Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

Briggs and Stratton Model N That Smokes. What's the fix...

this thread has 34 replies and has been viewed 1553 times

Old 01-23-2018, 11:16:46 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Briggs and Stratton Model N That Smokes. What's the fix...

What Andy neglected to mention is that you should only use a rigid body hone for cleaning up the cylinder. Flex hones and ball hones have no place in a machine shop. Sunnen provides several manuals which discuss the type of stone, speed at which the hone should turn, and the period of oscillation. The use of a rigid body hone will show you exactly what is wrong with the cylinder in about five rotations. If your cylinder has a wave in it, expect to have your engine bored oversize. I only use honing oil when honing a cylinder. It is expensive, but you can filter the sediment out of it and re-use it again and again. If you are planning to get into the hobby of restoring and rebuilding antique engines, a good hone, bore gauges, telescoping gauges, and micrometers are a must. Anything else is simply guess work.

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2018, 02:48:15 PM
Registered-I

Chris... I finished honing the bore this morning with a spring-loaded, 3 bladed
stone type. I ended up removing about .0015 total from the bore, for whatever that's worth. After reading Andy's post yesterday, I had to go back and re-hone to get the 45 degree honing pattern, I wasn't even close...lol I'm not familiar with a solid body hone and don't know how much engine rebuilding I'll do, for now I'd just like a decent running motor for my David Bradley. This is good experience though, in case I decide to fix another one.

So... the re-honed cylinder looks good. I screwed up and let the valve lifters fall out without knowing which one goes where and as usual, luck wasn't on my side, they're not the same length. It's not a big deal to fix, just something to pay attention to next time when removing the cam.

I've also cleaned the motor, rinsed it with brake cleaner and applied a light coat of oil. I'm waiting now for the new piston and a couple of gaskets to show in the mail, then I'll put it all back together.

I'm switching away from Synthetic oil back to regular 30 weight and guess the next question is if there's any kind of break-in to do with the new piston.

And thanks again...
Old 01-23-2018, 03:25:48 PM
Registered-II

If you have an oval bore and use a spring loaded "deglazer", you will still have an oval bore when done. Putting round rings in an oval bore and you have.......

The object of boring a cylinder is to get a perfectly round hole, starting at the top and going all the way through to the bottom. Any missed low spots would require going the next step up and doing it again.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:56:51 PM
Registered-I

Looks like I got lucky. Measured the bore, then measured it again 90 degrees from the first measurement. Maybe .0002 difference between the two.
The Following User Says Thank You to R Davis For This Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 08:15:54 PM
Registered-I

Ok, it's time to put this thread to bed. The model N's back together and back on the David Bradley. The manual says any time you remove the head, when you replace it, bring all the bolts down to finger tight, then tighten each a 1/4 turn following their recommended sequence 'til they're all tight.

So that's what I did today, then fired the motor up. No smoke! Next, the manual says to let it run for 2 minutes, shut it down, then tighten the bolts another 1/4 turn. And that's where I've left it. I can't find anything on how to treat a motor that's been honed and had new piston and rings installed, except to start it, let it warm up, shut it off, let it cool completely off and do it all again, 3 or 4 times.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, lots of good information was shared here for the next person like myself who knows just enough about this stuff to be dangerous. Hopefully this thread will help make their rebuild go as easy as mine did. REALLY appreciate the help I got here!

Rich...
The Following User Says Thank You to R Davis For This Post: