Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Blown head gaskets, what gives??

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2567 times

Old 05-16-2002, 10:57:12 PM
Mark Ilg

Default Blown head gaskets, what gives??

Hi engine guys I have a 1 1/2 hp T&M engine that I run once in a while and it keeps burning or blowing the head gasket. Not always in the same place, at different places. Should the gasket have some kind of metal laminated in it like modern auto head gaskets have? The gasket matl. I have been using is not of the laminated type. It is also a " hot head", no water circulating through-out What do you think guys thanks MARK,
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2002, 12:56:31 AM
Bill In Indiana

Default Re: Blown head gaskets, what gives??

No expert on T&M's here, but generally speaking I would first suspect that you have used gasket material that is too thin. Combine that with a slight un-eveness of the two mating surfaces and it might be causing "Blowouts". Thicker material would be more able to conform to an uneven mating surface.

I also have seen an old mechanics reference book recomend that you paint both sides of the gasket with varnish and then install it. Letting the engine set a while before running it to asure the varnish is dry. This was said to aid in sealing the joint securly. I am sure a more modern equivalent is available now. Just my thoughts....Bill In Indiana
Old 05-17-2002, 02:50:31 AM
Steve Gerot

Being it is a dry head it is possible it has been over tightened somewhere along the way and is warped. JUST ANOTHER THOUGHT.
Old 05-17-2002, 06:22:02 AM
Howard Weaver

I had a 12 hp. engine that kept blowing head gaskets. I tried thicker and thicker ones. I even had the cylinder and head planed smooth. No help. Finally a wise older man told me to use the thinnest one I could get away with. That was several years ago and it is still holding. Mine wasn't a hot head though. Howard Weaver
Old 05-17-2002, 07:59:01 AM
Joe Bures

Dear Mark; I have run across this before on different types of engines. Check to make sure that the timing is exactly correct, and the fuel mixture is not too lean. this can over heat the head and cylinder. I don't know if this applies to your engine but it's something to think about. I hope this has been a help to you. Joe...
Old 05-17-2002, 08:14:22 AM
Harvey Teal

Mark, email me your address & I'll send you some Teflon/Kevlar laminate material that should work. Harvey Teal
Old 05-17-2002, 08:41:10 AM
Bruce

I have good results by machineing one surface if possible(in this case the head) and then applying a thin coat of DevCon on the rough surface. Then put a thin coat of release agent (grease) on the machined surface. Put the head on reasonably tight and leave time for the Devcon to harden. Over nite is good. Then you have two surfaces that should be a perfect match. Only a thin gasket is nessary for a good seal.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:34:03 PM
Ed

You guys going for the thinner gaskets are right on the money. This is the weak link between the head and block and the thicker it is the weaker it gets. I would suspect uneven surfaces also. Good Luck-Ed