Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Help with 1901 5 HP Flyball Blackstone oil engine

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 7434 times

Old 08-22-2009, 08:58:28 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,935 Times in 430 Posts
Default Help with 1901 5 HP Flyball Blackstone oil engine

I posted this in the standard engine and forgot all about the down under section. I am looking for starting and running instructions for my newest toy. Here is a link to the original post, Any thoughts? Thanks Mike
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...d=1#post438372
Old 08-22-2009, 09:41:44 AM
Registered

Thanked 4,982 Times in 1,067 Posts
Default Re: Help with 1901 5 HP Flyball Blackstone oil engine

I have never had the joy of playing with a flyball Blackstone so I am not sure how similar they are to the more often seen 'Carter' governed Blackstone. I think the fuel, governing, & ignition is quite different between the two styles of Blackstone. I will ask a couple of the Blackstone experts here and see what they know.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:59:18 AM
Sponsor

Thanks Patrick! I do have the pressure vessel for the hot tube and the pot muffler, I just am unsure of the sequence and also I assume that starting it from the sideshaft side the crank goes clockwise? Mike

PS I even have the original hand crank and man that is a true man killer!
Old 08-22-2009, 06:26:26 PM
Registered

You are quite right, the crank should go clockwise looking at the engine from the sideshaft side. Your engine appears to have an exhuast valve lockout or half compression lever below the sideshaft. This may make starting the engine a little easier although it may be possible to 'bounce' start the engine like you can with the hot-bulb Blackstones (and Australs).
I presume that the temperature and heating position of the hot-tube will affect the engine timing.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:50:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,063 Times in 561 Posts

Hi Mike O,

These engines are fairly thin on the ground both in Engalnd and Australia. I have seen a couple run and they seem to suffer from pre-ignition and knock severely.

One owner overcame this by putting spaces between the barrell and the block to lower compression, I can't recall how he overcame all the side-shaft length, cams, bearings, etc.

Another engine, would run fine on some days and then other days would knock so badly it would have to be stopped.

The continuous lamp must play a big part. I have never started one myself.

Regards,

Wayne

www.bluefuel-whitesmoke.com
Old 08-24-2009, 10:58:21 AM
Sponsor

OK, How about this. It is an "oil" engine. Does that mean Diesel or Keorseen or Just what kind of oil do I use? Thanks again Mike
Old 08-25-2009, 05:37:40 AM
Registered

Hi Mike O and others that have already responded to this question, I have picked up a few of Russell's old books to have a look at and last night I was reading a very interesting article on, of all things, Blackstone Hot Bulb Engines of 1903-4, very interesting reading. Now I am not a technical Engine man, just a tank maker for you guy's and love to help Russell with all his mechanical problems etc, The article I was reading is in the June 2000 issue no- 315 of the English "Stationary Engine" magazine, Part one of a two part feature ( I have yet to find part two) written by Nigel McBurney. I suggest you obtain a copy etc, if unavailable I am Sure we will be able to get you a copy somehow without infringine any copywrite. Hope this is opf some help to you. ( Patrick, how did you miss that ?) cheers John
The Following User Says Thank You to john gilbert For This Post:
Old 08-25-2009, 05:59:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,063 Times in 561 Posts

Hi John,

I am not familiar with the article, is it refering to the continuous lamp model or the later hotbulb design?

Strange you should mention Nigel McBurney, he is the chap I was refering to who put the spacers on his engine between the barrel and block.

Cheers,

Wayne

www.bluefuel-whitesmoke.com
Old 08-25-2009, 07:31:39 AM
Registered

Hi Wayne, you may be right there, that article might be for non contiunous lamp heat, I am not sure as it does not appear to say, yea or nay in that regard. I will see if I can get a copy to you on email.
cheers mate. John
Old 08-26-2009, 06:58:48 AM
Registered

For some good Blackstone Info try the Blackstone Web Site at:
Blackstone Site
Old 08-26-2009, 07:27:22 AM
Sponsor

Thanks again all, Patrick I have been to th eBlackstone site and I exchanged email's with Michael on this engine. As a matter of fact when I first saw this engine ayear and a half ago I had contacted him to inquire about it. Let me take a couple of lines here and tell you all the short story about this engine.

It was sold and installed into a small family business in 1901, that family had some kind of dispute some place between 1903 and 1905 and closed the doors and walked away from it not to return until 1965 when the doors were reopened and the entire contents sold at auction. The man that bought this engine never ran it or showed it. Then in 1985 he ran into some financial issues and sold it to my friend in England and ahain he never ran or showed the engine. Then a year ago July I was visiting England on vacation and just fell in love with it. I struck a deal and it was mine. It took about all this time to get it here and I just got it 2 weeks ago. so this engine has no more then 5 years of total run time, It has never been out doors. It also has all the little bits like the tool box full of Blackstone tools, the correct pot muffler, the original pressur vessel for the lamp. I even have the hand crank (I have never seen one this big) As you can tell I am quite excited about owning it because you cannot ask for one in better condition and I also do realize the rarity of it also.

So again thanks for all your thoughts and tips. Cheers Mike