Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

South Bend Lathe, Montgomery Wards Lathe

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 640 times

Old 04-14-2018, 03:42:59 PM
Registered-I

Default South Bend Lathe, Montgomery Wards Lathe

HI, Guy's I have a South Bend Model O serial number 8258 I'm look to restore or just get it running. If i do restore it what would the Color Be on this Model. Also looking for a Manual, Parts Manual. Is there a place in Minn. were i could get some good used parts??

I also have a Montgomery Wards Model 54TLC2130 Serial number 8081. I'm looking for All the for this Lathe also Manuals. A Chuck for it and the gear for the power feed and Bit holder. Also gears for changing the speed. What would the color be for this one. I can see that there is some decals on it if someone knows were it could get this i can not read then ??

Dad Has a LeBlond turning lathe the year is 1916 I don't have the serial number with we. We could use all the manuals for this one to

Any help would be Very helpful. We are looking for parts for all of these mostly tooling boring bar

Thank You
Rod in MN
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2018, 05:08:59 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: South Bend Lathe, Montgomery Wards Lathe

The site to remember for machinery manuals is vintagemachinery.org . Smokstak is a great site and a wonderful resource but it is not focused on archiving and providing manuals. This is not a stealth criticism, it's just not what this site does, and that's fine.

So when you go to Vintage Machinery, on the left side of the page one option is "Manufacturer's Index". Click on that to pick your manufacturer then when there select "publication reprints". I'll leave it up to you from that point on. Suffice to say, South Bend has 164 publications listed, Logan has 31, and Leblond has 38. You ought to find something to like in that mess.

As to parts, last I heard Logan Engineering is still in business so the gears for your lathe may be available. I have never priced parts from Logan so I may be wrong when I say, if they do have the parts be prepared to sell your other machinery and one or two of your kids to pay for them. That has been my experience with other makers. The first thing people ask when looking at a machine for sale is "how old is it?" and the second is "can I get parts for it?" Both are equally dumb. Age is of no consequence if a machine will do what you want it to do, and of no interest if it won't. As to parts, ask first, what "parts do I need?" then "how much will they cost?" And of course the old adage is usually true, "If ya gotta ask, you probably can't afford it".

But that's not the case here, you have the machines and have to go on from there. You are fortunate in that you have more than one lathe at your disposal. To replace the gears, figure out what you need (number of teeth, diametral pitch, pressure angle, width) then go to a standard gear catalog and find ones that can be modified (by you) to do what you want them to do. I've done this in the past and while it is a bit of fuss it is usually the cheapest (and often the ONLY) way to get what you need.

Your other alternative is craigslist or the infamous online auction site whose name shall not be uttered by me and search for what you need. But again be prepared to get up off some cash if you are not prepared to buy a clapped out or incomplete machine to harvest parts from. Many people buy good machines and part them out simply because they can make more selling a few parts and eventually scrapping the rest. This necessarily means that the parts, especially those which are commonly broken or missing, will fetch a high price. I'd put change gears high o that list.

You may find it makes more sense to sell your incomplete machine and buy another one that is ready to go, and is being offered for sale by a motivated seller.

---------- Post added at 05:08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03:42 PM ----------

Should have added, Monkey Wards = Logan.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s100 For This Post: