Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Antique Washing Machines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Washing Machines Old collectible washing machines as used on the farm.

Antique Washing Machines

Thor Electric Washer

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 242 times

Old 08-05-2018, 12:15:41 AM
Subscriber

Default Thor Electric Washer

Hello; My name is Mike England; I'm a safety consultant.
That's not why I'm here. It's about my hobby.
I am a member of the volunteer board of directors of a small organization called the Paulson Agriculture Museum of Argyle.
This is an amazing collection of mostly-agriculture-related artifacts left behind by Warren Paulson, a lifelong collector of everything from old tractors to walk-behind plows, seated plows, hog oilers, cast iron implement seats,. . . you name it.

There are about a dozen washing machines I have not looked at yet.

I started with the obvious; tractors, then the primitive engines, implement seats, etc.

Today, I happened to notice a really cool piece of cast-iron on the top of a washing machine.

It says Thor Electric Washer.

Is this something really common?
Really rare?

I seriously just want to paint this one piece - but what color or colors should I pain tit? Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3527.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	315654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3528.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	315655  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2018, 10:57:54 AM
Sponsor

Default Re: Thor Electric Washer

The man that paints that should face the Firing squad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russell Walker For This Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 11:11:08 AM
Subscriber

The Thor washing machines were made by the Hurley MFG. company in Chicago. That one I would say is from around 1910. It looks like a very nice original machine and it would be a shame to paint it IMO. They are not rare but I would say they are uncommon. One thing to keep in mind with old washing machines is there is virtually no collector market for them. There could be only a handful left in existence and it still would only bring a couple hundred bucks. I really like them, at engine shows they are crowd favorite.
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo For This Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 11:49:03 AM
Subscriber

Gentleman: I appreciate your input regarding painting.
I had thought it would have been painted some color originally.
Because this casting caught my eye, I'll look at this machine first I guess, when I get to washing machines.

Warren put together about a dozen or so washing machines - some with gas engines that are kick-started.
I really haven't looked at them except I was walking past and noticed this awesome cast iron piece.

Possibly I could take a couple pictures of each machine and post them here if you all would be interested in helping to identify each.

I'd like to have enough information to put a sign on each machine, but I'm trying to do that with hit-and-miss engines, walking plows, etc.
It's quite a hobby really. I think there's enough here to last me the rest of my life. I could be wrong.
Maybe I'll get it all documented in 3 - 5 years. I've been at it about a year so far.

At some point I have considered using one washing machine for a parts-washer - there is some type of washtub in the shop that has already been used for that.

the thing about the values is not a heart-breaker for us.
At PAMA, we have no budget for acquisitions, and we also have no interest in de-assessing anything.
Someday, it would be nice to be able to demonstrate 2 or 3 of them by taking them to an old tractor show or something.