Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters Antique lighting fixtures, bulbs, switches, meters and controls.

Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters

Kohler Light plant needed something to do

this thread has 56 replies and has been viewed 10350 times

Old 05-21-2015, 04:45:43 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,552 Times in 652 Posts
Default Re: Kohler Light plant needed something to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Robert, the house I'm living in right now was all wired in aluminum except for the two lighting circuits. I've removed every last inch of it, and it's all in a barrel, waiting to go to the scrapper. I'd be happy to give you some but I'm far away here in Kalifornia

Oh, and I too would love to have a complete fuse box. Most of the homes in my area were built after that era, unfortunately. Hence the aluminum wire. So I've yet to run across one.

Keith
Keith, You have a personal message.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2015, 08:50:19 AM
Subscriber

Fuse boxes do turn up. BTW The first fuse boxes were wood boxes. Some were lined with Asbestos sheet.

For space reasons I didn't go with a full fuse box but I did use the old fuse holders. They were designed to fuse both hot and common but I wired them to only fuse the hot.

Next time I am at a show I will get a better picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroads View Post
Been thinking about this post for bit, If anyone comes across some of the old Aluminum building wire I sure would love to get a piece if someone can run across some of it.

I am also hoping to salvage a working fuse box from a old house that is complete.

Robert
Aluminum wire is from the mid 60s and most homes that had it installed would have used circuit breakers A interesting bit of later electrical history.

Another wire saving concept is the Ring Circuit used in England.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_circuit
The hot and common leave the breaker panel, circle the house and return to the panel. They are fed from both ends.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:19:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,525 Times in 1,710 Posts

Frank, that was a very interesting article! I had heard of ring circuits, but was unaware of their use in that application. Pretty cool.

I once speced a ring circuit on a project, primarily for voltage regulation. It was a huge house, (like 7,000 some sq ft) and the owners wanted to surround the perimeter with lightning, that happened to be 24 volt DC.

The ring circuit helped ensure uniform output from all the lights. But in order to improve this still further by a factor of four, we speced two half sized 24 volt supplies instead of one large one, and installed three wire cable instead of two, such that a 24/48 volt three wire DC system was created. Each successive fixture would be on opposite lines, such that the load was then effectively 48 volt.

Keith

Oh, forgot- I'm working with Robert to ensure that he gets some aluminum cable for his collection. Anyone working to preserve a part of history- good or bad- is A-OK in my books!

Keith
Old 05-21-2015, 04:16:10 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Frank, that was a very interesting article! I had heard of ring circuits, but was unaware of their use in that application. Pretty cool.

I once speced a ring circuit on a project, primarily for voltage regulation. It was a huge house, (like 7,000 some sq ft) and the owners wanted to surround the perimeter with lightning, that happened to be 24 volt DC.

The ring circuit helped ensure uniform output from all the lights. But in order to improve this still further by a factor of four, we speced two half sized 24 volt supplies instead of one large one, and installed three wire cable instead of two, such that a 24/48 volt three wire DC system was created. Each successive fixture would be on opposite lines, such that the load was then effectively 48 volt.

Keith

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Oh, forgot- I'm working with Robert to ensure that he gets some aluminum cable for his collection. Anyone working to preserve a part of history- good or bad- is A-OK in my books!

Keith
Thank you Keith, I am very much interested in saving parts of history regardless if they are success or failures. I did manage to save a section of the cloth covered Romex not long ago. I friend demo'ed a couple of out buildings that had that old cloth covered stuff.

The nob and tube wire is something I would like to find. Not very much of it left though.

I think we had this stuff in one house in Upstate NY we lived in? I was only a kid so I do not remember very well.

Robert
Old 05-21-2015, 05:01:21 PM
Subscriber

Robert,

The cloth covered cable is extremely common here. This house had it (and still has it) for the lighting circuits in #14 copper. There's nothing wrong with it so long as it's undamaged, so I do not replace it. But I'm sure I have some laying around that I can add to your box of aluminum examples, in case it's different from the samples you have. This stuff is a rather pretty looking green color

Keith
Old 05-21-2015, 05:09:44 PM
Registered-III

Keith, This piece I have is old, dirty and falling apart. My friend lives on a farm and so the wire is in poor condition. If you have a couple of neat pieces those are most welcome.

Robert
Old 05-21-2015, 06:05:53 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
The nob and tube wire is something I would like to find. Not very much of it left though.

I think we had this stuff in one house in Upstate NY we lived in? I was only a kid so I do not remember very well.

Robert
I was given a full roll of new old stock cloth covered wire. I can send you what you need for Knob and Tube use. The knobs and tubes them selves are always on Ebay.

BTW do you want to buy this and sell me two sockets?
50+pc Vintage Ceramic Knob & Tube Wall Ceiling Light Fixture Sockets #245 +Bulbs http://r.ebay.com/2pSySb
Old 05-21-2015, 10:57:28 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeWitt View Post
I was given a full roll of new old stock cloth covered wire. I can send you what you need for Knob and Tube use. The knobs and tubes them selves are always on Ebay.

BTW do you want to buy this and sell me two sockets?
50+pc Vintage Ceramic Knob & Tube Wall Ceiling Light Fixture Sockets #245 +Bulbs http://r.ebay.com/2pSySb
Frank, I would be interested in some of the wire.

I can't say I am crazy about paying that price for the knob & Tube pieces. I would more than likely sell most of it to you if I did buy it.

Right now there is fuse box, Light Switch, And a couple of other knob & Tube pieces on Ebay.

I am mostly interested in just wire right now. The wire is small and easy to display.

I got a bunch of those glass line insulators and have found that I cannot display all of them since I bought up so many.

Robert
Old 05-22-2015, 10:48:40 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
I am mostly interested in just wire right now. The wire is small and easy to display.

Robert
A display of electrical wire over the years. I would like to see that.

I am looking for antique wood Wire Mold Actually wood molding designed to hold and cover two individual wires. It is described in the books on house wiring from the 20s

If anyone has a piece let me know

Old 05-22-2015, 12:03:13 PM
Registered-III

Frank, I can't say I have seen any of that molding. I do remember that wire well though. My dad always had a never ending colorful vocabulary for that stuff.

Do you know where Green NY is? We lived in a house in Green right next to the NYS&W railroad. That house was 100 years old and had fuses and cloth wire.

Robert
Old 05-22-2015, 01:59:38 PM
Subscriber

For the wire collectors

Old 05-22-2015, 02:12:44 PM
Registered-III

Thankyou Frank. It's nice to see the box and labels. Very rare stuff.

I bet someone has a original box of Aluminum wire someplace.

Robert
Old 05-22-2015, 02:57:26 PM
Subscriber

And if they do there is nothing they can do with it. I bet a supply house or electrician would be happy to get rid of it.

I once needed some new fixtures to repair the hanging lights in a cottage a relative loaned me. The twisted cloth wire was bare in a lot of places. They were old small (about 3 in) octagon boxes. I went to the nearest city and found the oldest electrical supply house and told them I needed 6 light sockets or outlets or blank plates (anything they had). the guy came back in about 20 min with 8. He said I will sell them to you for the last price we have listed but you have to buy them all. I garbed them and made the cottage safe.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:34:27 PM
Subscriber

Frank,

Wow, those are neat photos! I wonder if the company Wiremold that makes the same products out of metal or plastic today has their roots in wooden products? That's really cool!

Robert,

We have family visiting right now, so I won't have time to investigate the shipping and all until possibly next week. I did come across some green cloth Romex for you though

Keith
Old 05-22-2015, 06:52:57 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Frank,

Wow, those are neat photos! I wonder if the company Wiremold that makes the same products out of metal or plastic today has their roots in wooden products? That's really cool!

Robert,

We have family visiting right now, so I won't have time to investigate the shipping and all until possibly next week. I did come across some green cloth Romex for you though

Keith
Keith, No problem.

Robert
Old 06-03-2015, 10:57:10 PM
Registered-III

I restore nickelodeon pianos and sometimes find the wooden wiremold in them. I cant find any of it anywhere. But it can be made by a good woodworker.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:11:23 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,499 Times in 511 Posts

As a currently working electrician in the Midwest, I can assure you that there are plenty of these old fixtures, fuse boxes, and wiring still in use. I was just in an old asbestos lined wooden fuse box a month ago (still in use). And find plenty of knob and tube, some with wooden wire mold still doing it's job. A lot of town here are just now beginning to require inspections, if they have any at all. Plenty of turn of the century (and earlier) homes that we find were built with no lights, then retrofitted for gas lamps, then for knob and tube, and now for romex. It can be quite a nightmare. fused neutrals, California 3 ways (not the kinky kind), you name it. You guys would cry at the thought of what I have wrecked out and tossed. But even now there are whole towns full of it. I myself still have live runs of K&T in my own attic....
Old 06-04-2015, 02:06:51 PM
Subscriber

Smile Re: Kohler Light plant needed something to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1936JDB View Post
As a currently working electrician in the Midwest, I can assure you that there are plenty of these old fixtures, fuse boxes, and wiring still in use. But even now there are whole towns full of it. I myself still have live runs of K&T in my own attic....
It sounds like you have found a way to make a bit of money and make a lot of nuts like us happy.

Should I send a list of what I am looking for?
Old 06-04-2015, 02:48:29 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,499 Times in 511 Posts

I can't promise anything. But I could keep my eyes open. Honestly, a lot of it is still in service, and people want to keep it that way. We haven't done a complete tear out in awhile. Money is tight out here in the cornfield.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:49:46 PM
Subscriber

This is the big one I am looking for.
The outlet shows up once in a while, the plug, almost never.

The last time I saw one the guy was selling 5. I should have bought them all and sold 4 oh well.