Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Shows and Swap Meets > Canada
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Canada Shows Swaps Announcements Discussions

Canada

What makes a good Steam Show?

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 6816 times

Old 03-31-2012, 07:03:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,120 Times in 1,796 Posts
Default Re: What makes a good Steam Show?

sorry OTTO -SAWYER i forgot to add the part of golf carts should be only alowed for the handicapped and elderly or for poeple who cannot get around. but you know something? i see so many people using them young and old and pass some one who i would think could use a lift somewear on the grounds. they drive right past them with out stopping and saying would you like a ride?and yet they are more able to get around then that person is.John

Last edited by casertractor; 03-31-2012 at 10:53:57 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2012, 08:17:09 PM
Registered-III

What makes a good steam show.

Lots of displays and stuff running.

And the Exhibitors ! Good Exhibitors that are willing to stop and chat, or who give you a wave when you go past. The shows are all made around the people who Exhibit at them. Yes it's nice to just go to a show to take pictures but I much rather see piles of stuff to take pictures of
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cerwin For This Post:
Old 03-31-2012, 08:53:10 PM
Subscriber

Well, I totally agree on banning lawn mowers and full size farm tractor before 1930's,but...... I usually take my 1967 cub cadet and little red trailer for a butt buggy and to fetch water for my engines,retrieve flea market "stuff" and to run the family down to the showers in the morning. Like I said I do take my lawn mower but I put it in the back of my display; sort of hidden,in the back.
When I take my junk to a show, I try to take 2 hit n miss engines belted to something, 2 Pre 30's garden tractors and 2 pre 30's mowers and maybe a pre 30's lightplant powering lights or something. What gets me is sometimes people come up and ask to cross my ropes to look at my lawn mower!? Heck they even ask to come in to look at my air condition! ( 40's briggs belted to a squirrel cage fan. Anyway, I do believe a steam show should only have steam engines! BUT, a steam,gas what ever show should have pre 30's engines,tractors,mowers ect.....but this is what I like, not what all the spectators like. Oh, yeah, speaking of good show, the best show that I have ever been to was in Md. They didnt have fancy ribbons or fancy plaques or pins, but they did have free beer!!!!!!! Thanks again Russel! unfortunately , that show didnt last.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tim B For This Post:
Old 03-31-2012, 09:41:08 PM
Subscriber

A good show? A swap meet full of rusty ol' junk, with a side order of greasy spare parts. Noisy, unique old gas engines and the aroma of smoke from as many steam engines that can be assembled in one spot. Friendly old timers anxious to share their priceless, long aquired knowledge with the more ignorant of us that are truly interested to know.

Onsite camping, hit & miss ice cream, and great Bar B Q. Pancake breakfast sounds good too.

Oh, and of course, at least one really special treasure that just seems to JUMP into the back of your truck.

That would make it a GREAT show! Even without free beer.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Toesmack For This Post:
Old 03-31-2012, 10:05:46 PM
Registered-I

my greatest experiances at a show are to get the belts moving on whatever is needed to run, have a tractor that performs well,& sometimes get to learn the younger ones how to run a tractor they've never ever seen before. what a thrill for them! of course I'm there to supervise. It makes a great show when, even older people ask about the way this or that makes it tick. I also show gas engines,same thing always get to vist & answer many different questions, this is as good as it gets! As to the kids on those garden tractors , They need to be eliminated & made to walk as the exercise would do much more for them!Just my thoughts on that topic. Bill R
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Riddle For This Post:
Old 03-31-2012, 10:17:06 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,381 Times in 463 Posts

A laid back atmosphere! Especially for the exhibitors. If I am already argueing with the guy at the gate, the show is going to SUCK. Weather it really was bad or not, I remember the bad more than the good. The local "big" show has a "strict" feeling for exhibitors. While a show we drive hours for feels laid back all the way. Make people feel welcome, and appriciated, and you will have a happy (repeat) crowd.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 1936JDB For This Post:
Old 04-01-2012, 10:15:34 PM
Registered-II

A few random observations from 30+ years of visiting shows, and more recently photographing shows and displaying my 3 old tractors:

Diversity of equipment. The best shows have a wide variety of stuff: steam and gas traction engines, stationary steam engines, all manner of stationary gas and diesel engines, farm tractors, doodlebug (home built) tractors, vintage earth-moving equipment, saw and shingle mills, farm windmill, well drilling equipment, oil well pumping machinery, a cane press, etc. They often even have a farm animal or two wandering the grounds with its owner.

Operating equipment. Static displays are OK. But the best shows will have lots of stuff going on. I like seeing/hearing/smelling old stuff at work. Plowing/fitting, threshing, hay press, sawmill, etc demonstrations are always good. A Baker Fan or two is a lot of fun for loading up steamers (and farm tractors) to make 'em bark. A PTO dyno for the tractor guys is always interesting too. One show had a 2 horse team-powered hay press in operation - way cool.

Unrestored equipment. I find beat up but running tractors more fascinating than the meticulously restored “trailer queens” . When displayed all together at a show my Minnie Mo “U” in her working clothes always draws more attention and comments than do my 2 restored Farmall Supers parked next to it.

Unusual/unique displays. The Western NY Gas & Steam show has had and exhibitor show up and fire his pneumatic pumpkin cannon the last several years. There's also a hit 'n miss powered central power outfit, all set up and “pumping” several simulated oil wells. Cool stuff you're not likely to see very often.

Equipment parades. Gives exhibitors a chance to fire up and show off their stuff a couple times a day.

Friendly competitions. I find antique farm stock tractor pulls, steam tractor pulls, team pulls, slow races, etc. quite entertaining. Keep the rules simple (you are entertaining the crowd in the bleachers, not competing for a national championship!). Pedal tractor pulls for the kids always draw big crowds. The WNYG&SEA runs a “sneaker pull” (kids vs a steam traction engine in a tug-o-war format) at the midpoint of each evenings’ tractor pull has become immensely popular.

Food. I look forward to chicken/pork BBQ, fish fries, steamed corn, salt potatoes, etc. Pancake breakfasts are nice too.

Flea markets. I can spend hours looking at “stuff” in the flea markets. Also, a decent flea market is guaranteed to keep my wife occupied for several hours which frees me up to wander.

Musical entertainment. Most shows have a live local C&W band or two. Or have the local firemens’ band in to perform. It's not a requirement but having music seems to bring in people who might otherwise not attend. And it seems to encourage people to stay around longer.

Friendly show staff. Virtually every show I’ve ever attended has had friendly, helpful show staff. Good staff always adds a positive to the overall experience.

----

Now a few things I can do without:

Golf carts, modern garden tractors, etc. used a personal transportation. I have no quarrel with truly handicapped individuals’ use of carts – rather I encourage it. Also carts for show staff to get around efficiently. But healthy adults and kids have no business using carts, etc. on show grounds! It annoys me intensely to have to continually dodge these things. (Observation: Seems it’s those who’d most benefit from walking that tend to most use carts!).

Correct police. These annoying clowns should stay home! My tractors are MINE and I restore them how I like, and how I can afford.

Overdressed women. They show up in expensive sportswear and shoes, then b*tch to anyone within earshot because they got soot on their $200 pair of white capri pants. Come on ladies – either dress for the event or stay back at the mall!

“One brand” shows. The bi-annual NY John Deere Expo is an excellent show. But for me having ONLY John Deere equipment to see gets old pretty fast. (How many JD A’s can one look at?!!). I much prefer the wonderful diversity of the Pageant of Steam on the same show grounds a few weeks later.

...FB
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FarmallBob For This Post:
Old 04-01-2012, 11:04:05 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,610 Posts

Hi, Tim - wondering why ban full size farm tractors made before 1930's? They are something i really enjoy looking at - especially if they run, and spectators are kept at a safe distance (myself included).

Well, I totally agree on banning lawn mowers and full size farm tractor before 1930's
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 04-01-2012, 11:54:25 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,590 Times in 909 Posts

Do yall mean farm tractors after 1930? Bill K
The Following User Says Thank You to oldproff For This Post:
Old 04-02-2012, 01:12:46 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,610 Posts

I am hoping that is what Tim meant!
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post: