Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Yellow dogs

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2794 times

Old 02-11-2008, 03:01:47 PM
Registered

Smile Yellow dogs

Can any of you tell me what yellow dogs were used for?Was it just for light or did it have some other specific use?Thanks Randy
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2008, 04:44:12 PM
Registered

Default Re: yellow dogs

They were used as a heater for babbit to pour bearings on old machines I have bought 3 dogs that still had babbit in them They didnt originate in the oil field they were used on whaling boats with whale oil they had a good bright light
Old 02-11-2008, 07:15:17 PM
Registered

The above post is right...they did originate during the whaling period of our history but the greatest use was for providing light in the first oil fields bordering Oil Creek and surround farm lands near Titusville, Pa. On occasion, they did serve as crucibles for melting lead and babbit and also to take the chill out of winter night air. Most prolific of makers was Oil Well Supply located in Pittsburgh, Pa. Early versions had screw in lids while the later ones made had a quick lock requiring only a partial turn to lock the lid. As with many oilers, the lids or filling hole closures were thrown away to expedite the filling and get away from the bother of putting the lid back on. The very first models had no lids at all and are believed to have been made in Erie, Pa. Some "yellow-dogs" were considerably smaller than the typical ones seen today but they are very rare. Expect to pay between $250 and $300 for a typical full sized yellow dog in good condition, signed and with the proper lid.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:41:27 PM
Registered

Thanks for the history,I've been looking at the repros because i have'nt found any originels.Thanks again Randy
Old 02-15-2008, 02:21:59 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Yellow dogs

There is a guy on e-bay that sells repros for 199 and I got one from him to use with the bessemer I gave away. Now I need to get another oil field engine to go with it. Anyway.... that guy on ebay was really nice to deal with and is a good seller. The yellow dog I got from him is nice too.