eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > eBay© Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBay© Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBay© Auction Discussion

Ebay bidding program?

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 3126 times

Old 02-06-2013, 09:45:01 PM
Registered

Default Ebay bidding program?

Is there a computer program (legitimate or not) that will bid for you the last few seconds before the time runs out on an item; so you will win the auction? Or am I (or my internet speed) just that slow? Thanks for any help.
Jim in Indiana
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20:57 PM
Registered

Default Re: Ebay bidding program?

You can put in your maximum bid of what you are willing to pay for the item and the computer will do the rest for you up to that bid it doesn't mean you will spend all of the money depends if anyone is bidding against you. Just like any other auction
The Following User Says Thank You to Walter Neumann jr For This Post:
Old 02-06-2013, 10:35:03 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,199 Posts

Jim,
I'm sure that there are "Sniper" programs that will wait until the last second.
I've heard of something called, "roadrunner" but don't know anything about them. I bid manually. If you google "Sniping Ebay" I'm sure you'll get quite an education.

I've heard of online gun auctions that do things a bit differently. After the time runs out, there is something like another 15 minutes where anyone can bid again. If the original high bidder gets outbid in that extra 15 minutes, then HE gets another 15 minutes too. It eliminates the sniping, and potentially gets more for the seller. But I don't know how long it goes on. The way it eventually ends is one guy quits, and the extra time runs out without a new bid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin O. Pulver For This Post:
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,509 Times in 1,664 Posts

Jim, I've used a program called Bidrobot (www.bidrobot.com) . Its simple and easy. It's not free though and there are some out there that may work just as well at no cost.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:30:01 PM
Registered

Hi-
Here's a program called "Bidnip". I have used it, & it works nice. I think the first 5 bids are free. http://www.bidnip.com/ Thanks, & thanks to Harry
The Following User Says Thank You to Al Illinois For This Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 01:36:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,884 Times in 3,748 Posts

I just bid what I am willing (and able) to pay, and let eBay's software take care of the rest.

If no-body else bids I get it for the start price.

If one or more other people bid and run me up but stay below my limit, then I still win it for what I am willing to pay..... Or Less, depending on the number of bids.

If I get outbid, I get outbid. Doesn't really matter if it was by a sniper or one or more people placing bids manually the same as I do. The end result is the same. If you get outbid, whether it's at the last second, or two days before the auction ends, you still get outbid just the same, because someone else was willing to pay more.

Sniping Programs only work IF they place a higher bid than yours. Or If YOU ARE The Sniper, it only works IF Your Snipe Bid is higher than the highest other bid(s).... Other Snipes Included.

May as well just bid manually and Not Worry about it. If you win, you win within your price range, and if you don't win, you move on to the next item.

No Rocket Science or Secret Programs Required. Just bid what you're willing to pay, and hope that maybe you get it cheaper than that.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 04:28:12 PM
Subscriber

yeah, there is something out there, it's called my index finger .
seriously, agree with most, these sniper programs basically do the same what you accomplish with your max. bid. Some charge between 0.25 and $ 10 per snipe, depending on value. For me the exciting part is timing the refresh rate of my browser and try do to it myself. Otherwise, whats the fun. Unfortunately I have Windstream as provider, so any auction after 6pm is pretty much a loss because of their speed.

Last edited by Thiel; 02-07-2013 at 04:50:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thiel For This Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 05:40:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,722 Times in 535 Posts

The point of sniping is to not give the other bidders a chance to increase their bids. The sniper still has to bid what he's willing to pay, and it has to be above what the other bidders are willing to pay, but the other guys don't get any time to think about whether they'll throw a couple more dollars at it. In other words, I let you think you have the auction won so that we don't fight back and forth, and then I have an opportunity to win for just $1 more than your max.
I know I've wasted money bidding too early, taking the lead, and then having the other guy bid a little more, then I have to bid a little more, all within the last 30 seconds of an auction. I ended up winning because I got the final bid in when the auction closed, but had I waited until the last 5 seconds, he would have thought he had it won and not upped his bid, and I would have got the auction cheaper.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad Kelley For This Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 05:47:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,085 Times in 1,923 Posts

I aint never been much in favor of snipeing.ALL bidders should be on a level playing field.
I fiqure the shipping and such and bid what I think is fair with all cost added together.If the last few minutes I see I need to raise it,I do with my finger.
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 08:37:41 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
Just bid what you're willing to pay, and hope that maybe you get it cheaper than that[/B][/COLOR].
The thing about an auction is that "what you are willing to pay" the day before the suction often goes out the window when the piece hits the floor (the E-bay auction is ending). The problem with a sniper is you don't get a chance for the extra bid. You think you have the item until it is impossible to respond.

Sniping, in fact, reduces the final sale price because bidders who would have bid again are not given the opportunity. Many sellers understand this and do not approve of sniping.
The Following User Says Thank You to wegotallama For This Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 02:17:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,884 Times in 3,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Kelley View Post
The point of sniping is to not give the other bidders a chance to increase their bids. The sniper still has to bid what he's willing to pay, and it has to be above what the other bidders are willing to pay, but the other guys don't get any time to think about whether they'll throw a couple more dollars at it. In other words, I let you think you have the auction won so that we don't fight back and forth, and then I have an opportunity to win for just $1 more than your max.
I know I've wasted money bidding too early, taking the lead, and then having the other guy bid a little more, then I have to bid a little more, all within the last 30 seconds of an auction. I ended up winning because I got the final bid in when the auction closed, but had I waited until the last 5 seconds, he would have thought he had it won and not upped his bid, and I would have got the auction cheaper.
If you upped your bid in the last 30 seconds, then you didn't bid your max to begin with.

And sniping is still no guarantee you will win. If 10 people all snipe in the last couple/few seconds, it still goes to which even one bid the highest.

I know someone that uses one of the sniping programs, and still complains that he keeps getting outbid in the last second, sometimes with his bid not even showing up in the bid increments because it was below someone elses bid entered at the exact same time or a split second sooner, and just the same as if he had entered the bid manually and it was below the 'current bid', there wasn't time to raise it again.

Bottom line, even with a sniping program, if Your max bid isn't high enough, it will go to someone else whether you place your max bid 2 days before the end or 2 seconds before the end.

I've had things I bid on and was the only bidder right up till the end and still won even after 2 or 3 snipe bids in the last few seconds, and I've had others where I got outbid in the last 5 minutes, raised my bid twice and still didn't win, and then 'counted my lucky stars' that I didn't get it because I placed impulse bids much higher than I wanted to spend anyway. It benefitted the seller, but would have cost me dearly If I had won something for much more than I felt it was worth. So I just bid my max and let the chips fall where they may. Though I do sometimes place 'low bids' on items that I'm somewhat interested in, and if or when I get outbid, I get the 'outbid notice' e-mail and then go take another look at it and then decide if I really want to place another bid or not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 11:51:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,722 Times in 535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
I've had others where I got outbid in the last 5 minutes, raised my bid twice and still didn't win, and then 'counted my lucky stars' that I didn't get it because I placed impulse bids much higher than I wanted to spend anyway. It benefitted the seller, but would have cost me dearly If I had won something for much more than I felt it was worth.
If the other guy had sniped the auction, you would not have been able to raise your bid at all, and he would still have won the auction but payed less. The way I see sniping, you either win the auction for less money, or you don't win, but you never pay more than you should.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brad Kelley For This Post: