the seller is going to pull the auction before you get a chance to bid.

Cancelling auctions early happens all the time, especially when it comes to cars, motorcycles, and the like. It's just like you said...they simply advertise on ebay and do the deal over the phone with a potential buyer calls and asks questions. It's against ebay policy, but is rampant and there really is very little that ebay can realistically do to control it.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:28:38 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine nut View Post
best thing to do... if you see something that you really want. bid your max amount , including the shipping fees and tax..thats it. no more bidding... just hope someone does not shill the auction for the seller. ( the sellers freind). then the shiller retracts his bid, that will make you the high bidder... when an auction is over. and you are the low bidder...the seller will contac you, and tell you the winning bidder has no money to pay. or some other excuse.... DONT buy... you are not obligated to buying.. I will bet, every one that bought on ebay, has been shilled atleast once, and you dont know it
I disagree with that approach being the best thing to do if the goal is to win, but to each his own. I've been using Ebay from the beginning and my approach works when winning the auction is the goal and, frankly, price is a secondary concern to simply getting the item.

Shill bidding happens all the time on ebay. It is far more difficult to detect and prove these days (when reporting or dealing with ebay as simply another bidder). It seems to just be a fact of life on ebay. Heck, it happens all the time at live auctions, too. You know, that guy that bids up every item but never actually buys anything? Yep, that's your shill bidder. Often time they are friends and relatives of the seller or unethical auctioneers.

Second chance offers aren't so bad either. Sometimes it's actually a pretty good deal when the winning bidder is a non paying bidder, shill or not. If it's a item you REALLY wanted and then lost, getting the second chance to buy at your underbid price can be great. And, like you said, as the underbidder you are not required to make the purchase, a nice out if you had a change of heart and don't really want the item anymore.

It should probably be said that my whole approach to ebay centers around actually winning the auction. In order for that to even remotely begin to make sense you have to understand that I don't bid on stuff just for fun. I'm very selective about what I bid on. When I bid it's serious business and I am in it to win the item, with the price being a secondary concern. Sure, I have my price limits as everyone does, but opportunities to buy the sorts of things I look for rarely come along so I take advantage of the opportunity to buy.

Maybe I take my ebay activity too seriously but to me it isn't a game. It's real money and it's a limited time opportunity to buy whatever is for sale. Of course I don't want to ever spend any more than I have to, but for me the whole point of being on ebay in the first place is not about saving money. It's about having the opportunity to buy whatever I'm interested in whenever it's listed.

I'm not going to sit here and say that I win 100% of the time. I don't. But I have won more than 90% of the auctions I've approached this way. I will tell you that of the ones I lost, the high bidder sniped every time.

You guys can all do whatever you want, but I'm going to bid within the last 10 seconds of the auction and probably beat you out.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:47:55 PM
Subscriber

My reasoning is.
I have to win this item, in which case I will be the last bidder at the highest bid. I have to baby sit the last half hour of the auction.
I do not do, any bidding until the last few minutes. If I did. I would just be wasting money. To many sellers have proxy bidders to run up the selling price, assuming someone will out bid the proxy bidder. In the last few minutes of an auction, only true bidders will be against each other. Its a gamble as to how close to the last second you can bid & be the winner.
Shane.