Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

I went to check this truck out, what is it?

this thread has 85 replies and has been viewed 9213 times

Old 09-23-2017, 10:14:52 AM
Registered

Default Re: I went to check this truck out, what is it?

So I have went thru the two photos of the DC trucks that Heins posted and the blue, possible reo, that I posted and have found enough differences that possibly made these one at a time made to order trucks.
Some of these differences could have been added by the first owner ( fleet trucks) or added by the future owners but here is what I see.
1. The blue truck has an extended bumper and a place to stand on it. The vertical reservoir is for?
2. Handles on the front are for tilting or just a hand hold to clean windows ? The later DC truck has it mounted vertical.
3. The later DC truck has a little different light configuration and maker lights up high by the door hinges.
4. 3 vs.2 hinges on the doors.
5. The later DC truck has a curved ladder step vs. straight on the others
6. Front flat 4 piece window vs. curved 2 piece window.
7. The later DC cab has running lights up high on the rear of the cab.
8. The blue truck has added windows at the sleeper area on the cab sides and back.
9. The sheet metal sides of the cab, below the sleeper are all at different heights. Some show rivets at different elevations.
10. The later DC truck has fans in the cab.
11. On the two pictures of the cabs on the consecutive sn truck, the instrument layout and the switches and buttons on the dash are a different layout. To the right of the steering wheel, the layout is different. Above the emergency brake lever, on the left, there is some bigger controls for ?

Those are what I see now. I'm sure there are others but who knows when and where these items were added or changed.

If all 3 trucks were fleet DC trucks, I find it hard to imagine that one truck would get different windows, different lights, fans, etc.... the front glass on the blue truck confuses me because it was made in between the two DC trucks. It has a much different chassis number than the first DC truck with consecutive sn. Maybe those cabs sat in someone's warehouse for some time ever before IH set them on a frame.

---------- Post added at 10:14:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BcCoe View Post
Here is a picture of the center dog house with a rigged shifter handle sticking out of it. It goes to the rear where there is a another small tranny. In the other picture you can see the vertical shift lever ( where it goes horizontal, you see a grease zirc in the middle of the linkage). Definitely not stock. I have 7.3 powerstroke I could put in it if the old gasser is worn out. Now that I know where three of these trucks are, I think I could get most everything back to oem if I wanted to.
I just noticed that you can see the yellow stripe on the back of the cab from the original DC trucking paint scheme.
The Following User Says Thank You to BcCoe For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2017, 10:30:11 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,256 Times in 681 Posts

BC, the controls you are talking about are for the hoist for the grain bed. One engages the PTO in the transmission to run the hyd pump for the hoist and the other is to run the control valve to raise and lower the bed. They were added on when MT put the grain bed on the truck.

The yellow stripe you are talking about, is that on the REO? Do you think it was a DC freight truck?
Old 09-23-2017, 11:38:19 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heins View Post
BC, the controls you are talking about are for the hoist for the grain bed. One engages the PTO in the transmission to run the hyd pump for the hoist and the other is to run the control valve to raise and lower the bed. They were added on when MT put the grain bed on the truck.

The yellow stripe you are talking about, is that on the REO? Do you think it was a DC freight truck?
Go to post #58, and look at the back of the cab. I would say it is a DC
Old 09-25-2017, 06:20:51 PM
Registered

So I found another picture of a mid fifties DC truck. This one has rear corner glass on the sleeper. Whatever deal that IH made with Fageol to recab their trucks with sleepers was that you get whatever we have. So far 3 different sleeper cab window arrangement on the same truck. I am going to have to try and aquire that blue truck and find out if REO played any part in it. http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pi...c_custom04.jpg
Old 09-25-2017, 07:47:19 PM
Registered-III

I have been impressed with this thread and I want to thank everyone of you that commented! I have not seen a D-C truck since about 1961!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:39:58 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,849 Times in 3,030 Posts

BC, a few thoughts on some of those differences you noted. The large upright reservoir on the front bumper is an auxillary oil filter, likely a Lubrifiner brand. These were a common after market add on, but most are mounted behind the cab or on the fender by the cowl on a conventional. The fans on the dash are for helping keep the inside windshield fog free. Not usually supplied by the builders, most are driver installed. I believe the hand hold on the front was added to aid in washing the bugs off the windshield. The hole in the dog house for the shifter was likely enlarged at sometime for easier access to the shifting linkage, and yes that complicated linkage to the main trans is common on all COE trucks. The extra lever for the pto is someone's add on. The hole for them would have had a rubber bellows type seal that allowed the lever to move for shifting. As to weather Harvester or Twin Coach having any physical hand in those cab change overs, I rather think it may have been done in DC's shops. With the various parts supplied by the formers.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:14:59 PM
Subscriber

I looked at the shifting linkage for the main transmission on the Randolph truck (post #1) and it is under the cab mounted on the side of the frame. It reminded me of the linkage on a WD9 IH tractor I drove for a neighbor. It would work if you kept it oiled up.

BC, why don't you post a picture of the bus you e mailed me with the flat windshield That looks like the windshield in the REO.

Are the tops of the cabs in posts #,s 41 and 64 shaped different?

Last edited by Heins; 09-25-2017 at 11:28:03 PM. Reason: A a line
Old 09-26-2017, 05:29:00 AM
One Millionth Post

Yes, that windshield also reminded me of a bus coach unit. They either went to that because of cost or because that neat curved glass wasn't available anymore. The defrosters on the early trucks weren't much. with that large of a glass area I can see why someone added the extra fan, likely the driver only had a peep hole area to see out of without them. Our school busses had them back in the day, Even then the driver had to keep a towel handy for wiping with all those people on board fogging the place up! My old box cab F600 has a very similar trans linkage, have to keep it well lubricated or it gets to be a pain to find the gears.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:26:22 AM
Registered

Here is the bus with the flat glass. I also attached a picture of another fageol bus with less attractive flat glass, I guess you got to do what you got to do.

http://davidsclassiccars.com/interna...bover-bus.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1953fagio.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	292271   Click image for larger version

Name:	flat glass bus.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	292272  
Old 09-26-2017, 09:25:40 AM
Subscriber

Is that a REO bus?

When the owner of the blue truck finds the title or goes to the county clerk's office, he can find out what kind of truck it is.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:59:03 AM
Registered

So I have been doing some reading up on the International R series of big trucks. From what I've read, the r series was introduced in 1953. One of the models was the R-195 tiltocab. It had a red diamond 406 in it. My question is being that all of these DC freight trucks are international R-195 topped with the Fageol cab in 1955, would that make them the tiltocab. Were there 195's that were not a tilt cab? I read about the 185's and the 205's and seen pictures of them as conventionals but not sure about the 195"s in the first year of 1953?
Old 09-28-2017, 01:27:37 PM
Subscriber

Do you have a picture of an IH R-195 tiltocab? These with the Fageol cabs are't tilt cabs, I think.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:52:31 PM
Registered

https://www.flickr.com/photos/carhaul/4556036725/ I think this is one of them, at least the verbage associated with the picture says so.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:03:53 PM
Subscriber

The front wheels look like the ones on the Fageol trucks. I would like to see a closer picture of the wheels.

Last edited by Heins; 09-28-2017 at 07:04:42 PM. Reason: correct sp
Old 09-28-2017, 07:45:35 PM
One Millionth Post

The way I read that, they mention that Twin Coach was involved. I think it refers to the mechanism to tilt the original IHC cab. There's a lot of interesting stories in this cooperation between IHC and Fageol. This is all to me, I had never heard of that connection before.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:05:10 PM
Registered-III

I was looking in my International truck book and for 1953 it mentions the marketing agreement was reached between L. J. Fageol and IH. These vehicles would be sold through select IH dealers and would use IH engines and IH chassis.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Schwiebert For This Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 08:22:57 PM
Registered

So when The IH Emeryvilles were made, they were made in Emeryville,CA. Close to the bay area. The Fageols were made in Oakland, CA This probably came in real handy when your cabbing and recabbing trucks. If you need a measurement or a trial fit just hop in the car and go see for yourself.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:12:22 PM
Registered-III

That book said the tilt cab idea came from Diamond T and very few R-195 (and 205's) tilt cabs were built in 1953. It also mentioned that Fageol also built some vehicles that were adapted to deliver and sort mail between towns, must have been along the same line as the old RPO cars on trains.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Schwiebert For This Post:
Old 10-08-2017, 09:58:55 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schwiebert View Post
That book said the tilt cab idea came from Diamond T and very few R-195 (and 205's) tilt cabs were built in 1953. It also mentioned that Fageol also built some vehicles that were adapted to deliver and sort mail between towns, must have been along the same line as the old RPO cars on trains.
John, what IH book are you referencing?
Old 04-03-2018, 03:24:51 PM
Subscriber

John Schwiebert copied some pages on the Fagoel he sent me. I am posting two of them that explains the IH and DC Freight trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1371.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	307258   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1372.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	307259  
The Following User Says Thank You to Heins For This Post: