Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

Waukesha Engine information needed

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 452 times

Old 03-12-2019, 01:59:01 PM
Registered-II

Default Waukesha Engine information needed

Does anyone here have good information, or practical experience, on the Waukesha RB 6 cylinder engines? I am aware that this engine was built in early 1930's but when production stopped I do not know. If you have information on applications, numbers built, similarity to other series to share parts and etc. I would greatly appreciate that information. I do have an early Motor Repair manual that gives a few basic bits of information but not a lot. Drop a note if you can help.
Al
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2019, 02:27:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,814 Times in 728 Posts
Default Re: Waukesha Engine information needed

Attention Craig A...Did you ever get this Waukesha PDF thing figured out? I would be interested in some of this information also.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101480

Another place for information is the Waukesha Engine Historical Society. I have had recent contact with them on a different motor. Some engine information is archived and takes awhile to retrieve. Currently staffed by a very personable volunteer. Can be contacted here:

www.wehs.net

A 6RB176 fire truck engine on ebay...tag reads 1936 build date on this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fire-Truck-...sAAOSwIQdZMYnV
Old 03-13-2019, 01:55:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,228 Times in 959 Posts

I have an old undated page listing 6RB and 6RBR (also in your Motor) apparently from three catalogs listing:
Autocar, Available, Corbitt, Diamond T, Fageol, FWD, Grass-Premier, Guilder, Hahn, Hendrickson, Hug, LaFrance-Republic, Le Moon, Moreland, Oneida, Sterling, Walter, Ward LaFrance and WMC bus, too many models to list: I'm sure that's not a complete list...
WEHS can give you production dates and numbers; looks like into 5T to 15T models thru the 30"s into 40/41, but I only eyeballed a few that listed years...
A 36 catalog indicates it's own piston assembly...valves, guides, springs shared with 6AB, 6AL and 6HB... rod/main bearings shared with 6AB, 6HB and 6QB...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bud Tierney For This Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 11:37:03 AM
Registered-II

Bud, Thanks for your response. I have tried but to date I sure have a problem with the numbering system used by Waukesha for their wide variety of engines. I even have a hard time following the basic series of engines let alone all of the derivatives. I would like to learn more. The Waukesha site is good but I would need and interpreter to help me study and follow along.
Al
Old 03-14-2019, 02:45:41 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,228 Times in 959 Posts

There's a Waukesha production book---someone on this site had one several years ago---but they're apparently now considered proprietary, as WEHS will not sell copies...
One comes up occasionally on EBay or the other book sites---Abebooks, Amazon, AutoLit (if you care to spend the very most, but (sigh) they have stuff no one else has) etc...
Wauks a little odd---but not nuch---in their engine ID designations...like most, they started with A to Z, with a few 4-number and 6-numbers (cyl/hp) when transitioning to the 6-production...
Your 6RB (the correct designation) may/should? have a number following, which would be the works code for accessories (carb/ign, etc) on your particular engine, altho they may've sold an pff-the-shelf model with "standard" factory qaccessories they felt needed no special ID'ing...
They do seem to be a tangle at first; I don't follow modern engines, but believe they're just heavy industrial now...
Old 03-18-2019, 05:00:32 PM
Registered-II

Hello Bud, Thanks for your response and information.
Al