Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors Discussion on old marine engines, naptha, gas, oil or steam and vintage outboard motors.

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors

Pacific Pumper

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 617 times

Old 11-26-2017, 02:04:42 AM
Subscriber

Default Pacific Pumper

Hi.does anyone have any history on the pacific pumper.? any one have any catalogs or owners books to these??.Any help on these topics would be appricated.thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2017, 04:55:53 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,080 Times in 745 Posts
Default Re: pacific pumper

mostly a portable forest service pump and military used as well. they run heavy on the fuel/oil mix. here is a little information https://www.gasenginemagazine.com/ga...pacific-marine http://www.oldmarineengine.com/discu...ages/1/51.html. i was able to find the needed adaptors but mine doesnt have enough compression and the magneto needs some work
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Cardoza For This Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 02:52:05 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,860 Times in 3,811 Posts
Default Re: Pacific Pumper

I have several Pacific Pumps, both model N and NH. They were built in 1939 and 1941. The 41 unit was accepted by the USN. Both have upright 2 cylinder engines, one built by Evenrude, the other by Johnson. Both have the same specs - 9.9HP@6800RPM. 150PSI output, capable of 15 feet of lift. They both use a bronze gear driven screw type pump. Both also have foam eductors for using foam to fight gasoline fires. They will pump in the area of 50 to 70 GPM with a 3/4 smoothbore nozzle. Both engines are fitted with an exhaust dump valve, which bypasses the muffler and scavenger system. Supposedly, it ads 10% to engine power and pump output. I only tried it once. The engine did seem a bit more powerful, but the now open exhaust sure was LOUD! Both units use 2" hard suction intake and 11/2" discharge. For onboard use, soft 111/2" hose was also hooked to the exhaust port on the pumper base, so as exhaust fumes and pump cooling water could be discharged outside the compartment. early pumps had a valve on the engine water supply, so as to regulate engine cooling. Later NH units did not have this valve. Water was passed thru the cooling jacket, then into the muffler where the relatively cool water helped the engine scavenge the fuel/air into the cylinders. fuel/oil ratio is 8:1 (1 pint SAE 40 oil to 1 gallon gas, for first 5 hours (break in), then 12:1 (11/2 cups SAE 40 oil to 1 gallon gas) for running normally. On my units, point gap .018", plug gap .025 NEVER run these engines without water! Fuel consumptioin about 1 to 11/2 gallons / hour!

Pacific was in operation for many years. It was bought out, and all support for existing units has been dropped. I have not been able to find a parts source for these unique pumps. I do have a manual for I believe the NH, I will try and dig it out at a later date. In the meantime, if you have operating questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 11-27-2017, 04:06:51 AM
Subscriber

Hi ray.the engine is a Johnson outboard powerhead.k-50,k-65,k-70,k75,k80,kd-15 and ks-15 model Johnson outbords take the same piston and rings.the ignition is same as models I listed.I have few rings that u can put one on each piston to increase the compression.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:23:43 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,080 Times in 745 Posts

i havent torn into it yet to see what all might be needed, hopefully just stuck rings and a new set of condensor in the mag assembly.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:38:02 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Pacific Pumper

Hi Andrew.If you could can I see a picture of the N and the Nh pumps.I have bunch of these but I don't think I have those.im curious what it looks like.I have seven of them actually.I have two Ytypes.u can purchse them with a tank or with out.Theres a difference,by whre the starting tag is.There is two different type Y s.early and late.early has the gauge on the base and late is mounted on a plate off the powerhead.Mine are early.I have one Ny.same as a Y ,other than it has a cage around it.There is a early and late to these as well.And the gauge is mounted.Mine is early.I have two type n s.Both have differences.this has two powerheads back-to-back.I also have another n that is a single powerhead,bt opposed cyl.And also have a type 5-A-7,which is 5hp in line two cyclinder.Im realy nuts on the pacific pumpers!I think there neat

---------- Post added at 04:32:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26:20 AM ----------

Ray,If u need a ring don't be shy can email me @johnsonseahorse2@yahoo.com.Im nuts on pacific pumps.I also have 260 Johnson outboards in my collection as well.Im a aomci member and scribe to this site as well

---------- Post added at 04:38:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32:21 AM ----------

If you need a ring don't be afraid to email me johnsonseahorse2@yahoo.com.Im nuts about the pacific pumps I have 7 of them.I also have 260 antquie Johnson outboards in my collection as well.Im a aomci member and a subscriber here too. thanks jon