Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

Nash Quad Buda 4 cyl.?

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 11048 times

Old 05-23-2008, 01:16:13 AM
Registered-III

Default Nash Quad Buda 4 cyl.?

A friend of mine got this old chassis that was probably one of those ex-WW1 trucks turned over to local highway departments, unfortunately the guy who moved it yanked it out wuth a winch rather than jack it up first and it snapped the spring hangers loose. I think for what he could sell it for he might better get it operational and build his own body, but he'd like to stay original as much as possible if he does that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nashquadfront (2).jpg
Views:	922
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	34111   Click image for larger version

Name:	nashserialnumber.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	34112  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2008, 12:13:56 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,228 Times in 959 Posts
Default Re: Nash Quad Buda 4 cyl.?

If you're asking about the engine, what I have does show the Quads apparently all had Buda engines...
A 24 piston catalog lists Nash "Quad, 4018-2Ton" for 1920 with a Buda HU 41/4 bore, no stroke shown...
A 1930 McCord shows Nash Quad, 4cyl, "4017 2-21/2Ton chassis (no years) with a Buda HTU...
In the Buda section of the McCord it lists the HTU as 41/4 x 5, but doesn't list the HU...the HTU is lumped together with a couple other engines, but in the individual gasket list thereunder a couple are specified for the "HU".
Check the earlier thread herein re' Buda engine designations for comments; I believe some refer to open clutch and enclosed clutch types, but i didn't check back and've mislaid my notes.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:22:31 PM
Registered-III

Thanks! I had read somewhere (Dykes possibly?) that it was a 4 cyl. Buda, they must be about as rare as hen's teeth. I was hoping they used something more universal like Waukesha or Continental or the "Liberty" truck engine. But I realize they are just as rare now. Years ago I was contacted by a guy out in MT with a Liberty motor and I kick myself for not trying to arrange shipping, but I have enough paperweights around now I guess. I have to tell myself I need to fix what I have before latching onto anymore projects.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nashcontrols.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	34126  
Old 05-24-2008, 02:13:56 AM
Registered-III

Actually, the Buda HT/HTU was a fairly popular truck/tractor engine--not as popular as some of the Cont's or Wauks--but not nearly as rare as some of the old inline Wisconsins, Hinkleys or Stearns, not to mention a Hoyt-Clagwell...
A wealth of info is certainly available from the Nash Car Club members, which also includes Nash truck owners (the club will show up on Google).
By now I assume you've found the Buda engine thread on the Old Lugs And Cleats etc forum here.
The old Quads were considered quite advanced in their time; a bunch of hits (and a lot of pix) come up under "Nash Quad", including a site that says they were used by several Allied militarys (militaries? in WWI---quite a find!!.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:31:25 AM
Registered-III

Thanks! Yes I was reading the other threads, but around NY State I've never seen a 4 cyl. Buda in anything I can recall except maybe a cement mixer? I'm always looking for the big 4 cyl. Wisconsin/Waukesha/Continental engines or at least something that would work in a Linn. I knew a guy up in Champlain, NY, who told how his father was highway supt. when they got their first motorized road equipment, two surplus Nash Quads, he always laughed and told how the following year his father used them in a roadfill to a bridge abutment, to hold the bank. Never did tell me what bridge. About ten years ago a local old town barn had the creek wash out the bank in back, I was told there were Linn parts there but it was only a very rusty road grader frame and somekind of truck frame of ship channel but not Linn, "in hindsight" it could have been one of these surplus Quads, another thing in hindsight to kick myself for.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:34:20 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Nash Quad - 1920 NY Army Surplus

While looking up records of Linns in a neighboring county (Chenango) I found they were allotted 3 surplus army trucks, 1 "Heavy Aviation" 3 ton in Albany, a Pierce Arrow 2 ton and a Nash Quad 2 ton at Syracuse, NY, at the NY State Fairgrounds, in a letter from the NY Commissioner of Highways, and the Syracuse trucks had to be moved out ASAP as the fairgrounds needed the space. The Heavy Artillery truck was serial # 1114, NY license issued # 972-205, and cost $83.76 for shipping. The Pierce Arrow # 3630 license # 973-906 cost $68.74 and the Nash quad # 38991 license # 973-905 cost $78.62.
The total highway dept. fleet for Chenango County was then (DEc. 1, 1920) 1 steam shovel (Ball Engine Co. - by 1922 buying parts from Erie), 1 Buffalo Pitts roller, 1 Studebaker oiler, 1 sweeper, 1 Acme stone crusher and 50 ton bin, 1 Brockway dump truck, 4 Kelly Springfield 3-1/2 ton dump trucks, 1 heavy 3 ton aviation truck, 2 Pierce Arrow 2 ton with dump, 1 Pierce Arrow 3 ton no dump, 1 Nash Quad 2 ton no dump, 1 Linn tractor, 1 Huber gas tractor, 8 2 yard dump wagons, 3 Manney 4-wheel scrapers, 2 land plows and one pick plow. (Wood hydraulic dump bodies and hoists). This is the kind of fun stuff you can find by looking through old municipal records.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:02:52 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Nash Quad youtube video of one in TX

http://youtube.com/user/vintagepropnut

Am having trouble finding any restored examples of these, we may just repower it with something else and add our own body, seems pretty spartan anyways. No idea who the guy is but he did a nice job on these clips.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:00:55 PM
Registered-III

I got an email about this truck but can't reply because of a spam filter so will explain here, a scrapper hauled stuff out a few months ago so don't know if the Nash went for junk or not, I know the owner hadn't any luck trying to find parts or info., he was quite upset that it got the spring hangers broke when it was delivered to him and may have just gave up on it as he has been trying to clean out the excess before it all just gets stolen or vandalized anyways. I'm going up to see him next weekend and will check up on it.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:40:44 AM
Registered-II

If he still has it let me know and I can put him in touch with Ken Khafta from Pierce CO who just restored a Nash Quad.
Mike Miller jmikemiller13@yahoo.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Miller For This Post:
Old 03-29-2009, 01:43:57 PM

Thanked 20,599 Times in 5,961 Posts

The best I can do is nab this photo from the Aumann Auction site (a sponsor here) which shows a Nash Quad we had in the shop for some tuning up......

The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 04-02-2009, 09:17:48 AM
Registered-III

He still has it, I don't know where it stands at this point, have not talked with him lately but will soon.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:59:57 AM
Registered-II

I spoke with Ken and he says he can probably help with the broken spring hangers, but says the Buda HU engine is probably not going to be found. A local (Colorado) member of the ATHS has been looking for one for 20 years with no success. Does anyone know who currently owns the Nash Quad pitured above?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:54:07 AM
Subscriber

The motor transport museum in San Diego has a Nash Quad with the original engine. They have over a hundred early trucks. Check out there website for more info.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jed Clamp For This Post:
Old 09-07-2009, 10:30:21 PM
Registered-III

Well someone else bought them so I have avoided another project/lawn art. But I'll share the pic of the Page Detroit built Nash Quad using a Haynes built Buda engine. It has place for a starter but no teeth on the flywheel in this one. I like how they put "B" on the brake and "C" on the clutch pedal. I'm told this one was built in 1918 and may have been sold as brand new surplus, it was used by a man who relocated his family with it into the Adirondacks and ran a tourism business, and has sat in the brush for at least the last half century. (Now we can get back to looking for Linn stuff...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nashqdpedals.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	62424   Click image for larger version

Name:	wdgtenashquadrtside.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	62425  
Old 09-12-2009, 04:28:06 AM
Registered-II

Rene, was buda the only engine used in the nash quad? i was offered a 1918 nash a few months back as the owner has lost interest in it, he told me all it needs is the correct engine and a gearbox, which would be more or less impossible to find down here as apparently only 3 were imported to new zealand after ww1, i haven't seen it yet but hope to have a look when travelling at xmas time, mike.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:27:09 PM
Registered-III

Until now it was the only engine I knew of, but this second truck my friend found, while a Buda 4 cyl. in general design, is actually built by Haynes. I would say put a hood and body over it and use whatever will work, with an adapter plate or mounting brackets that can be removed without damaging original pieces, until you can import the proper parts. Static museum pieces don't need to be complete, usable equipment really could be fudged a bit if no one looks to close, not everyone (including me) will be able to tell that it doesn't belong under the hood of a Nash quad. What makes them less rare here is that surplus trucks were given away to towns and county highway departments for the cost of registering and licensing them, and that sometimes they still exist in junkyards, hedgerows, barnyards or half buried behind old highway garages, used in bridge fills, etc.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:48:59 AM
Registered-III

Haven't followed the old car builders much, but my older catalogs show Haynes with "own" engines (altho that's not always reliable as to the real engine builder).
I would assume USG contracts were let to other engine builders to build the Buda under license, as was done with the Liberty truck engine.
I'm surprised the HU/HTU is that rare; I ran across a scribbled (misfiled) list I made for someone from a couple catalogs (1930 McCord, 1924 pistons): looks like 50+ trucks and a dozen or more tractors used them, almost all the HTU, altho a few show both.
Almost all long gone names, but a few (Armleder, Dart truck and Dart tractor, Hendrickson, KW, Republic and Stewart) are more familiar names. One shows an unidentified Case tractor (1924 catalog, but I didn't try to verify) and shows the Massey-Harris #2 12-22 tractor. Trucks that showed capacity were mostly 2 to 31/2Ton, tractors (oddly) in low-medium ratings (12-20 to 14-25).When years stated ran 1915-23 (in the 24 catalog, which means probably used later) (no yrs stated in 1930 catalog).
Just out of curiosity, ran a fairly comprehensive (as to trucks) 36 catalog: HU/HTU only has two listings past 1924: 0ne 1925 and one 1930 (a Relay model).
Old 09-15-2009, 03:43:04 PM
Registered-III

Thanks for the info., I can't say much more about them with any knowledge. And I've about posted my photo limit.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:49:05 PM
Registered-III

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36418

So far the best threads all have posts from Bud Tierney in them, so I nominate him the Buda expert
Old 09-16-2009, 12:58:27 AM
Registered-III

Hey, if I qualify as an expert, anyone with a real Buda problem is in deep, deep trouble...
Seriously, I'm not sure I've ever seen one...
After years of collecting old-car paper and related paper (it was cheaper and took less space than real cars, and the wife was much happier) I got interested in the independent US engine makers and what-all their engines went into.
This was after I'd thinned my collection, and I find myself buying some of the same old catalogs I sold!!
Aside from a few random engine manuals, all my info comes from these various forums and the printed pages of parts catalogs, and the parts catalogs are often contradictory and always incomplete!!
But many thxx for the kind thoughts!! Bud