Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors Discussion on old marine engines, naptha, gas, oil or steam and vintage outboard motors.

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors

Strange Old Honda Outboard

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2766 times

Old 02-13-2014, 03:15:07 AM
Registered

Default Strange Old Honda Outboard

I have found part of a strange outboard at my local tip. It has the Honda name on the casting. The bottom part of the leg and prop is missing but has been in situ recently because the area in which it fits is clean. The engine is missing but would be an air-cooled horizontal shaft motor that drives via a rubber V-belt to a pulley and cross shaft in the top of the leg. A crude 'clutch' consists of a tensioner. The cross shaft has a roller chain sprocket, inside the leg, of a similar pitch to a pedal bike which must have driven a chain down to the prop shaft. The 'tiller' consists of a chrome 'wheel' with throttle lever like an old motorcycle choke, and the whole gizmo rotates around for steering and reverse.
I have trawled all over the net but can find no info on what it is or its vintage.
Any ideas welcomed!

regards, Smell of Diesel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda1.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	187801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda2.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	187802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda3.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	187803  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2014, 11:35:50 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,048 Times in 555 Posts
Default Re: Strange old Honda outboard

I was almost going to say it looked like part of a long tailed boat engine like they have in Thailand but it looks like the engine sat in the center of that round circle which would make the whole thing sit vertically. Im thinking it clampd on some sort of vat as a mixer of sorts rather than a boat engine as the boat engine was direct drive rather than belt.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:21:46 PM
Registered

Hi Motormower,
I hadn't thought of the mixer idea !
I am fairly convinced that it is an outboard as the whole head rotates around 360 and there is a short tiller handle with grip. The clamp resembles all small outboards, and has a tilt lock ratchet built in. I forgot to look if there was a serial number so will return today. I should have picked it up when I first saw it but had a really good scout around for the rest of it and was out of luck so didn't want more 'input' to the shed !
If I measure the motor mounting hole spacing I may get some idea of which Honda motor was originally fitted (roughly 200mm x 100mm from memory)
regards, Smell of Diesel
Old 02-13-2014, 09:24:51 PM
Registered-II

Hi,
i have one of these in my collection, they were made by honda and used their gp engines, they bolt on with wingnuts making them quick to fit and take off, i guess 1960s,i have talked to a guy that used one he reckons that you couldnt stop the belt slipping once it was wet, cheers,
Chester.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chester For This Post:
Old 02-14-2014, 05:47:42 AM
Registered

Hi Chester,
I knew someone would hit the jackpot !
Do you have any more information, and any chance of a picture or a link to a web site ?
I take it that this model is quite rare so I don't hold any hope of acquiring any parts to restore it. The motor would be no problem but the bottom of the leg and the prop etc might be impossible.
I just noticed that you are in WA. I found this one near Albany. I assume that they were sold through a Honda dealership. The construction doesn't seem to lend itself to salt or brackish water.

regards, Smell of Diesel
Old 02-16-2014, 09:24:58 PM
Registered-II

Hi, mine came from Albany as well, i dont have any other info, i will try to post a pic of mine, the bloke i mentioned above that has used one reckons it is still in his dads shed, (in the albany area as well), cheers,
Chester.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:49:41 AM
Registered-II

Saw one of these on the Ord River here about 40 years ago. Guy had it pushing a home made barge thing for river fishing,(or drinking). No idea what became of it. Combustor.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:52:25 PM
Registered

I have finally found the type number: Honda GB30 of 1964.

It was Honda's first outboard, and one of the first 4-stroke outboards.

They don't make it easy to post pictures here!

Combustor- I have a nice mental picture of the barge (and it's owner/captain !

Chester- If your friend's dad wants to part with his outboard let me know, please. (Chances are it went to the tip and is the same one that I have !!!!!)
Regards, Smell of Diesel
Old 12-07-2017, 04:06:49 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellofdiesel View Post
Hi Chester,
I knew someone would hit the jackpot !
Do you have any more information, and any chance of a picture or a link to a web site ?
I take it that this model is quite rare so I don't hold any hope of acquiring any parts to restore it. The motor would be no problem but the bottom of the leg and the prop etc might be impossible.
I just noticed that you are in WA. I found this one near Albany. I assume that they were sold through a Honda dealership. The construction doesn't seem to lend itself to salt or brackish water.

regards, Smell of Diesel
If you live near Albany i may have a original honda motor for the bg30 Its just down the road in Denmark, i think i may have the foot and maybe the prop. i would love to see this thing restored.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:59:57 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by restore man View Post
If you live near Albany i may have a original honda motor for the bg30 Its just down the road in Denmark, i think i may have the foot and maybe the prop. i would love to see this thing restored.
Hi Restore man,
Smell of Diesel hasent been on here since 2014, so i would not expect a reply, cheers,
Chester.