Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

Seagrave F6 T-Head

this thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 2391 times

Old 10-24-2016, 11:18:08 PM
Registered

Default Seagrave F6 T-Head

Hey guys,

Well after years of searching I finally joined the monster engine club... and brought home a Seagrave Type F6 T-head.

Before I turn a single wrench on this beast... I'd like to try and learn as much as possible about it. I purchased a re-print of the 1926 Seagrave owner's manual and have the "Seagrave Speedster Build" on the H.A.M.B. numerous times but still find information lacking. Any other sources of info?

I know Seagrave made changes to the engine over its production run as I have seen one with a bronze crankcase, and several parts on my engine don't match photos of any other I have seen.

I've also heard that Seagrave can provide information some information if you have the number on the engine data plate... is that true?

My engine looks to be in great shape and is not stuck... but I'll need a magneto and a few small parts. Are there any vendors out there that might have parts?

Thanks in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chase392 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2016, 08:35:51 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Seagrave F6 T-Head

Did you get a starter and generator with your new found treasure? I have a mid teens Wisconsin 727 CID 4 cylinder "T" head engine out of a Seagrave truck. I am trying to locate a starter and drive for it. I think my engine should have a Westinghouse or Leese Neville unit. Can you post a picture of your engine?
Al
Old 10-25-2016, 09:43:12 PM
Registered

Alan,

Here is a couple pictures of my starter... I can't see any tags on it but I still need to unload the trailer.

The generator that came with my engine is a 12v Delco-Remy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	266517   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	266518  
Old 10-25-2016, 09:46:31 PM
Registered-II

That gear reduction starter is very similar to what I need with my Wisconsin engine. One d9ifference is my starter should be square and mount flat. Keep you eyes open for me.....
Old 10-26-2016, 10:54:09 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D. View Post
That gear reduction starter is very similar to what I need with my Wisconsin engine. One d9ifference is my starter should be square and mount flat. Keep you eyes open for me.....
Will do, but I'm not sure how much luck I'll have in Texas... I had to drive halfway across the country to find this engine. All the goodies are up North.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:13:20 AM
Registered-II

I have heard that a big antique fire truck club/collector group is in the Houston area? Are you familiar with them?
Al
Old 10-27-2016, 12:26:36 PM
Sponsor

Good morning,
I have the same starter & drive on my 23 Seagraves, the Delco number is SM1037. I would highly recommend that you remove the starter and inspect the gears in the reduction box. The box is supposed to have gear oil in it and it seems that after talking with the gentlemen at the LA County Fire Museum that a lot of them seemed to run short on oil and the gears are in bad shape. I found that mine was worn to the point of unusable. I made a new gear and had the starter motor rebuilt.
The folks at LAFM stated they they are also short gears.
I have a picture of the gears.. just can not get the smart phone to let go of it.
I know that my truck has the incorrect carb, I would be interested in seeing what is on your engine Chase.

Matt
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Montague For This Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 01:32:49 PM
Sponsor

This is what I had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seagrave gear.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	266666  
Old 10-27-2016, 09:40:37 PM
Subscriber

The Carburator Shop lists a Stromberg M-5 for all Seagraves from 1919 to 1924. That doesn't mean there aren't variations in linkage, etc. but that is your carb. Do a google search for them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Hamilton For This Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 10:26:40 PM
Registered-II

Matt, Do you know of a spare Delco starter on a shelve somewhere? I could sure use a starter on my Wisconsin! I would even build some kind of adapter if needed to work properly. You gear was in fact worn out and good job with locating or cutting a new gear. How is the rest of the drive for wear? bushings, case, and ect.
Alan
Old 10-27-2016, 11:18:06 PM
Registered

Quote:
I have heard that a big antique fire truck club/collector group is in the Houston area? Are you familiar with them?
Al
Alan,

If there is a big antique fire truck club here in Houston, I've never heard of them... but I would sure like to meet them.

Although I fear they would not be overly enthused about my project. My T-head is not going in a fire truck... in fact... this engine has not been in a fire truck since the early 30's....

---------- Post added at 10:18:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Montague View Post
Good morning,

I know that my truck has the incorrect carb, I would be interested in seeing what is on your engine Chase.

Matt

Matt,

I got a Schebler Model S, 2 Vert, SX 410 carb with my engine. I have no idea how to decipher what all that means.

No idea if its original or correct, but it does have a 2" bore.

I have two intakes... both are broken. And my exhaust manifold is broken too. I'm not too worried about that though... I was going to make new ones anyway.

Can you tell me what kind of Magneto your engine has? Is it a Splitdorf?

The seller gave me an incomplete Bosch mag with the engine... it says Bosch ZR6 ED-1 T.P16 on the side. It is missing the "cap" and the guts inside the magnet. It is little more than the base and the magnet.

Oddly enough... even though I know it was an option, my engine is the only Seagrave I have ever seen that is not set up for a dual plug mag. It has two plugs in the center of the head and none in the valve caps. I'm really hoping to covert it to 3 plugs.

When I get everything off of the trailer and mocked up again, I will post some pics... I have quite a few other goodies besides the engine for this little project
Old 10-28-2016, 12:11:14 PM
Sponsor

Alan,
I made the blank and sent it to a friend who has a hobb for the tooth cutting, The key way is a 7/32 wide woodruff which is a odd size. My choice was to resize a broach by grinding the sides or to have a friend use his wire EDM to cut it. The EDM was much less money and time. I have made new bushings for the box and the remainder is in good condition.
The folks at LAFM told me that the springs are often broken or bent due to backfires. These seem to be OK.
I am afraid that I currently do not know of any starters, I will however keep a eye open for one.
Chase,
I am not certain when or how the third plug came along. My engine has two.
I am not currently next to the truck but I sure think that it has a ZR-6 on it. I would sure think that you should not have a lot of problem finding a ZR-6 that is complete.
Here is a good bit of info, http://www.oldcroak.com/zr4-zr6-later-edition

Matt

---------- Post added at 11:11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09:07 AM ----------

John,
Thank You, I went to the shelf and found a M-5. Looks like no linkage problems.
How weird is that!
Matt
Old 11-03-2016, 09:38:31 AM
Registered-II

Any new developments on the Seagrave Speedster project? Do you have any pictures of the engine and your other parts used in your build? What chassis do you plan to use? Do you have a trans-axle? How about steering, shifter, radiator and etc?
Al
Old 11-03-2016, 08:53:55 PM
Registered

Quote:
Any new developments on the Seagrave Speedster project? Do you have any pictures of the engine and your other parts used in your build? What chassis do you plan to use? Do you have a trans-axle? How about steering, shifter, radiator and etc?
Al
Alan,

No new pics just yet... I haven't had a chance to unload the trailer... been too busy with work.

I bought an entire package from a Brass Car Collector, he had been gathering parts for a speedster build for 25 years and decided he wouldn't be able to get to it.

I got the Seagrave F6 engine, two White 1.5 ton truck frames, the transaxle, shifter, handbrake, and pedals out of an American LaFrance front drive tractor, a RHD drive steering column out of White, front and rear axles wide enough to allow widening the frame to fit the Seagrave, seats, a copper fuel tank and tons of various other parts to help with the build.

There are still many things to find or fabricate... but I couldn't ask for a better starter "kit".
Old 11-05-2016, 10:59:06 AM
Registered-II

Sounds like you are well on your way. Post a few pictures when you can.
Al
Old 11-10-2016, 02:55:38 PM
Registered

I have a magneto and a generator for the 1925 F head. Both are fully original and will need to be cleaned up or rebuilt. I also have correct intake and an exhaust (2 Pc) manifolds, a Seagrave copper gas tank and a few other asst'd pieces. Jim Dent 859 575.4444
Old 11-21-2016, 09:21:23 PM
Registered-II

Hello Chase392, This is a note to let you know that I have sent along a private email with a couple of questions.
Al
Old 02-23-2019, 06:59:41 PM
Registered

I just bought two early Seagrave fire trucks with the F6 T head engines. One is absolutely complete and is the 24 sparkplug engine. The second is missing the carb and magneto and is the 18 sparkplug engine. Both have starters and transmissions. I have too many projects and need to move these. I will sell all or parts. One has cast spoke wheels and the other has discs. Let me know of your interests.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusted Nuts For This Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 10:11:52 PM
Registered-I

Hello,
I currently have two seagrave t head engines. Am always looking for more.
Would be interested in what you have and your asking price?
Thanks,
Marc
Old 03-13-2019, 04:32:26 PM
Registered

Would love to see what you got,I'm in Norco Ca And could come by when it's good for you..
Please call me 760-662-1881 Thanx JIM.

---------- Post added at 01:32:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27:54 PM ----------

My reply was for Rusted Nuts about the Seagrave fire trucks.
Call me 760-662-1881 Thanx JIM